VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the shocks and struts for other kits like the FK and the KW are made by koni. I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference. I'm thinking about getting the koni threaded or the KW Variant2, but it seems like its just a difference in price and the spring, is the spring worth that much?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (JettaIVT)

What kind of prices are you seeing for both sets?
The price for coilovers can vary from $1000 -> $1800 for the exact same kit, but from two different sources. Springs shouldn't make much of a difference in price.
You are right tho'... I'm sure the Koni shock on both models is probably the same, especially since the dampening is adjustable (no custom valving, etc.).
Of course the spring perch and springs are different. I don't believe the Koni coilovers use the 'tender spring', as the KW's do.
FK non-adjustables have Sachs shocks.
FK fully-adjustables have Koni shocks.
I wonder if KW uses the same set-up as FK (Sachs and Koni)?
Either way, if you are looking for fully adjustable coilovers, I'm sure all of those you listed are fine. If not, then I would stick with H&R coilovers!

G

·
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (chuck_simpson)

To quickly answer your immediate questions, the Variant 1 dampers are manufactured to our specs using our proprietary valve technology by AL-KO. Koni manufactures the Variant 2’s, again to our specifications.
The main difference between KW dampers and other brands that Koni manufactures for is the tuning. The BUILD quality is the same, but the KW tuning technique allows for the superior ride characteristics at any lowering level, and by contract is not allowed to be used or sold to any other manufacturer.
For the full story on the KW Coilover systems, check out the all new www.kwsuspensions.com.There you will find a full explanation of the KW tuning process, along with the differences between most dampers and KW's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (KW Suspensions)

Cool! Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanks, I may just go with the KW's.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (JettaIVT)

Kw suspension: I want to know about the variant 1 ride characteristics???
How stiff they are?? Are they comparable to the H&R coilovers??

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (KW Suspensions)

Quick question: How is Koni's lifetime warranty fulfilled when the shocks are built to your specification and not off-the-shelf products from Koni? If a shock blows can I contact you guys for a replacement? What if the coil-overs are purchased from Germany (my friend's VW)??

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (Syncronicity)

quote:[HR][/HR]Quick question: How is Koni's lifetime warranty fulfilled when the shocks are built to your specification and not off-the-shelf products from Koni? If a shock blows can I contact you guys for a replacement? What if the coil-overs are purchased from Germany (my friend's VW)??[HR][/HR]​
If it is a koni and not KW or FK unit I would contact the North American importer for koni if there is one(your friends situation)......
If not, the shop that sold the koni's to you should honor the warranty

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: Koni/KW Coilover question (lopes)

That wasn't what I asked... KW coil-overs use Koni shocks. So if one blows (and since they have lifetime warranties) I'm wondering if that warranty is honored directly through KW. And in particular if it would matter if the coil-overs were bought in North America or from overseas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.