VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 yo is already enrolling for kinder and I can't believe how fast time flies. We got her into one of the best schools in the school district which is outside of our neighborhood school. We did it legit, have a rental, bills, receipts and everything else for a house in the neighborhood. I know the majority of the staff and have for the last decade.

So, we had our first gathering with other parents and an old high school acquaintance sees me and we start chatting. He gets up in my business about where we physically live, how we got into this school and the whole nine yards in front of the other parents. My wife is looking at me like "WTF ARE YOU DOING, stfu already?!" So, I politely tell him we'll talk after the tour is over. I don't think he did any of this maliciously, but have a ****ing clue.

The funniest part is we get assigned numbers for enrollment via a "lottery". 100 spots available, and he gets 11X out of 11X+1 (he'll still get in over the summer because other kids will move, go to a private school, etc.) but he keeps asking me what number I have. I don't want to tell him because I don't want him to raise hell.

Ahhh... the joys of school aged kids... :p

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Totally.:laugh:

No, I just know the exact parent that you ran into and we vowed when we recently moved, that we'd do everything in our power to not ever meet them. As a grown ass adult, that little bitchy attitude that he had with you would not go over well with me.

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty laid back and it threw me for a loop. My wife was about ready to murder him right then and there. So, my plan of action at the point of finishing up the tour was to shake hands and say hello to every single staff member that we saw. It worked. The guy got the hint and just left.

He says to me later, "I saw you really did know everyone on that campus". Yes, I wasn't lying you jackass. It pays to know people. That's my job and this is one tiny reward.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
My 4 yo is already enrolling for kinder and I can't believe how fast time flies. We got her into one of the best schools in the school district which is outside of our neighborhood school. We did it legit, have a rental, bills, receipts and everything else for a house in the neighborhood.
OK - I'll be jerk. You said you did it legit but it sounds like you didn't. Do you live in the district or are you just making it look like you live in the district?

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I physically live in the school district, but outside this school's neighborhood lines. I also rented a property within the neighborhood lines so I'd have access to the school. It's our intention to move within the neighborhood by time the four year old is still attending the school.

We like the neighborhood, but the price of admission into one of the houses during the time we bought this current house was astronomical.

You can be a jerk, I knew someone would ask. :peace:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I physically live in the school district, but outside this school's neighborhood lines. I also rented a property within the neighborhood lines so I'd have access to the school. It's our intention to move within the neighborhood by time the four year old is still attending the school.

We like the neighborhood, but the price of admission into one of the houses during the time we bought this current house was astronomical.

You can be a jerk, I knew someone would ask. :peace:
So, your "acquaintance" that questioned if you had a right to be there had every right to do so then ? Can't see what they did that was so wrong, guess in front of others is being a bit obnoxious but my guess would be he thought you were scamming the system, which in a way you are, aren't you ?

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, your "acquaintance" that questioned if you had a right to be there had every right to do so then ? Can't see what they did that was so wrong, guess in front of others is being a bit obnoxious but my guess would be he thought you were scamming the system, which in a way you are, aren't you ?
I pay my taxes: federal, state, local. I'm paying a mortgage and rent (therefore property taxes on both properties, most likely). This in my mind, is no scam.

We can register without being a neighborhood family, the main difference is we wouldn't have received a lottery number... and we'd still probably get in.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Fair enough, I'm only suggesting "why" somebody might think you were scamming the system and then react as they did. Still not sure what they did that was so "horrendous", if it's all above board surely there's nothing for you to get upset about ? All you have to do is explain the situation to him isn't it ?

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
What I took away from this was the fact that this douche bag thought he was so smug and cool, so he figured he'd call titleist out in public to put him on the spot. Sounds to me like he got a little creative within the rules and it payed off.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
We got her into one of the best schools in the school district which is outside of our neighborhood school.

We did it legit, have a rental, bills, receipts and everything else for a house in the neighborhood.

Yes, you are the loser.

"Hey look, I've created a false paper trail to make it appear as though I live in the boundary when I really don't."

Setting a great example for your kids and others.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Yes, you are the loser.

"Hey look, I've created a false paper trail to make it appear as though I live in the boundary when I really don't."

How is it false? It's not like they're just using a fake address or something. The man said he legitimately owns a property there; I.E. utilities etc etc. As well as he lives in the school district. Albeit not in the schools neighborhood. I don't see what the huge problem is.

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, you are the loser.

1) we'll be moving into the neighborhood by time our second one hits kinder age
2) I don't want to have to deal with transfers and social circles by time the older one would start
3) ALL of the neighborhood kids will be accepted
4) they DO accept outside neighborhood kids.

Man, why are your panty's in a bunch? So, basically what you are saying is you wouldn't do what's in the best interest of your kid's education? Yeah. Sure. The administration of our neighborhood school has recently (after we bought our house) turned into a nightmare and I'm not going to pound sand while they figure their **** out.

Ultimately, I have a good idea that my kids will understand the things we did for them was to make them good, kind people, not to be liars and cheats.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts