VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the post suggests. knock sensor 1 (G61) came for a visit and brought some friends along for the ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Car info:
2004 Golf R32 / NA / UM tune / 264/260 tt cams / CAI / Headers / Hi-Flow Cats / + lots more
Miles:

Error codes:
16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61)
P0328 - 001 - Signal too high - intermittent - MIL ON
17573 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1
P1165 - 002 - system too rich
18613 - Performance Malfunction in cooling system
P2181 - 008 -
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Symptoms:

• Tapping noise under load in the lower end of the rpm band or while parked and revving.
  • Loss of power.
  • water temp gauge on the dash often does not move or takes an extra long time to register temps.
  • initial Throttle response has decreased.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagnosis:
(Data Log .txt file available on measuring blocks 001, 010, 020 )

- Discovered my Knock sensor 1 (G61) has been re-wired to use the short stubby 2 pin knock sensor with no lead wire, so now there is one wire from the wiring loom side that is doing nothing.

- Replaced Knock sensor with like for like replacement. (since my car was operational like that for over a year and no issues, but also made sure to insulate it the best i could.

- Torque to spec 20NM/15lbs with Precision Instruments branded Beam style torque wrench.

- Replaced Coolant temp sensor.

- Purchased new Thermostat w/gasket (will be installing it later tonight and update this post)

- The Gaskets for my after market headers where done and have been replaced.

- inspected group 032 in VCDS to address fuel trim. partial additive shows 7.0% and idle is -3.9%

- inspected group 002 to test MAF, peak flow through 2nd gear was;
Mass air flow - 180.06g/s
Injection timing - 1352ms
Engine Load - 80.5%
Engine speed - 6640rpms

- I will also be re testing with a new Mass airflow sensor later tonight as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you have a knocking noise in lower end then why not get a knock sensor code for that knock?
Good Luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a knocking noise in lower end then why not get a knock sensor code for that knock?
Good Luck
Not understanding your message. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A knock sensor detects engine knock.
Vibration like knock with a hammer.
Engine knock sensor is how ECU knows to advance or retard timing.
By sensing vibration in motor.
An engine that the lower end has a mechanical problem is a vibration.
The ECU see's the vibration and can't control it with timing.
The ECU puts the check engine light on telling you engine is knocking and I can't control it.
The knock sensor isn't bad.
The rattle is a vibration. The ECU can't hear the rattle (No ear's to hear with). But it can feel it.
Basically Knock code is most likely the rattle.

If bottom end rattles that's where to start.

My smart a$$ point was... If engine knocks why be surprised if you get a knock code tell you?

Good Luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None taken any feedback is appreciated what do you make of all the info I acquired? Do you feel like it points to anything specific? I’ve addressed the extra air being pulled in from the exhaust manifolds, and based on the fuel trim it looks like it’s possibly pointed to a mass airflow sensor issue. I swapped it with a new one that I had and now that code is gone and the only thing I have left is that knock. I was pretty sure it’s due to definition and not because of a worn out bearing.
But I’m not 100% sure on how to towel what’s the information I have so far. Not sure if this makes a difference but why I pulled the plug for the coil on cylinder one and the knock was gone. The only thing I can think of is that if it’s not due to a worn out bearing perhaps because of the excessive timing pull and detonation that the issue may be with the piston head or a valve shrug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts