VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was made July 2015, bought in November and now says battery needs replacement (14 months). That seems like a short life. My 2001 Jetta lasted 8 years but these fobs have more functions. I use the door handle actuation to open and close mostly. They're cheap batteries and not worth a dealer visit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got about 12 months with one of my fobs. The other is still fine but I expect it to go soon.

My '99 Passat's fob lasted about 10 years. Yea, these fobs don't have as good battery life.

·
Registered
429 Posts
One of mine went out at 5 months.

My MK4 Jetta fobs lasted the 5 years that I owned the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both fobs

:mad:Purchased my SportWagen May 2015. Replaced one fob battery after 5 months and the other just went last month.

·
Registered
429 Posts
:mad:Purchased my SportWagen May 2015. Replaced one fob battery after 5 months and the other just went last month.
Glad I'm not the only one that had a battery go out at 5 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had both my fob batteries dead after 3 months. I asked my dealer about battery life being covered by warranty and received a surprising answer : Some key fobs have electrical consumption issues. They replaced both my keys free of charge and I don't have any issue since then (9 months later). I can't presume the life span will be as long as my mk4, but you should consider talking to your dealer about it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine lasted a year then the message started to come and go, so I just replaced it, it might of lasted longer, but I didn't bother to push it.

These keys have much more going on then the ol' push to unlock fobs, so yeah they are not going to last 10 years anymore, That's kinda like bitching about how your Old CRT set lasted longer than your old LCD tv.

If you leave the fob in the car while the car is off that will drain the fob faster as well.

I got a 5 pack of CR 2025's off amazon for 6 bucks. So I just replace as needed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
9 months of use...

We had 9 months of use out of the battery. The two of us just use the one fob. The Kessy system does a lot of polling with the fob, so battery consumption is higher. I also bought a multi-pack of lithium batteries for a very reasonable price. I also keep a spare battery in the car as we travel a fair bit and it will be handy should we need to change it.

H.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I got a warning that my key fob battery is low. My car was put into use back in September 2016. So, I was all worried and ready to make a federal case of it until I found out that a 5 pack of CR2032 batteries are $2.59 off of Amazon with free shipping. In addition to that, they are the same brand as VW uses (Panasonic). Then I used a coin, opened up the keys and changed them out. My real concern is that am I going to have to spend $2.08/year on key batteries for this car (not counting the 2 minutes of labor changing them out).

·
Registered
524 Posts
New Key Fobs

I had to get both key fobs replaced as they were consuming batteries as quickly as 8 days. I carry a lug cap puller (to get at the door lock) and spare battery in my jacket now.

H.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What a coincidence, I ordered one last week and i'm picking up a new one at the Vista VW here in Pompano. It seems mine works with its own mind, sometimes works within 10 ft and other times not at all even a foot away. Already changed the battery four months ago.
By the way, I found Vista tops in service! Always best to be friendly with service mgr, especially when you're in a crunch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a warning that my key fob battery is low. My car was put into use back in September 2016. So, I was all worried and ready to make a federal case of it until I found out that a 5 pack of CR2032 batteries are $2.59 off of Amazon with free shipping. In addition to that, they are the same brand as VW uses (Panasonic). Then I used a coin, opened up the keys and changed them out. My real concern is that am I going to have to spend $2.08/year on key batteries for this car (not counting the 2 minutes of labor changing them out).
IKEA also sells 8-packs of CR2032 batteries for $1.99 for those that have one of these stores in your area: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80291156/

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
IKEA also sells 8-packs of CR2032 batteries for $1.99 for those that have one of these stores in your area: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80291156/
I found 20 and 30 packs on Amazon but I'm afraid that in a few years those batteries might die out before I get to use them. Plus, the closest IKEA from me is in Newark, NJ and I'd have to drive my old TDI Jetta getting 52 mpg which would use around 2 gallons of diesel. I do have a way to avoid the $1 exit tax from NJ. So, $1.99 for 8 batteries and $5 in diesel makes for some pretty expensive batteries. Then there's probably tax on those and that drives the price up even more (probably $0.12).

I wonder if just setting up a go fund me site to pay for my key fob batteries might be a better option. Maybe a solar panel mounted on the key fob with a rechargeable battery might be the way to go. Place the key on a specific holder on the dash and let the sun keep it charged up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts