VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and reading.. and all the post are over 2 years old.
I want to find some info stating yeah or nah on AWW K04 Upgrade. I can purchase one for around $500 used right now but it doesn't seem like I will be getting much gain with my setup.
Current realitive Mods:
34,xxx miles logged.
BMC CDA
Giac v.11 X
2.5" Tech cat back
3" GHL DP / performace cat
N75 - J
3/8" custom phenolic spacer
Lower IC pipe
ABD TIP
all recalls performed (except brake light/cruise controll thing)
Would the addition of a K04-01 make any differnce with this, or is it a complete waste of money and effort.
I am a broke a$$ college student that has about $700 to spend on upgrades. I am looking to do something that will add some noticable gains.. I am at a loss of power for the $ at the moment and want some advice before i purchase this turbo tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks

Modified by {:sylph:} at 2:14 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question (VDUBNDizzy)

I say go with the front mount as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I did the k04 thing, only becuase I got a great deal on the k04, and yes it was slightly more powerful but definitely not worth the cost if you bought everything new.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question ({:sylph:})

you should probably forget the k04, graduate, get a job & save some $ because there's not much you can do other than a "big turbo" if your looking for "noticeable gains" over what you have now. the K04 is only worth it if you get the programming anyway-not sure what giac chgs for the upgrade. plus turbo install costs, unless you can find time for that yourself between exams

take the $ & upgrade yr suspension and/or rubber http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question (petesell)

Thanks a lot guys for the responses.
I have 3 hours to decide if I want this turbo. I can get it for about $510 I think that is a good price.
I already have suspension upgrades wheels rotars and rear brakes.
I realize that there is not much more I can do without t a lager turbo setup, but thei $ is killing me.. i just keep reading and reading and I can't find anything worth investing in that will actuall improve my performance.
I probably won't get the turbo just becuase it is not a good investment.. little gains (or so it seems) for to much $.
I am buying a samco TIp in a few days, and building a thermostate regulated intercooler mister, and posibly a custom co2 cooler as well not sure.
So the general consenceious is that the K04 is a good turbo if you don't already have the K03S.
what a bummer.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts

also take into the account the failure rate of KO4's which seems to be pretty high.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question (AVANT)

Quote, originally posted by AVANT »
Nay.
Samco TIH and save for something else.

If you are into modding and plan on keeping your car for a while, don't get a Samco TIH.
The TIH is only good for the K03(S) and maybe the K04. So if you do a turbo upgrade then you can't use it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question (Stroked1.8t)

I already have the ABD tip, but it doesn't help with the collapseing of the upper part of the hose. I am pushign a solid 17psi and around 4.5-5k I can feel it collapseing i have power then i don't .. i let off the gas and then get back on it and i have power again.
I thought a Samco TIP would be the next best thing to do. I really want to upgrade the turbo but will not be able to afford anything nice like a stage II kit for a long time. I have $700 right now, but if the K04 Is not worth it.. I will just be getting a TIP and working on my thermostat controlled mister, etc.
Any last opnions.. 2 hours left before I have to give a final answer.. other wise it is going to some one else.

·
Registered
887 Posts
sounds more like maybe your by pass valve, did u upgrade it to an TT one or better?
also everything i read about the ko4s was bad, from what i took they are run at there limits and blow easy because of the abuse to get power gains over the ko3

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (brax)

yeah i have an upgraded bypass valve.. honestly I am not 100% what version it is, It was added to the just before I bought it, and the owner has "forgotten" what he bought. It looks identical to a Turbo XS valve but without the extra nipple. It is washer/spring regulated.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: ({:sylph:})

I saw some improvement when I had the K04 on my Jetta but the programming was never complete and it aways surged and wouldn't boost all the way. Overall I wouldn't recommend it unless unless you can combine it with REVO and do your own programming.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Gambit)

Well I want to thank everyone for the quick responses.. I really appreciate the help.
I decided against the K04 and will be purchasing minor upgrades with a few visual upgrades.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

well what about the abd new ko5 turbo. maybe a better gain in the long run. but also if you ever plan to go big turo, you might wanna do a good front mount intercooler, cuz your gonna need it sooner or later. plan ahead and do things right the first ime and it will save you money, thats what i say. you've read and you see people don't get much gains with the ko4 thtas why i said the new ko5 set up. or for extra power how about a carbon dioxide kit instead of nitrous. cuz nitrous is the cheapest power for your buck.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

Pistolwhip that stock turbo until it explodes! Until then upgrade everything around it in preparation.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: kicking the dead horse. K04 AWW question (KGilman)

That has been the game plan, I just have to make sure i have the $ to back it up when it goes.
It is just so depressing when I finally get $ for my car and I have nothing to spend it on. Not so big on the cosmetics, I want power... But it never hurts to look good on top of it all.
Might get some smoked tails if i can find a good price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts