VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell if my knock sensor is perceiving ping while driving? On my Corvette I was able to hook up a laptop but of course I cannot do that with CIS-E. It sounds like I may be getting a periodic ping but it is hard to tell and with my rich AFR I wouldn't expect it.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
A knock sensor is like a microphone. If you could tap into it, you'll hear all kinds of noises. It's up to the computer to determine if the noise is knock or not.

That said, if you could tap into the sensor, you would have to set your VOM to millivolt. Then you should see a signal. A scope would be a better way. The issue is what are you going to do with that information. You probably could not see when the knock is starting to happen, but could see it when it's really bad.

·
Registered
771 Posts
About all you can do is test the knock sensor system based on what is in the Bentley service manual.
Ignition > 4.4 Knock Sensor System Fault Diagnosis (engine codes HT, RD, PL, 9A)

Also make sure the timing is set correctly.

If everything looks good then what octane are you running? If 87 then try 89, the next grade up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About all you can do is test the knock sensor system based on what is in the Bentley service manual.
Ignition > 4.4 Knock Sensor System Fault Diagnosis (engine codes HT, RD, PL, 9A)

Also make sure the timing is set correctly.

If everything looks good then what octane are you running? If 87 then try 89, the next grade up.
I am running 93. If anything my timing might be 2-3 degrees advanced but I might move it back to stock.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts