VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to run a knockbox and a 7 pin icm setup with my carbs and am having trouble finding a good diagram to follow. Ive been searching for a while and cant turn up what I need. All I can find are people saying "Yeh, I run a knockbox setup"

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
The diagram from a Bently for any 16V with cis-E like what a 16V Scirocco runs should work. Since the spark is independent of the fuel, all it needs is power, a vacuum signal and the signal from the dizzy to work.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Do you have the Bently Manual for the car this came from? I think it should show how the pins are ordered out in the connector. Or you can look on the connector for the pin numbers. And the wire colors are on the diagram, you should be able to figure it out with those alone.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the Bently Manual for the car this came from? I think it should show how the pins are ordered out in the connector. Or you can look on the connector for the pin numbers. And the wire colors are on the diagram, you should be able to figure it out with those alone.
I guess it would help if I had the connector:rolleyes: I got the wiring diagram from driversfound.com not a bently, though it would be really helpful if I got one.

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
FV-QR

generally in the computing world a 15 pin connector would have this sort of standard pinout...

Note that it says male connector, that's the half with the pins sticking out if you weren't sure, a female connector has holes instead of pins ;)

NOW as far as the knock box is concerned, i really don't know for sure

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or you could ditch the knockbox and go for the simple ignition setup with 6 wires , or 2 wires with points......
this doesnt seem too complicated to me, plus the benefits of it are great compared to others. Running a knockbox is about as good as its going to get next to programmable, which will be my next step once cash allows. The knockbox has a 3d timing curve which is what im after.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If anyone could help me out with wiring it would be greatly appreciated, I only have 3 wires left that are unknown. Ive looked at 3 diagrams and cant figure it out, I know brown is ground but why two? One wire is green\yellow the other two are straight up brown

By ncbrock at 2011-12-31

Also according to all 3 I should have two brown\yellow's (which I dont) and on the 2nd diagram it says for the brown\yellow to go to the starter, and on the 3rd diagram it says for the brown\yellow to go to the fuel pump (which you cant see)

By ncbrock at 2011-12-31

By ncbrock at 2011-12-31

By ncbrock at 2011-12-27

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
what is at the other end of them? The diagrams don't show any grn/y wires,,, What car is the stuff you have from, maybe looking at a diagram for that car would help.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
I guess it would help if I had the connector:rolleyes: I got the wiring diagram from driversfound.com not a bently, though it would be really helpful if I got one.

This is what you need, a Bently for the yr make and model that what ever you have came from. When we swapped a 16V into the 80' and ran it on the 80's CIS and used the 87's knock control ign, we had both manuals, it basically made the whole operation plug and play. And it made stripping the wire harness for the ign very easy and we never had any problems with the spark from day one. If you don't have the correct tools for the job, you just make it that much harder. And the Bently Manual is a tool that makes all this stuff that much easier. GL

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Dunno, when we removed the harness for the knock box/spark control on the 16V Scirocco, everything was on the motor side of firewall, nothing went inside the pass compartment. Another reason to have the correct tools.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts