VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input. What is the maximum HP a K04 can produce? I have a AWE-tuning K04 Kit which I dearly appreciate but I find it lacks luster after 3rd gear. The boost spikes to about 20-21 and then falls off to about 10-12 in 4th and 5th gear. it's like the car hits a wall and is not pulling hard any longer. Some say its the injector size that limits the car, but why can't they make the kit with bigger injectors and maintain high boost levels. Also, what other mods are to be used to obtain maximum hp from this kit. Is there any other company out there that will modify the programming to support the larger injectors?
Thinking of installing a dial-a-boost to sustain high boost levels but will the motor run lien and stop ticking? Any thoughts?
99 1.8T Beetle
AWE-tuning K04 Kit w/GIAC Chip
Autotech Mounts, Autotech Clutch and Lightened Flywheel setup,
ITG Filter, Bailey's DV, Borla Exhaust, Autometer Boost Gauge,
Quaife. Hopefully more to come.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (Sarge)

I feel the same way. I just added the abd intake pipe and I am getting a CAI this week. I too would love a little bit more boost in 4th and 5th. I think that Garret may be working on a more aggresive chip for the K04....I hope he has it availabel soon.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (drm916)

Sarge-
Are 3" DPs available for Beetles? If so, grab one asap. You also need to up the exhaust size if the Borla is 2.25......Let the sucker BREATHE and it'll rip!
-Mike P
P.S. You're welcome to come down to Queens(Not the ghetto) and ride in my ko4 GTI.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (Levish)

Thanks for your replies. I saw something on 20Vturbo.com that was interesting. A stand alone computer - SDS. I am going to look into this that way I can go to a bigger injector/turbo etc and have the ability to tune it properly. At that point I will look into fuel delivery. Unless I am missing it, I have yet to see any posts on aftermarket fuel systems for all these stage kits.
Thanks again and any other opinions/comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (opinion914)

quote:[HR][/HR]tyrolkid, you dont happen to have a red gti w/ a bodykit? saw one on the 59th st. bridge. [HR][/HR]​
Nope, silver stealth mobile.....no wheels, graphics, or anything....besides if it were me, I would have tried to race you....

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (Sarge)

Sarge I'm working on a K04 kit with larger injectors 580cc injectors to be exhact. The injectors are alot bigger then the K04 needs, but I won't need a change to go to the T3 kit aftwards.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (Bug_Power)

Sarge,
Make sure you ahve the most recent program. I am not sure when you got the kit, but we did some tests in the lastd few months and tweeked the chip a little bit better, found it had more fuel then first assumed. Just give mike a call sometime and see what version you had and possible you have one from before this update.
AS for the SDS, you will have to change a whole lot to get that working, unless they came out with a plug and play ECU for drive by wire. With a whole aftermarket management you will need a new crank sensor, change the plugs on many other sensors, new throttle body, new gas pedal, both to accept a cabe setp instead of electronic. Your cruise control would be lost unless you got an old school add on setup. Plus they are not cheap or easy to install or initially setup.
Dial a boost can get tricky. As you can alreayd see the car runs different levels of boost at different rpms. Most boost controllers don't allow you to do this. So you can either spend big money on an APEX-i AVCR which allows you to adjust boost at different rpms. On your car you can't push too much boost up top so you would be limited to that on what you run down low with a cheaper boost controller.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: K04 MAX POWER and HOW TO ACHIEVE IT? (chris86vw)

Chris, thank you for your input. I guess in my haste to make power I sometimes rush into things. I think that the power you can extract from the K04 kit has its limits and my needs exceed its limits. I'm probably going to try and sell my kit and wait for the bigger/more HP kits to come out. If I not mistaken, I see a lot of companies have these kits in the works but no final product has come out for the Beetle as of yet.
Rodney, please keep me upto date on your project. If possible, I would ultimately like to make in the 300-350 HP range without having to use race gas. I spoke with George at ATP and he said that is feasible. Also, he said the kit for the Beetle is right around the corner. I guess I'll just have to be patient and with me that's almost impossible when it concerns HP.
Thanks again for all your replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts