VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the blown factory turbo on my a4 b5 awm......with a turbo from a 98 passat, it doent seem to have the get up and go it had before the original went out.... i've heard that this a4 had a ko3s and there is some difference to them but that much? i mean its a turd now , takes forever to spool up........... only way to get it to move decent is to engage the tiptronic..... would the car going into limp mode have any effect on this? i mean i cleared all the code and the cel.... so whats the tex think?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: ko3 vs ko3s (plynch)

Quote, originally posted by plynch »
i replaced the blown factory turbo on my a4 b5 awm......with a turbo from a 98 passat, it doent seem to have the get up and go it had before the original went out.... i've heard that this a4 had a ko3s and there is some difference to them but that much? i mean its a turd now , takes forever to spool up........... only way to get it to move decent is to engage the tiptronic..... would the car going into limp mode have any effect on this? i mean i cleared all the code and the cel.... so whats the tex think?

I would check all of your connections, electrical and vac lines.There should be no difference between th4e k03 and k03s as far as spool or acceleration goes, especially since you are using the same ecu no matter what. There was very little difference between these two turbos to begin with.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: (plynch)

thats what i thought too but a buddy of mine with a 1.8t gti says they are diff in spool time.... maybe the actuators on the turbos are diff? or i hooked the tubes on the n75 valve up wrong/ backwards? still idles and runs fine , but just doesnt spool very fast at all...

The actual difference in spool times are less then 200rpm different. Which is so low in the power band it shouldn't even make a noticeable difference. I've driven cars with k03, my car had a k03s and now a k04-001. All of these are within a few hundred rpm of each other and using the stock ECU should be virtually indistinguishable from one another.
I would defiantly check all my connections, make sure everything is good and tight.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (sys3175)

total of what i did.... replace defunkt turbo with turbo off 98 passat with 98k... minimal shaft play......timingbelt, acc.drive belt, thermostat, waterpump, tensioners, cleaned the maf with maf cleaner, and cleaned all the oil out of the intercooler piping... i had the n75 valve completely detatched but made sure the bottom tube went back to the intake, and the left and right went to the turbo... i just switched these around to no noticable differnce.... i checked the intercooler for leaks when it was off.... old turbo had about 1/2-3/4 inch play front to back......

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: ko3 vs ko3s (plynch)

i;m an idiot!
i switched the tubes on the n75 valve from the wastegate and the cold side and bam! its back.... had'em assbackwards http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Well.. Atleast it works now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts