VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I borrowed a VCDS and in the telematics unit long coding, I changed bit 0 to 0. (1 was for Carnet installed and 0 for Carnet not installed). For those still looking for a solution, this seems to work.

After having done this, I called Carnet to see if they could still see my car (apparently against their policy) and decided to have them disable Carnet from their end. Turns out, this was an option from the beginning. Although, I'm not sure if they can remotely turn it back on if they can remotely turn it off.
Disabling that one bit killed it? Did you get any error codes after operation?

Also, how did the conversation go like regarding the call to Carnet; i mean were they forthcoming with helping you or did you have to struggle to get it disabled?

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing that I learned from four painful months of repeated calls, emails, escalations, etc. with the Car-Net people is that they don't really know what it means to disable Car-net They are happy to "disable" it for you, but all that they are doing is cancelling your subscription if you have one. Especially the first line responders have no idea that this does not prevent VW from communicating with your car. In fact, I had one tell me point blank that if you stop your subscription, VW can no longer contact the car. That is patently untrue, even according to their own public statements and documents.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
You'll find it harder and harder to disable these services in the future. As of the end of March 2018, ALL new cars sold in Europe must have Ecall systems in place to automatically call first responders in the event of an airbag activation. These systems may not be bypassed or deactivated.

Accordingly, since these systems aren't mandated or regulated elsewhere (i.e. no jurisdiction prohibits the use of these systems), there is no reason for manufacturers to put systems in place to defeat them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is item I need to unplug

Hey guys so I have a 2016 Jetta GLI, I was following this forum for a bit and followed the steps shown earlier in this post but for some reason when I remove the speedometer & everything else I can't seem to pinpoint the carnet item that I want to remove? Am I missing something or do I need to open up the spedo to see??

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey guys so I have a 2016 Jetta GLI, I was following this forum for a bit and followed the steps shown earlier in this post but for some reason when I remove the speedometer & everything else I can't seem to pinpoint the carnet item that I want to remove? Am I missing something or do I need to open up the spedo to see??

You're likely missing the fact that the innards of a 2016 Jetta and a current Golf are likely different considering they're built on different platforms; and the Golf's MQB platform is a few years newer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My module in my 2014 Jetta SE is under the passenger seat.

I recently swapped my basic Bluetooth connectivity radio with a RCD330 that cones with its own Bluetooth.

I tried disconnecting both cables from the telematics unit in order to disable the original car Bluetooth. But id didn’t work! Bluetooth is still alive!!

I don’t have Carnet subscription, but would love to disable the entire Carnet and Bluetooth. Anyone came up with any solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Central Electronics Module Fault Code

Dragging this one back from the dead to see if anyone has figured out the 563221 - Databus U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message fault yet. Spent over 5 hours trying to figure out which of the over 1700 active channels needs to be turned off, but haven't gotten anywhere.

Looking in the VW Car-Net FAQ, my best guess is that the Car-Net module is pinging the Cent. Elec. module for info on door and light status based on the below.

1. Which doors and windows are included in the status display?

The statuses of all doors, boot lid, bonnet and the windows (including the sliding sunroof) are shown to you. The different statuses show whether they are open or closed, and whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. A lock symbol indicates that the vehicle is locked.

Please note that your vehicle will use electrical energy from the 12-volt vehicle battery in order to transmit up-to-date data at the time of your request. Sending requests on a regular basis when the ignition is switched off will discharge the 12-volt vehicle battery.

2. Which lights are included in the light status display?

The service shows the status for all exterior lights. The inside lighting is not taken into consideration.

3. Can I switch off the lights or lock the vehicle using the app or Car-Net portal?

It is not possible to lock the doors and windows or switch off the exterior lights using the app or on the Car-Net portal.

So, has anyone figured this out yet?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Has anyone tried coding out the communications module via the Gateway module? There's this:

Adaptations: Installation list, specified installations: Telematics Communication Unit: enabled

This should completely wipe out power to it while leaving it physically plugged in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SUCCESS!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

I took a few minutes to examine wiring from the microphone to the CarNet box, and noticed a similar pair of wires going to the Discovery infotainment module. Using a meter, I verified where each black / white pair went... sure enough, it goes in and out.

A bit of experimentation, and I found a fix.

