VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to open up my Golf R on Sunday the usual way -- grab the driver's outside door handle to unlock. Got nothing. Tried the button on the remote. Still nothing. And, of course, this is about 135 miles from home, so no way to get the other remote.

Swearing ensues.

"Is it the damn fob or the damn car?"

Tried using the key to remove the cap from the keyhole on the door. Turns out it comes off much easier if you pull the door handle out.

Key unlocks the door. I open the door and am greeted by the alarm. "Well, I guess the car is okay."

Start the car by holding the remote to the special spot on the right side of the steering column.

When I got home, I replaced the battery in the remote and it worked fine, as usual.

But I'm still kinda ticked off about it crapping out without any warning.
Nearly the exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago! Came out of the movie theatre and my car wouldn't unlock. Like you I had to look up how to pop the keyhole cover ahaha. I got home and tried my spare key, same thing - nothing. I ordered two new batteries and now both key fobs work again. So strange that my spare key that is very rarely used died too. I agree, it'd be nice if the car gave a warning the key fob battery was low.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I work from home, so my cars sit sometimes. Especially over the summer, I tend to drive the Miata more often. Other than the dead battery incident, I don't remember the car ever being "sleepy".

For each car, I have one remote that I use when I'm driving the car, and one that is always in the garage. IIRC, the ones in the garage have died sooner than the ones I carry, even though they get used less. (I'm not 100% sure about this, though. Relying on my memory is always an "iffy" proposition!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW this happens to me this past weekend. 2019 MK7.5 R. No warning whatsoever. I keep a spare battery inside the glovebox which is half useless if the car won't open lol.
That is surprising. My 2019 hounded me to replace the battery for several days until I finally caved. I replaced the batteries in both fobs. It was the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think a 2 pack of CR2025's (2032?) only cost me $7.99 a couple of weeks ago. I'm just going to change them every year from now on, like on my birthday or something. It's worth not having the anxiety. I've changed them probably twice (maybe 3 times) since November 2018 when I bought mine. So, about 3.5 years. And I always thought putting the key in the door handle would ruin the paint on the handle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The battery in the spare key fob drains just as fast because with the Kessy system, the key is constantly "looking" for the car. One has too keep in mind, the key fob is a transmitter with no on/off button.

Reactions: Remzac

·
Registered
271 Posts
The battery in the spare key fob drains just as fast because with the Kessy system, the key is constantly "looking" for the car. One has too keep in mind, the key fob is a transmitter with no on/off button.
Definitely not the same key fob my new 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI came with.

2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn

·
Registered
564 Posts
Definitely not the same key fob my new 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI came with.

2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn
LOL, nope.

I actually kinda miss turning the key and the jingle of it dangling from the ignition lol.

Reactions: Remzac

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this happen once after a day of skiing. I just assumed it was stuck in a pocket where the button was pressed for a long period of time, like on a chair lift. Definitely annoying when you are freezing in a parking lot after skiing all day.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had this happen once after a day of skiing. I just assumed it was stuck in a pocket where the button was pressed for a long period of time, like on a chair lift. Definitely annoying when you are freezing in a parking lot after skiing all day.
I've had that happen during a cold hike, I had to warm up the key fob/battery.

·
Registered
2019 Dark Violet Pearl DSG Spektrum Golf R
117 Posts
I went to open up my Golf R on Sunday the usual way -- grab the driver's outside door handle to unlock. Got nothing. Tried the button on the remote. Still nothing. And, of course, this is about 135 miles from home, so no way to get the other remote.

Swearing ensues.

"Is it the damn fob or the damn car?"

Tried using the key to remove the cap from the keyhole on the door. Turns out it comes off much easier if you pull the door handle out.

Key unlocks the door. I open the door and am greeted by the alarm. "Well, I guess the car is okay."

Start the car by holding the remote to the special spot on the right side of the steering column.

When I got home, I replaced the battery in the remote and it worked fine, as usual.

But I'm still kinda ticked off about it crapping out without any warning.
I got the same. Bought my 2019 golf r a few months ago. A week later the fob wouldn’t unlock it. I was perplexed because similarly got no warning. Ordered batteries from the store, popped one in and it worked.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts