VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen numerous pictures on here with the kenwood ddx double din head unit installed in VW's, so I decided to go ahead and order one. now my installer is telling me that it won't fit without "major fabrication" and that its not worth it.
How did you guys get it installed? Detailed IM's or replies here would be appreciated.

· Banned
18,822 Posts
Re: Kenwood DDX Headunit (mikeyvee)

I talked to a guy at a local shop that said he installed one into a Jetta that had a double-din Monsoon system. He said he had to make two brackets, but thats about it. He said everything else was pretty straight forward.

· Registered
2,085 Posts

You don't mention what car you have, but I can tell you that the DDX7015 will fit in a MKIV without any modifications. I just installed one in my Jetta and though very tight (depth wise) in can be done without cutting any brackets or building new ones. One bit of advice is to remove the console and climate controls so you can massage the many wires around the back support and keep them from getting pinched between the stereo and the brackets. If you have any questions, I should be able to answer since I did my install.

· Registered
3,114 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mikeyvee »
now my installer is telling me that it won't fit without "major fabrication" and that its not worth it.
How did you guys get it installed? Detailed IM's or replies here would be appreciated.

eh just walk away.... your installer doesn't know his stuff... although it seems like most installers say this.... i got to do a test fit in my bud's gti(he had one until he switched to the eclipse double din)... and the instal was pretty straightforward..... i wasn't there for the complete instal but i can tell you nothing major was done.... at most maybe he whipped out a file..... and don't pay to get this done..... or let me restate that... dont pay more than 70 bucks to get this done.... your probably a lot better off doing this yourself.... by doing it atleast you would learn stuff so when it comes time to upgrade or is something breaks you are completely dependent on some monkey at car toys to do the relatively easy work for 60 bucks an hour

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.