Pull the box entirely, add two jumpers:

The jumpers connect the 4th and 5th pins from the left (left being the side where the wires exit) on both of the rows. This bridges the microphone signal to the Infotainment module. I tested the voice commands and hands free calling, and they worked! I put some tape over the connector to keep the jumpers in place and insulate them.

CarNet is removed. Bluetooth works, hands free calling works, voice commands work.

Not surprisingly, the SOS, wrench, and i buttons do not work. The now unused buttons/LED's have potential for some stealth radar detector goodness, but we'll save that for another thread.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Hi, this way will work for Jetta MK VI 2014 SE?
These cars have different platforms, but the same modules Novero-6C

·
Registered
294 Posts
SUCCESS!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

I took a few minutes to examine wiring from the microphone to the CarNet box, and noticed a similar pair of wires going to the Discovery infotainment module. Using a meter, I verified where each black / white pair went... sure enough, it goes in and out.

A bit of experimentation, and I found a fix.

Pull the box entirely, add two jumpers:

The jumpers connect the 4th and 5th pins from the left (left being the side where the wires exit) on both of the rows. This bridges the microphone signal to the Infotainment module. I tested the voice commands and hands free calling, and they worked! I put some tape over the connector to keep the jumpers in place and insulate them.

CarNet is removed. Bluetooth works, hands free calling works, voice commands work.

Not surprisingly, the SOS, wrench, and i buttons do not work. The now unused buttons/LED's have potential for some stealth radar detector goodness, but we'll save that for another thread.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Passat also has the same Novero 6c

Does anyone have a picture of the harness or what to jumper?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Passat also has the same Novero 6c

Does anyone have a picture of the harness or what to jumper?
Here's pins 4 and 5 from the wiring diagram (J949 is the telematics module). Just look closely at the 26 pin connector, it should have the pin numbers molded into the plastic. Notice pin 4 goes to the microphone (R38). The wires at pins 4 and 5 are white, consistent with them being connected.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Careful not to break off the jumpers in the socket. Copper is soft. I didn't file mine down enough and they were tough to remove. Wrap the entire connector in fabric tape. Remove (75) Telematics Communication Unit from gateway using obd11 or vcds.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Careful not to break off the jumpers in the socket. Copper is soft. I didn't file mine down enough and they were tough to remove. Wrap the entire connector in fabric tape. Remove (75) Telematics Communication Unit from gateway using obd11 or vcds.

I would prefer sourcing the male 26-pin half of the connector and jumpering THAT by soldering the jumper direct to the pins, then plugging that into the telematics connector. The connection will be more reliable.

This $5 one might be the proper one, but I'm not certain:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_51

·
Registered
113 Posts
For those who are reluctant to carry out such major surgery, there is an expensive alternative. With help from VW of North America, the dealer can put the Car-Net system into "Flight Mode" which disables all cellular communication.

I came across this bit of information in a quote from Frank Weith (General Manager, Connected Services, VW Group of North America) on this page: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160809-your-car-is-not-your-friend

I spent four months going in circles with Customer Service trying to get Car-Net disabled. It was a byzantine nightmare of stonewalling, deflection, dissembling, and outright lies. At every turn they denied that it was possible. But they eventually relented and agreed to connect my dealer with the people at VW who could tell them how to do it. They charged me $500 to do it (price set by VW - the dealer wanted to do it for free). I suspect that you could negotiate a lower price from your dealer. VW obviously wants very much to discourage this. I'll leave it to you to speculate about why.

If you try this, and Customer Service claims it can't be done, I can provide a phone number for the guy who finally agreed to arrange it. Write to me at [email protected].

I appreciate that Car-Net provides services that some people find useful, but at the expense of a) loss of privacy; and b) exposure to hacking risk. To me that cost is too high. I can easily imagine a someone hacking into VW's systems to disable every VW in north America for fun ... or ransom. As the owner of the car it should be my prerogative to give up the Car-Net services in exchange for immunity from such hacking and privacy invasion. And it shouldn't cost $500.
Thank you for this very helpful piece of information! I am not a VW owner (yet) but Car-Net concerns me. Just curious does Bluetooth still work with Car-Net in Flight Mode? How about GPS live traffic data?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can you tell me who the supplier of the TCU gateway is, please? Many thanks!!

201 - 220 of 226 Posts