VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if we can get a hold of the bulbs from the OE key? Not sure if the B3 owners have it. But you B4 owners may know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Key light? (B4Passat)

Before you chase down a new bulb, open up your key fob, clean all the contacts and "re-tension' the little copper contact inside. Also pull the little spring under the "button" so that it is a bit more long, that will probably bring the light feature back to life. I've replaced bulbs, then found out the bulb was not the problem...usually not a good enough contact at bulb and battery. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Key light? (TrueValue)

Quote, originally posted by TrueValue »
Before you chase down a new bulb, open up your key fob, clean all the contacts and "re-tension' the little copper contact inside. Also pull the little spring under the "button" so that it is a bit more long, that will probably bring the light feature back to life. I've replaced bulbs, then found out the bulb was not the problem...usually not a good enough contact at bulb and battery. Good luck.

What was the # for the bulbs?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Unfortunately reciept w/part number vanished long ago, sorry. Wondering if you couldn't go to Radio Shack, with the key fob & bulb in hand and check their listings? You know the dealership will have the number as well (though you're understandably avoiding that route).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Key light? (izzo)

Wow, my B4 has a boreing key.
Anyone have the part number or a good source for the key blank with a light in it?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote, originally posted by B4Passat »
Bumpity Bump Anyone have the bulb part #?

It is the same light as for the GTi and Jetta keys then the part number is N90314501, and costs ~$2

Izzo, can you give some specifics on that light; What type of flashlight, What did it cost, Did you solder the bulb in, Does it work on the same battery? Atleast break it open and post a pick. Thanks a lot.

Modified by JiMbo VR6 at 10:43 PM 6-24-2004

·
Registered
4,614 Posts

You can also try swinging by your local Radio Shack, that where I picked up my LED when I modded my flip key http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts

I bought an LED at Radioshack but cannot get it to light up with the battery.
Izzo, did you say you changed the battery or not?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Key light? (JiMbo VR6)

Jimbo, i'm sure you know a LED is a diode and therefore the polarity cannot be reversed where it can be on a lightbulb ?
If you have reversed the polarity, it probably won't be destroyed so you can correct it.
Most LEDs have some flat part on their casing where the NEGATIVE pin is, and the shortest pin is negative (ofcourse before you cut them to length).
Also in all LEDs i've seen the negative pin is the pin that is connected to the reflector inside, take a look and you'll see what i mean.
Most blue and for sure white LEDs need a higher voltage like 3 volts to light with maximum intensity.
They will not light with maximum intensity or maybe not at all on a voltage that is too low.
But it looks to me like Izzo's LED works just fine as is. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts

Yeah, I have the 1.5v battery that works the other light, I realize this is not enough to work the LED, but I cannot find a more powerful batttery that will fit under the button.
I have a 3mm red LED, but I think it requires about 2.2V.
Izzo, does your battery have any writing on it, mine has 625A. Thanks again

·
Registered
777 Posts
Re: Key light? (aalbinger)

Wow, my B4 has a boreing key.
Anyone have the part number or a good source for the key blank with a light in it?
-Andrew

I got a new one on ebay from a guy in mexico for like $40 but thats still half of what the steelership wanted!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Key light? (1995_GTI_VR6)

Thanks again Izzo I'll go by radioshack tomorrow and check it out
Quote, originally posted by 1995_GTI_VR6 »
I got a new one on ebay from a guy in mexico for like $40 but thats still half of what the steelership wanted!

The dealership told me the key was $45, not sure if the $2 light bulb or $10 battery come with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Key light? (JiMbo VR6)

Okay guys I did some hands on research.
The bulb can be purchased from volkswagen for $2.05 USD, the part number is N90314501. And the battery is a 1.5V watch battery, #625A, and can be purchased at any store that sells these batteries, I got one from walmart for $2.50 USD.
I did some experimenting, with a 3mm LED and a 3V battery. The LED did not seem to be brighter, but I was using a red LED and not a superwhite (the red was $.69 where as the white was $4.79). The LED requires a minimum voltage of 2.2V so I purchased a 3V lithium battery, Energizer #1616, $2.70 USD. The LED seemed to be about as bright as the original bulb and 1.5V battery.
The setup I ended up using was the original bulb and the 3V battery. Having 3V's running through the bulb increases its candle power greatly. I am sure this sacrifices bulb life but I am willing to trade for a usable amount of light. In a dark room it can cast light on a wall 8 ft away.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
LED's don't have a filiment like a regular bulb therefore need less power to provide the same amount of light. this also means they can last much much longer. a good LED can be lit for 11 years straight before burning out. they also don't put off nearly as much heat. their light is unidirectional, however. (they only shine straight).
motorcycles are already working on LED headlights, we already have LED tails, turn signals, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very late to this party

I know this discussion is years old, but it was helpful to me and I thought I'd relate my experience reviving a 2002 VW Carbio key light. After search around at Walmarts and Radio Shack, I did some online searching for VW parts and found the part number in this forum and the light bulb itself in the parts catalog for $3.50. I went to the local VW dealer parts department and they ordered the bulb and while there found they had the battery also for $5.40. Collected both, installed same in the key and bingo: it works like new!

I've not had a lot of luck with dealers and parts but this one was a good one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I read this thread this morning. I have a b3 with one of these keys. I'm gonna 1up you all and put a rechargable battery out of a cheap tiny bluetooth headset in it, just gotta find a nice led I have white but I want blue as it will match my car keys better (vynil wrapped them btw) If all fits which it shoud as theres loads of space when you get that old battery out. stuff paying for a new battery when I can mod one that will last indefinitely. I will post build pics next week when I have tinker time

·
Registered
61 Posts
if anybody wants the oe bulb I'm sure I can post to the us 4 less than it would cost for a new 1. I'll see if I can recharge the old 1 too. I dont want em anyway

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hate to resurrect this one, but let's team up and see if we can find this B3/B4 key uncut somewhere. The key itself, that is. I have it, but the black plastic VW cap that goes over the spring is lost.

Part number for the actual key anyone? Would the dealership have it?

1997 Passat GLX VR6 Windsor
Blue

1 - 20 of 26 Posts