VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am a new member and hopefully will soon be an owner of a gen-4 Golf. I've found a few shiny examples of these cars nearby, but I have very little information as to specific trends or problems that these cars develop at certain ages. I won't be getting the diesel, and I'm well aware of the sweet majesty of the VR6 so if the price is right, I'll certainly opt for it. If any of you enthusiasts wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge of common problems, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Cheers,
Mafatopolous

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Key problem areas of Golf (Mafatopolous)

If you want pure upgradeability, opt for the 1.8t. Best HP for the buck, but you lose the silky sound of the VR6. I dumped 600 bucks into a chip and intake and my 2001 GTI and the WHP is 220 and my torque is 255. The turbo cars are also a little lighter in the front end which some have said give it a more spirited feel. That can be debated however because I LOVE the Vr6 for it's powercurve.

Modified by SilverGTi01 at 8:04 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Key problem areas of Golf (SilverGTi01)

As far as key problems bt the engines. They're both pretty bullet proof. The Turbo is tried and tested in the Audi's as well, and the VR6 has been around for a long time! Earlier VR6 models tended to have a small oil leak issue. But they're are some threads in these forums as to how this can be fixed for cheap. I believe the newer VR6 motors have had this problem fixed by VW. I guess you have to decide if you want t torque monster or a silky strong 6 banger. My car stock (150 horse) had enough torque to spin the tires in first a little bit. Now I need to upgrade my suspension to some nice adjustables to settle the torque down:) But I'm happy with that!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Key problem areas of Golf (Mafatopolous)

I have a 2.0 liter golf model year 2000 with 96,000 km on it.
Common problems are premature rear brake wear, broken glovebox lids, MAF fails, results in Check Engine Light comes on. The problems were fixed under warranty except the brakes.
The rest has been normal maintenance, oil changes, tires etc..
Pretty good car so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts