VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through all the knee bar threads and non of them mention the blower fan on passenger side? How do i get that out of the way in order to remove knee bar? This is in a 90 cabriolet.
Gas Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Audio equipment Bumper

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
That is an aftermarket fan. The original blower motor is behind the center of the dash at the top of the heater box. You will have to look for mounting screws on that one to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing, I knew it wasn't like that on the 81 when I took the knee bar out, but I didn't want to be the first one to say it because I couldn't remember if I ever took the knee bar out in the 92 and thought that maybe they had changed the design along the way. I should have just checked Kammy's site to verify it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I knew it wasn't like that on the 81 when I took the knee bar out, but I didn't want to be the first one to say it because I couldn't remember if I ever took the knee bar out in the 92 and thought that maybe they had changed the design along the way. I should have just checked Kammy's site to verify it.
Yep, that site is a treasure, I’ve had the knee bar out of my 92 more times than I wish I had and the fan is 100% not there. It is a interesting solution to replacing the fan since AC fans are discontinued. The wiring is a big giveaway for it not being original, the connector also looks to be much more modern than the blocky ones in the rest of the car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ugh thats what i was afraid of. Its looking more and more like the dash itself has to come out. All for an ignition switch.
When I pulled my dash I took the knee bar out first, you may be able to get it out without removing it but I don’t know for sure. Even if you get the dash out the fan will still be behind the knee bar, you will just have access to the top. Double check that you cannot find any fasteners for the fan before you pull the dash, you might get lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts