VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

4441 - 4460 of 4465 Posts

·
Registered
15,507 Posts
Caught the tail end of the movie "No Country for Old Men" while packing for last week's vacation.

Put me on a Cormac McCarthy spree:

No Country for Old Men (The movie might be the best adaptation of a book I have ever seen - dialogue, settings, everything seems to work perfectly without making you say the normal "the book is soooo much better")
The Road
Blood Meridian (in the Middle right now)

I will probably get going on the 'border trilogy' next (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain).

I forgot how much I liked his style/tempo.

·
Registered
15,507 Posts
He leaves a lot of detail to the reader to fill in but in a good way.
YES.

I have read the border trilogy a couple of times before - but I am still amazed at how certain things come-to-life very vividly with his style. Sometimes the narration/description flows like pure exasperation of trying to describe everything in sight(take a random excerpt describing a landscape somewhere) which lends your brain to start popping things up and building the scene on its own and you are just...there.

Other people just get pissed at the unconventional punctuation and separation of dialogue, but I like it.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
I just got back on an Anne Rice kick, recently started the Mayfair witch trilogy.
Currently on Taltos

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
"The Arab Of The Future", by Riad Sattouf. Fun little read, whole book just took a coupla hours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A bunch of WW2 narratives this holiday season. Cheap pocket books. Bought nearly a dozen to read this month. Have read Cockleshell Heros and The Greatest Raid (St. Nazaire).

·
Registered
392 Posts
I finally read this. Mother of God, I think I dislocated something laughing. It lives up to its reputation, and has nontrivial artistic merit besides. Everything is ridiculous and seedy and shameful and glorious. Also it's pretty wild that Ignatius Reilly is a redditor in 1960. You can sometimes tell that it's either not a final draft or maybe forced edits for when Toole was shopping it, but that's a minimal point, more interesting than a knock.

4441 - 4460 of 4465 Posts