VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going OS later this year.....
Should I keep the Vento, or
Make inquiries about shipping back a Mk3 Golf Variant Syncro.......
(before you mock, remember, I am a drummer by trade......)
Imagine a 1.8t powered 140kw AWD Golf Wagon...... mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Re: Keep the Vento, Or...... (Stevemk2gti)

That sounds good in theory Steve, but have you done you car importing homework? From the brief stuff I have checked from the customs website it seems pretty damn hard to import a car yourself.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That would be one nice wagon though!

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Keep the Vento, Or...... (act:GTI)

Thats food for thought..... I love the way government documents are so easy to understand....
I think I could pick up a Variant for about 3500, and a syncro for 4-4500 pounds, so already that isnt too much..... I know shipping will cost about $5000, unless someone wants to share a container with me..... Then I have to pay inspection costs, 15% landing tax, and then 10% GST on total, if they let me..... A lot of work, but it would be bloody rare.
I messed with a photo of one in photoshop and put RS4 wheels on it. Mmmmm It looks good, but a little dodgy.....

· Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Stevemk2gti »
Thats food for thought..... I love the way government documents are so easy to understand....
I think I could pick up a Variant for about 3500, and a syncro for 4-4500 pounds, so already that isnt too much..... I know shipping will cost about $5000, unless someone wants to share a container with me..... Then I have to pay inspection costs, 15% landing tax, and then 10% GST on total, if they let me..... A lot of work, but it would be bloody rare.
I messed with a photo of one in photoshop and put RS4 wheels on it. Mmmmm It looks good, but a little dodgy.....

thanks for the research

dam shipping is that much?..........faaarq

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Keep the Vento, Or...... (Man&Golf)

Its not the shipping that is a killer to me, it is the phricking tax upon entry. Say the Mk3 costs $8000 to buy plus $5000 shipping. Add another $1000 for random costs.
Thats $14000.
Now pay 15% of that extra as landing tax. Now pay 10% more on the total figure including the 15% tax.... Pricks..... No wonder we have a 7 billion dollar surplus....

· Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Stevemk2gti »
Its not the shipping that is a killer to me, it is the phricking tax upon entry. Say the Mk3 costs $8000 to buy plus $5000 shipping. Add another $1000 for random costs.
Thats $14000.
Now pay 15% of that extra as landing tax. Now pay 10% more on the total figure including the 15% tax.... Pricks..... No wonder we have a 7 billion dollar surplus....

dam are you for real????
but its diff if u own the car in the other country for more than a year right?........
i think that taxes arent applicable then.............
that would be the only way i'd be able to import.........

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You thinking about a private import, Will? Perhaps we can come to an agreement. If Jettas were more roomy I would consider a syncro. Good modification platform and dirt cheap. Late 80's jetta syncro around 1000 pounds.....
Checked prices from UK, and dealers have them for around 4000 as front wheel drive minimum. Found a Mk4 1.8T estate with climate and all bells and whistles for 11000. Private as low as 2500..... Yet to find a syncro.

Based on a 4000 pound purchase price, car + shipping comes to around $14500AU. then whack on $2100 for landing tax, and 1600 for GST......
Looking less likely, even if they let me bring one in.....

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Man, I aint down wit da lingo, eastsiyeed.....
What is JDm?
And have seen WOT a few times of late, whats that.....
Excuse my ignorance, I only have a few hundred posts to my name...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.