VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shocks, not coilovers...
I've noticed the koni shocks run less than bilsteins (not by much though). I've never really heard why that is. What are +/- of each and why did you buy yours? Is it "name" recognition? Superior design?

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (VR6OOM)

What are you trying to accomplish? If you plan to lower the car and feel that a spring/shock combo is cheaper, you ought to save your money and just get coilovers. My main reason for getting coils is because I am so picky on the ride height being "perfect" and the dampening has to be adjusted "perfectly" also. If it were me, just save the dough and get coilovers, you will more than likely be glad that you did. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (jettin123)

Quote, originally posted by jettin123 »
What are you trying to accomplish? If you plan to lower the car and feel that a spring/shock combo is cheaper, you ought to save your money and just get coilovers. My main reason for getting coils is because I am so picky on the ride height being "perfect" and the dampening has to be adjusted "perfectly" also. If it were me, just save the dough and get coilovers, you will more than likely be glad that you did. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I've had coils in the past and never adjusted them. I'm looking for a comparison between Koni and bilstein shocks...doesn't matter which "model".
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,667 Posts

The problem w/coilovers is uneven tire wear if they're not adjusted perfectly. To do it properly, the car should be corner weighted.
Bilsteins are single tube gas pressurized shocks, Konis are twin tube hydraulic shocks w/rebound adjustment. I tend to prefer the feel of Bilsteins.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (15DGR V6)

Quote, originally posted by 15DGR V6 »

Bilsteins are single tube gas pressurized shocks, Konis are twin tube hydraulic shocks w/rebound adjustment. I tend to prefer the feel of Bilsteins.

x2, I prefer gas over hydraulic. FWIW, the H&R coilovers use Bilstein dampers.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts

From a pure performance standpoint the bilsteins are a better design. Twin tube shocks are more prone to shcok fade, which is basically when the oil inside the shock starts to foam, and the shock loses its ability to dampen. On a street car its of little concern though. The biggest advantage to koni is the adjustability, but they essentially only have 3 or 4 settings in the entire range of adjustment. If you really want some good info about the performance of these two shocks, go to the suspenion forum and search for a thread created by pyce. It may be linked in the FAQ. He basically dynoed both shocks, and it does a good job of running through the differences.
Personally I prefer Bilstein shocks over Koni. They tend to last longer and I like the way they feel better.
wrh3- both shocks are hydraulic as they both use oil. Bilstein uses a pressurized gas charge to prevent foaming and Koni uses a "bag" of low pressure gas to prevent foaming.

Modified by NOVAdub at 2:05 PM 5-13-2007

·
Registered
72 Posts

Both shocks are excelent. I prefer the KONI valving on a performance car. Plus the adjustments allow for future suspension upgrades. As far as life I think the KONI are the best. I have a set on a Triumph for 27 years, over 100K miles, and couple hunded auto-Xs. Still set on the softest setting.
I am in the process of puttting a set of KONI Sports on the R32 now. I expect to remove some of the bobble out of the power to brake transistions.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (Back2Dubs)

Quote, originally posted by Back2Dubs »
I think 'NOVAdub' was referring to this comparison:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2011200
That is one, there is another that was doen for the FWD mk4 stuff as well that also has good info.
"Koni's will not react as immediately as the Bilsteins (on the compression cycle), but the ride will generally be more relaxed and 'comfortable' when the Koni rebound is set to the same value as the Bilstein. The Koni damper can also 'bottom-out’, but it would take quite a bit of force. "
These are two of the reaosn Ive always liked bilstein. A lot of people think the bilsteins are too stiff because of how fast they react to suspension movements. This gives them a harsher feel but that also translates to more road feel which I like. Also when used in lowered cars Konis tend to blow out the foot valve, which is why I think I had longevity issues when I had them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (NOVAdub)

Quote, originally posted by NOVAdub »
That is one, there is another that was doen for the FWD mk4 stuff as well that also has good info.
"Koni's will not react as immediately as the Bilsteins (on the compression cycle), but the ride will generally be more relaxed and 'comfortable' when the Koni rebound is set to the same value as the Bilstein. The Koni damper can also 'bottom-out’, but it would take quite a bit of force. "
These are two of the reaosn Ive always liked bilstein. A lot of people think the bilsteins are too stiff because of how fast they react to suspension movements. This gives them a harsher feel but that also translates to more road feel which I like. Also when used in lowered cars Konis tend to blow out the foot valve, which is why I think I had longevity issues when I had them.

I liked the R32 Euro Bilsteins, but for rougher roads I prefer the Konis.
I've been running the Koni Sports with the Euro Springs since around June 2004 on the R32 (around 40K). So far, so good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (JeffL)

Quote, originally posted by JeffL »
Both shocks are excelent. I prefer the KONI valving on a performance car. Plus the adjustments allow for future suspension upgrades.

I like both shocks too, but also prefer Koni due to the adjustability. I've put 100K miles on a set before without any noticeable wear.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Koni -vs- Bilstein (zippy_109)

Quote, originally posted by zippy_109 »
I went with the Koni for the adjustability. They work well with the stock springs and allow me to really tighten it up for AutoX days. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Did this lower the car any?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VR6OOM »
Did this lower the car any?

Nope. The ride height is set by the springs the dampers are just dampers. But.. the stock springs do settle quite a bit over time. My car sits noticibly lower now than when it rolled off the lot. I just wish I would have measured it then so I would have something to compare it too. Thankfully it no longer has the SUV look.

·
Banned
3,133 Posts

FREE shocks mount/bearing kits with purchase of KONI Sport shocks through MJM!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.