VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (mfulk)

First,
note that crack in the fob on the logo side.
Firmly grasp each side of the crack and pull so that it will pull into two pieces (make sure the key is folded).
The battery is in the transmitter portion (the piece with the buttons on it)
On the side opposite of the buttons, use your fingernails to detach the cover holding the battery. This should be the side with the VW part number.
Replace the battery and assemble the key back together.

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (mfulk)

What do you think made your batteries give out?
My keys from fall of 1999 still working great.
What makes some use more battery power than others?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (touaregwanted)

Quote, originally posted by touaregwanted »
First,
note that crack in the fob on the logo side.
Firmly grasp each side of the crack and pull so that it will pull into two pieces (make sure the key is folded).
The battery is in the transmitter portion (the piece with the buttons on it)
On the side opposite of the buttons, use your fingernails to detach the cover holding the battery. This should be the side with the VW part number.
Replace the battery and assemble the key back together.

This works like a charm. This morning I woke up went to my car press the unlcok and nothing. Heck, I gest scared becasue the car was standing all week and it was freezing temperatures in NY, thinking the battery died. I open the car with the acutal key and all the lights are on. Quickly realized the remote battery was dead. Only have the car for 7months and never really squeze the remote in any of my pockets.
So out of curiousity I call my dealer and ask if I can get a replacement, she said if it went "OUT OF PROGRAM" (Umm whatever) than they can reprogram for free. Otherwise the parts will order you a new battery. I called parts they quoted me $14.99. Fifteen dollars for a dam battery
JERKOFFS,
Went to a local hardware store got the battery for $4.00 replaced it and all is swell http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BTW - Thanks for the write up above how to dismantle the key

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (v_dj_w)

Brian?
Old news.
We had a surge of this about a month ago. Don't know why, but a lot of people had to replace the battery.
Brian?
(I asked Brian to put it into a DIY)

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
It's in there now. For whatever reason, it must not have made it into the old one before I started the new one, because I moved everything over from the old one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

I think the battery is dead in one of my remotes as well - dealer will replace/repair it because car has less than 10,000km but they need me to book the car in for service! Will try replacing the battery myself...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key fob battery question

Yesterday my fob decided that it wasn't going to let me use the unlock button anymore. The lock button and open trunk button still work, but unlock does not. Is this a sign that my battery needs to be replaced, or is something weird going on? My second fob works fine. I bought the car (2005.5 Jetta TDI) last July, so the fob has been used for almost a year, just regular usage. 1 year is all I get out of the battery?
I called the dealer to ask about this and they said bring the fob and the car in for a service visit. This is ridiculous. They said they want to make sure the chip in the car is working fine. The second fob works fine so to me that means the chip in the car works fine.
Any insight would be much appreciated. I'm thinking I should just replace the battery and see if it works and then go to the dealer if it's still funky.
Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (touaregwanted)

Thanks for the instructions.
My second key stopped working this month and my first one stopped about a month ago.
I do have my 10,000 mile service next week and was debating if I should wait or do it myself.
It's a pain not being able to remote open the door or trunk.
It's strange that they both died when my last Jetta I had for 6 years and never had to replace a battery.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (mevans)

Resurrected thread. Thanks for the info. My battery died after being out of town for a week. Car purchased 9/06. Must be a cheapo battery for it to die so soon.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Key fob battery replacement (Sincity)

Quote, originally posted by Sincity »
Resurrected thread. Thanks for the info. My battery died after being out of town for a week. Car purchased 9/06. Must be a cheapo battery for it to die so soon.

My MKV TDI just got the second battery last week (car is 20 months old).
My Passat B5.5 just had its first replacement (36 months old).
Comparing the MKIV and earlier cars to the MKV may not be valid, I think that the internals are diferent on the MKV Key Fobs, and they draw more current.
One other thing that I noticed, was that the 2025/2032 batteries used to be date stamped on the packaging, allowing the purchaser to see how fresh they were.
Now I see that the practice of dating the batteries has stopped.

Modified by Tim Birney at 6:12 AM 5-4-2007

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: (mrbill3322)

great please share. ine just stop working and they dealership wants me to drop off my car and keys for a whole day to fix it.
Quote, originally posted by mrbill3322 »
The dealer gave me some paper today. It showes how to program your key fob. That is if it forgets how to open the doors. It also has to be the same key the car started with.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.