VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a dilemma with myself.
I currently have an 05 Wagon with a BEW, autotragic. It's got 279k on the clock, stage 1.5 Malone tune, EGR delete. The CEL is on for I don't remember what, something with reading the PSI from the turbo (again I really don't remember).
It's been a good car, my pop-pop bought it with around 150k and my dad did all the service work. It's had Rotella T5 its entire life, the cams are beautiful, no lobe wear. It needs some new front struts, has some oil leaks (not surprising), the trans shifts good still. I replaced the fenders, though not pretty, using some correct paint match rattle cans. But hey, at least no more rot holes as big as my hand in the fenders :D
My original plan was to keep this until the body literally fell apart around the motor.
Then I found another S2 that needs what seems to be some minor work to get it to be roadworthy. Exhaust, tune the carbs (yes it has Weber 45's not the horrid CIS), calipers, and a master cylinder. Overall doesn't look terrible, clear is peeling in some spots, and there's some rust around the fuel door.
I've had a love spot for these for years, my first S2 was my pride until I sold it (and I regret it ever since).
Really up for some good discussion about it. Everyone has a different opinion on it, and maybe getting some outside perspective from people I don't know will work for me.
TL;DR: keep my pop-pops old BEW, or sell for a 16v rocco with weber 45's

·
Registered
115 Posts
So, I struggle a ton with sentimental value. But, by the sound of it, I would imagine that your family would want you to do what makes you happy, and that sounds like the S2. You've given the BEW a bunch of good years, and if you're in a place where a project makes sense, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to pursue what makes you really happy. Life's too short to not take opportunities when you see them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.