Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Invest nothing in Miata, drive it into the ground

Votes: 7 18.9%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poll:Keep miata or get something more practical?

So I recently got a pretty well-paying job and now I have the itch to make some poor financial decisions. I'm currently terrorizing the streets in a 93 Miata with almost 180k on the clock. It's got its ups and downs. It's an awful winter car though. It's pretty loud on the highway. 2nd gear is hard to shift into if it's anywhere near freezing out. Totally useless if there's any snow or ice on the ground. And it rattles like you're driving a sink full of dishes. Some days I just want something a little more quiet, more comfortable, more practical. I've been test driving some cars like the Kizashi and Mazda3, and they seem like good candidates for a lease.

The Miata is a winner when it comes to handling an on/off ramp like a bauce, drifting in the rain, and just good old top-down cruising. But it's old and has some issues that would need to be addressed if I planned on keeping it long term. So I'm considering just keeping it around as a project summer/autocross toy. So what would you do?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I say that the Miata more often than not should be the second car. Although in my case it is my summer car. The music is there to drown out those random squeeks :D

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
It's an awful winter car though... Totally useless if there's any snow or ice on the ground.
Winter tires. Don't blame the car.

It's pretty loud on the highway.
*slides on sunglasses* Deal with it.

2nd gear is hard to shift into if it's anywhere near freezing out.
Redline MTL.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Keep the miata and buy a second used car.

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
18,676 Posts
Winter tires. Don't blame the car.

*slides on sunglasses* Deal with it.

Redline MTL.
get snows. i had winterforces and survived two MI winters just fine.

get ear plugs - etymotics er20

and get MTL or get ford synchromesh fluid.

buy a hitch and mini-trailer from harbor freight for a grand total of 300 dollars! :laugh:

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Just get a clean, comfortable daily driver in whatever your budget range is. Is the $1500 that the Miata is going to bring and $50 difference in insurance going to make or break it for you? I love mine. It's a great additional car. I hated my first one when I had to daily drive it. Hence the clean comfy daily driver.

·
Registered
384 Posts
buy it a turbo, and get a four door slush box for work commutes and for the gorceries and crap. Than when you get home from driving said slush box, hop into the turbo'd goodness and remember the I was like jesus and gave you the wisdom to be happy :laugh:

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I don't see the option there but I'm kinda against leasing. I say buy a nice used car. Something simple, fuel efficient, 4 door.. Keep the miata as a fun car and after driving a boring car, it'll be even more fun!

I don't think you have to go brand new to find something quieter and better in the winter. :beer:

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,190 Posts
My thoughts? Spend $12k and buy the nicest NC Miata you can get. That should get you a Grand Touring that's loaded. Fewer rattles, heated seats - and get a set of snows.

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.