VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, I'm just creating a thread to keep track of the progress on my 2018 R-line. We picked this up as an addition to the current stable (2009 Tiguan Abt, and my 1995 Surf Green garage queen). We are expecting our first kid here in March, and we needed a large sedan, that gets good MPG's, reliable, and (lets be honest) it had to be fun. I looked at some other manufacturer's and just kept coming back to the passat, the value seemed great.

Once I decided on that, I knew it had to be an R-Line (I love the aesthetics), Urano Grey and it had to have the lighting package. After a couple months of casual searching, a 2018 popped up at my local dealer (Carter VW in Seattle). 2018's were a great option because of the bigger warranty (6 year/72k mile warranty) as well as getting the bigger 2.0t. So we picked it up! Plan is to do a really clean, OEM+ style car.

On to the details
2018 R-line 2.0t With 26 miles purchased on January 17
R-Line LED lighting Package
Urano Gray w/ Titan Black Interior

Exterior
OEM LED Rear Fog Light
OEM Trunk Lip Spoiler
OEM Trunk Chrome Strip
OEM Gloss Black Mirror Caps
BRT Rear Window Roof Spoiler
Xpel 35% Window Tint
3M Gloss Black wrapped rear bumper trim & front end grille/headlight trim
Thule Black AeroBlade Roof Rack

Interior
OEM MK6 Golf R Front Seats
OEM Passat SEL AC/Heat Vented Center Console
OEM Enhanced rear view mirror with Homelink (auto dimming)
OEM European Headlight Switch
OEM Black interior Grab Handles/Visors/Overhead (ambient) Light from MK6 GLI
OEM Black Rear dome light from MK5 GLI (Also adds individual reading lights)
OEM Seat Cover for Child Seat
OEM Aluminum Dead Pedal
OEM Brushed Window/Door switches
OEM Passat CC Stubby Headrests
OEM Analog Dash clock
OEM Grocery Bag Hook
OEM Touareg 12v Gloss black / brushed outlet cover
OEM Trunk Hinge Covers
OEM R-Line Steering wheel badge
OEM Mini Cigarette Lighter Halogen Flashlight
Full Black Wrapped Alcantara Headliner and Pillars
MK6 Jetta Sport Dead Pedal
deAuto LED interior lighting
deAuto LED Trunk strip
ProClip iPhone dash mount

Audio
10" MB Quart DS1-254 Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate Prime R2-500X1 500 Watt Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier
UberStealth Audio Spare Tire Sub Box

Suspension | Wheels
OEM Dynamic Center Caps
OEM MK6 GTI Rear Swaybar - 22mm
OEM Audi TT front upper Strut Mounts
OEM Locking Wheel Bolts
H&R Street Performance SS Coilovers (@ 7,400 miles)
Whiteline adjustable end-links
19x9 et33 OEM Volkswagen Tiguan Savannahs w/ 235/35r19 Delinte D7's
20X8 et34 OEM Volkswagen Cross Sport 5 spoke wheels w/ 235/35r20 Nankang NS-25's
19x9 et41 OEM BBS Bentley w/ 235/40r19 Continental Wheels, Centers paint OEM Galvano Grey Metallic (Same as the stock R-line wheels)
20x8.5 et45 Rotiform LAS-R w/ 235/35r20 Nankangs NS-25 powder coated in 'Matte Black Chrome' with 5mm H&R spacer in the rear (sold)
19x8.5 et45 Vossen VWS-1 w/ 235/40r19 Continentals (sold)

Engine
CTS Turbo Air Intake System
CTS Turbo Muffler Delete
CTS Turbo Outlet Pipe
OEM Porsche 911 Coolant cap
OEM Funnel Fill Cap for window wash fluid
Neuspeed Power Module 64.10.15

The night we bought it:

Later that week I took it in to have all the cool Vag-Com tweaks done (Cluster Sweep, Key Fob Windows, LED DRL on w/ turn, Heated seat retention)

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next thing I was going to do was add the overhead switch from a MK6. Those have the added ambient light functionality, as well as being back lit. Its plug and play. Once I started looking, I noticed you could get them in black (from a sunroof free GTI or GLI). That got my wheels spinning, and I decided to buy the whole lot, from a 2014 GLI. Black Sunvisors, Grab Handles, Overhead Switch.

Everything is 'plug and play' from the GLI. I think the GTI uses different style screws as appose to the pressure clips that the GLI/Passat uses. The plan is to get all the OEM black plastic stuff, and then either wrap the headliner in Black or get an OEM one from the GT's. Im actually leaning towards a re-wrap of the headliner (maybe suede or OEM type fabric) and then get the OEM black plastic A/B/C pillars from the GT. I will also need the rear black dome/reading light from the GT

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next was wheels.

I'm going to do coilovers, to eliminate wheel gap. Nothing extreme, as I'll have to load this thing up with people/kids/etc. I wanted wheels that would fill out the wheel wells a bit more, but I dont want any rubbing. After a lot of looking around, it seems like 19x8.5 with higher offsets is pretty easy fitment, its only 1/2" wider than the stock wheels. So that's what I was after.

I had an old set of Vossen VLE's from my Tiguan. And found a local Passat B7 to trade with! He had some of the Vossen X Work collaboration wheels. VWS-1's in the graphite color. Should work pretty well with the Uran Gray

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very Nice :thumbup: so are you going to make the whole roof and pillars black too? Id like to see what it looks like installed on the grey got any pics? And what do you benifit from the Euro Switch on our model ?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. :beer:

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very Nice :thumbup: so are you going to make the whole roof and pillars black too? Id like to see what it looks like installed on the grey got any pics? And what do you benifit from the Euro Switch on our model ?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. :beer:
Yes, the plan is to have the entire headliner and pillars black. I grabbed what I could use off of the GLI because its available now and cheap. And I dont want to paint any of the trim. But yeah, I can take a picture tonight of the current state (two tone gray headliner with black plastics).

The Euro switch allows you to run parking lights when you want, as well as the rear fog option. The stock switch is just Off, Auto, On.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Rear fog light

Let me know what you come up with for the rear fog lights. Been wanti g to do something but no one on this list seems to have done it except for chinese rear tail lights. I found the part for the rear left fog light with bulb holder, but none for the right side. Need to know how to wire to the rear. A repair wire from switch to BCM, then how to get the wiring back to the rear.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ohh lookin good, Deff want to see the finished product when its all black and done.

So besides running the parking lights only and a rear fog option that requires something specific to make it work, gotcha. :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
your 1995 Surf Green garage queen is awesome!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your 1995 Surf Green garage queen is awesome!!!!!!!!!
Thank you :snowcool:

Man that looks good. I should've went black when I swapped my overhead switches.

Yeah I'm glad I stumbled across the black version when I was looking. Its just hard to find the black without the sunroof control, but they are out there. :beer:

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I like your plans brother
Thank you!

Just got the OEM Enhanced Mirror (frameless/auto-dim/homelink/compass) in and installed it right away. Very easy install (plug and play). Such a nice addition, that's very functional and looks great. Plus its black, so that will fit well with everything else :cool:

And if you want to add one to your passat, here's the matrix for the correct part # by model

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It all looks so good! I like those rims too!
Thank you!

Back to the black headliner project, the only piece that didn’t fit from the mk6 gli was the rear dome light. Turns out, a MK5 GLI piece fits! And it adds the option to have individual reading lights.

Now all that’s left is deciding if I want to go with the OEM Passat GT headliner, or just have mine wrapped

1 - 20 of 567 Posts