VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Keeping up with the Toasters....my 992 Porsche 911 GTS thread

20K views 139 replies 48 participants last post by  Off Pump 
#1 ·
At the tail end of 2021 I had to abruptly change practices and move states. Owning two houses for a bit I sold my 991.2 at near the top of the market. I had that vehicle for 15 months and even with taxes, loan interest and tires it cost me zero dollars to own. Not bad. I bought a M2 Comp shortly after getting settled but it wasn't the same. Started off badly and my wife never liked the car. It could perform but I really didn't love the car. I walked by a GTS at the golf course last summer and my heart started aching. I walked into my (new) local porsche dealer and introduced myself. Said I was happy to wait, just put me on the list. The list for a C2S was 9 deep, C4S was 4 deep and GTS was 1. I played around on the config and said sure, lets go GTS, my builds are all close. The estimated wait times were 18-24 months for the S models. Projected at year for GTS. That was July. Well on August 5 we had just gotten back from putting our dog down and I get a call that I've got an allocation. Wasnt the best time to tell my wife. December build slot. I originally shoot for PTS but that got stop saled. The vehicle started production in December, got through Emden in a day but hung up at Baltimore for a week). At one point I was supposed to get the RIvian and GTS within a week of each other (despite ordered over 2 years apart and one to be here in 21 and the other in 24)

Ended up with
GTS - shark blue
slick top, pdk (so wife can drive it), centerlocks, premium, bose, front axle lift, 18 ways
Alcantara with yellow deviated stitching, yellow dials to match the carbon ceramic brakes, color matched side sills, Alcantara headliner, illuminated side sills

Its amazing. just seeing the colors, so much more pops on the vehicle vs my GT silver. The overall driving experience is improved. The sport exhaust is much louder than the last, which gives a difference in modes. Interior layout is 2000x better than the button fest.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Note: PCCBs and sportdesign side skirts (wider and color matched)

Car Vehicle Tire Hood Wheel

(note yellow belts and deviated stitching, 18 way seats)

Sky Cloud Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate

GTS models come with the smoked/clear rear tails

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer

Did not opt for the steering wheel in Alcantara, note the yellow deviated stitching, yellow dials

Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive mirror Vehicle Motor vehicle

yellow stitch + Alcantara headliner

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light

I gotta thing for long brake lights

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

the gang

See less See more
#3 ·
What a sweet car and an even better story! Walk into a dealer as a stranger and end up with a 2022 allocation for a GTS at sticker. Almost unheard of. Congrats on the new ride! I told you the 992 was a huge step up in the fun category. It’s shockingly better. Enjoy the heck out of it buddy!

#8 ·
Viva Ukraine, Go Michigan, IKEA...it all started with matching the calipers. luckily I'd seen an example online of the blue with the yellow.

Congrats, I really liked how you spec'd this out. So is this a keeper car or something that you'll be playing a bit more by ear? What's your first fun adventure with the car?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I had to sign a contract with my wife for fear of with-holding for 3 years (not sure if from allocation or delivery, need to check with my lawyer) if I sell it. Lucklily she liked the last one and will drive this from time to time. Adventure - going to get it wrapped and protected, then do the Porsche driving school this summer then consider taking it out. Its a keeper for a few years, perhaps would consider a 458 or a Turbo S...but honestly what else could I really want from cars? Last month my garage consisted of a 2012 Mercedes E350 4matic, and now its as such.

#13 ·
Congrats on the beautiful GTS, I had a hard time deciding between chalk and shark blue. I love the slick top keep the paint on the roof makes the car look different. I recommend you pick up some radiator grills like I did for mine and the clear side markers. An acquaintance had damage by a stone in his 992 S and parts we're long to get.

What's your break in style going to be? I let the temps get to the right levels and drove in manual all the time going up and down the rev range. Car is healthy and fast, really fun! Looking forward to your review.

#21 ·
Beautiful car, and nice touches regarding color and specs. I've got a buddy in Austin with one similarly spec'd to yours but in a grey color. I find myself just staring at it when I go visit....such great lines and details. He swears up and down the GTS spec is the perfect 911 for the money, and I have to agree.

#38 ·
I had alcantara on my last, it was fine but didn’t add much, looked brand new at 11k when I sold it. With deviated stitch I think leather looks much much sharper. it’s a no cost sub

Congrats on the car!

Alcantara steering wheels are impractical- you need to wear gloves all the time, or it's going to get grungy unless you're cleaning it weekly.
As above, they’re not awful but I didn’t want to apec

Wait you said you are wrapping it? Or you mean a full PPF? Shame to wrap such a vibrant color. Congrats, lovely car.
front end ppf, hips and rockers. Just clear xpel

Mehhhh, the downsides are overstated when you step back with some perspective. It's infinitely better than the "normal job" I worked and I get to do ****/help people in ways no one else can. There are definitely days it sucks and I cry about it, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Excellent two car garage OP, does your wife drive the Rivian mostly or does she have her own?
glad I did medical training. Trade your 20s for better 30s-80s, plus get to do some really cool stuff
Seeing sport design front with Shark Blue has me second guessing my order without :unsure:
I love the SD (included on GtS) but I feel that the reg front has aged well. I didn’t like when it came out but now do

#32 ·
Gorgeous.

Not that I'm suggesting doing it, but I'd be real curious what shark blue looks like in the Xpel stealth that creates the satin-like finish.

Enjoy in good health. 🍻