VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car net disable?

Has any one disable the carnet? That thing scares the hell out of me. Not a big fan of having a microphone in my car ..i know they are listening..at least someone could if they wanted to and they know where you are at all times. Watch out those who lease.carnet = location, audio, and speed.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Has any one disable the carnet?
I'm not familiar with this feature, because I believe that it is something that is only offered in the USA (I live in Canada, my Golf 7 did not come with CarNet).

But, if CarNet uses its own dedicated controller - which it probably does, if it is similar in concept to the OnStar systems that were installed in Phaetons and Touaregs in days gone by - a simple way of disabling the system would be to unplug the controller. To do that, you will first have to determine where the controller is (perhaps another forum member might know). Once you have unplugged it, it is probable that you will get fault codes generated. You can either disregard these fault codes, or perhaps eliminate them entirely by going to controller 19 (the CAN Gateway) and refreshing it so that the CAN Gateway no longer notes the presence of the unplugged controller.

The above is the most elegant way of doing the job. A cruder, though equally effective method of disabling the microphone would be to simply cut the microphone cord. The microphone is likely fitted up in the roof module, just aft of the forward cabin lights. Take the roof module apart with a trim tool, identify the microphone wire, then cut it.

Michael

·
Registered
312 Posts
Interested in the answer as well.

Not sure if there is a separate module. This may actually be connected and controlled by the event log unit a.k.a "black box" and disabling these is lately illegal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Impinging on Civil liberties

Has any one disable the carnet? That thing scares the hell out of me. Not a big fan of having a microphone in my car ..i know they are listening..at least someone could if they wanted to and they know where you are at all times. Watch out those who lease.carnet = location, audio, and speed.
Keep in mind too, the police that have cameras in their patrol cars (the chariots of justice) and also have various computerized camera software, have among other database use, license plate scanning software that creates "profiles" of when and where the make/model/plate has been seen - various locales, near crime scenes, late night bars, drag strips, parking violations.

I dont' want big brother near my car or truck OR monitoring me.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
stlgti: Hi, we don't have CARNET down here in the very, very deep south, but I've been looking at some of the "on-line services" in you cars via the information in the telematics control module. There's some very sophisticated stuff happening in a NAR model car! Not sure if you have a VCDS cable, but if you do, it's worth a look (IMO). Here's and extract from the admap of a NAR car that I have in my data base (I've not included the settings in the list to protect the original owner:

(1)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-APN_Auth_Type
(2)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-GSM_Automatic_Operator
(3)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-PDP_Type
(4)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-TCP_Max_Receive_Window
(5)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-TCP_Max_Transmit_Window
(6)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-Keep_Connection_Alive_If_Event_Expected_Within
(7)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-TCPMS
(8)-Online_Services_Communication_Protocol-PDP_Grace_Time
(1)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Core_Service_Management
(2)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Speed_Alert
(3)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Geofencing
(4)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Vehicle_Tracking
(5)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Vehicle_Disabling
(6)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Core_Service_Telephony
(7)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-JobMechanism
(8)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Door_Unlock
(9)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Honking_and_Flashing
(10)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Roadside_Assistance
(11)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Vehicle_Health_Report
(12)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-POI_Address_Import
(13)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Battery_Charging_Management
(14)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Pre_Trip_Climatisation
(15)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Departure_Time_Programming
(16)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Vehicle_Status
(17)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-Remote_Trip_Statistics
(1)-Online_Services_Timeouts-Transport_Protocol_Timeout
(2)-Online_Services_Timeouts-HTTP_Timeout
(3)-Online_Services_Timeouts-Secure_Connection_Timeout
(4)-Online_Services_Timeouts-PDP_Timeout
(5)-Online_Services_Timeouts-Network_Timeout
Online_Services_Voice_Roaming

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Don:

You missed a few:

(18)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-The_Driver_Has_Been_Drinking_Too_Much

and

(19)-Online_Services_Data_Roaming-There's_Action_In_The_Back_Seat.

Michael

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Keep in mind too, the police that have cameras in their patrol cars (the chariots of justice) and also have various computerized camera software, have among other database use, license plate scanning software that creates "profiles" of when and where the make/model/plate has been seen - various locales, near crime scenes, late night bars, drag strips, parking violations.

I dont' want big brother near my car or truck OR monitoring me.
If a system CAN be abused, sooner or later it WILL be abused.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A VW service tech chimed in on this issue in another thread. IIRC he said it was located under the front passenger seat but that unplugging it would also disable the car's bluetooth module.

I would love if someone could figure out how to do this without gimping the car's bluetooth. In that thread the tech said that the cars registered with his dealership reported back to him when a CEL came on, when the car needed a service, etc and that it was within his discretion to contact the customer about it or not. If true I don't like the reporting at all, especially for those of us with tuned cars.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A VW service tech chimed in on this issue in another thread. IIRC he said it was located under the front passenger seat but that unplugging it would also disable the car's bluetooth module.

I would love if someone could figure out how to do this without gimping the car's bluetooth. In that thread the tech said that the cars registered with his dealership reported back to him when a CEL came on, when the car needed a service, etc and that it was within his discretion to contact the customer about it or not. If true I don't like the reporting at all, especially for those of us with tuned cars.

well, I think that last ditch effort would be to disassemble the roof gps antena/fin and cut the wires there.
I don't use XM radio anyway so i would not miss it anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Carnet app for iOS/Android lets you track the location of your car, set speed alerts, see fuel levels, which doors are open, which windows are down, and also can remotely lock/unlock (all the features from the code abovee). Even for cars without Navigation.

The Carnet GPS coordinate seems to be accurate to within about 15-20 feet. I wonder if it can be used for navigation purposes somehow ??

·
Registered
358 Posts
Occupational troublemakers

If a system CAN be abused, sooner or later it WILL be abused.
This is the point exactly. Some stupid piglet somewhere will use the data for a "witch-hunt". It reminds me of the now-fired slop-trough piglet that pulled over the dude in the Subaru. Dude in the Subie had a camera & audio recorder. Brainless pig called him "young-boy", cop was fired for falsification etc.

Unhook the connector - definitely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Who sees the data?

This is a very good question as I wanted to disable this myself. I hate the fact that there is a system that connects to the internet to relay info back.

You should hate it. Who is watching the data? Accountants, warranty people, VIN# control techs? GPS analyzers. You know your cell phone (generally) does the same thing. A 'trace' signal tells the phone provider where you are, even if the phone just has a battery in it.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts