VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the fuses for both on the fuse panel, replaced, and both blow instantly upon engaging the turn stalk.

Also replaced the hazard switch and still no luck.

Sounds like a ground issue, but I can't see anything grounded. Anyone else experience this problem? Everything else works.

2001 A4 Avant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bulbs! Should have checked them first.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem NOT solved. Replaced front bulbs and as soon as I hit the hazard switch *pop* and then turn signal stalk *pop* again! I'm losing my mind.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is definitely not a ground issue; your problem is a short to ground. What is happening is that a wire or connector that carries power to the turn bulbs or a module is making contact to ground causing a big current draw and burning out the fuse. If you want to fix this, you will have to find the wire or connector or module.

Do you by any chance have the “independent fog light” mod—allows you to turn on fog lamps w/o headlights on? If so, this is the first place I would look.

There are a couple of things you can do to narrow down your search. But you will need a bunch of spare fuses of the correct amperage to begin to test.

I will print out some wiring diagrams shortly with some recommendations of where to start.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Which direction are you applying the turn signal when it pops? Is it both directions or just left or right? If one or the other then you know which socket is at fault. Also that bulb you are showing us doesn’t look OEM so maybe you are using the wrong bulb?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The headlights are aftermarket Depo items hence the different bulb. I hit the hazards and popped that fuse. Did the left turn signal and pop. I have fuses on deck. I was thinking of replacing rear bulbs (OEM) too and starting at all sockets. It's annoying and definitely unsafe to drive the car without proper working lights.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Alright well the short to ground is most likely in your left front headlight turn signal wiring. If it is an aftermarket headlight, my guess is the wiring splice is faulty. I would open up the wiring splice for the signal light and redo it. i.e. snip the wires and resolder them. I once had a solder joint that had some pointy wires inside the heat shrink. When I when to zap strap it, I pulled hard enough for the pointy end of the soldered wire to poke through the heat shrink and poke into the ground wire causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright well the short to ground is most likely in your left front headlight turn signal wiring. If it is an aftermarket headlight, my guess is the wiring splice is faulty. I would open up the wiring splice for the signal light and redo it. i.e. snip the wires and resolder them. I once had a solder joint that had some pointy wires inside the heat shrink. When I when to zap strap it, I pulled hard enough for the pointy end of the soldered wire to poke through the heat shrink and poke into the ground wire causing the fuse to blow.
I'm going to take off the headlights today on my lunch break and inspect them wires, sockets, etc. Thanks for chiming in everyone. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't find any discrepancies in the wiring or bulb sockets. Put new fuses and pop they went again.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you take the bulb out of the driver side and turn the signal on, does it keep popping? Does it pop when you turn right?

Did this all of the sudden start happening or is this happening ever since you put the new lights in? What is the history before this started happening? What kind of work were you doing right before this started happening? There is a missing piece of information here.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you take the bulb out of the driver side and turn the signal on, does it keep popping? Does it pop when you turn right?

Did this all of the sudden start happening or is this happening ever since you put the new lights in? What is the history before this started happening? What kind of work were you doing right before this started happening? There is a missing piece of information here.
The signals/hazards worked perfectly fine with the OEM lights. The car was just resprayed and the only thing different aside from the respray was putting on the S4 front and sides + aftermarket Depo ecodes. It was only then when this started happening. Painter said the signals didn't work when I got the car back.

Just checked all bulbs and they are fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So if what you are saying is correct, I’m thinking the power wire in the connector is going to the ground wire in the lights, or something to that effect. Take your original lights and trace back the pins for the turn signals. Now take the car’s connector and mark what wire does what. Brown is ground. Now take your new lights and trace back the pins to the turn signals. Do they match? I suspect they don’t so you will have to unpin the new headlights and put the pins in the correct slot. If you are splicing everything then you must recheck your work because you didn’t connect them up correctly.

Better yet, take pictures of both head light connectors and the back of the wiring harness cover and a picture of the car’s connector color codes and post them up here.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's 105 here today. I'll remove lights and connectors later today and post. Thanks again for chiming in and assistance.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I need to see the backside of the light cap where the car connector plugs in to. The one on the inside of the lamp where the wires come out and go to the bulbs. You got 3 of the 4 pictures needed. The backside of this cover.

Also with both front bulbs pulled out, does the fuse pop when the signal is turned on?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the back end of that pic. Such a bunch of craziness and RTV'd in place too. (I didn't do that)

With the bulb(s) out fuse still pops.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ok I’m thinking the wrong thing here. The connector from your picture is for the headlight not signal light. With all those extra wires, do your headlights even work?

Anyways. Are you able to take the sockets from your old headlight’s turn signal and make them work in your new headlights? There is something wrong with that socket from the ecodes. Can you unplug the car connector from your turn signal and take a pic of the ends like you did with the headlight connector? Also take the bulb out and take a pic of the socket on the bulb holder.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Headlights (both low/high beams) work fine. Bulb sockets might be the culprit but they appear to be the same ones as OEM.

See mine vs pictured comparison:

Maybe a load resistor might be needed? I'm completely lost.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did you splice them in to your car or are you using the OEM connector? If you spliced it, please take a picture of the splice work exposing all the wires showing the connections. i.e. what wire goes to what wire. The wiring in your first picture in the last post looks OEM to me and not spliced.

You didn’t take pics of what I asked for. Are you able to take the sockets from your old headlight’s turn signal and make them work in your new headlights? There is something wrong with that socket from the ecodes. Can you unplug the car connector from your turn signal and take a pic of the ends like you did with the headlight connector? Also take the bulb out and take a pic of the socket on the bulb holder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts