VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Re: kUMHO TIRES? How do they look and perform? (GTeyeVRsix)

I have the Ecstas...Been on the car for almost 20k...I don't track the car, but I happily do some spirited driving. The tires performed well for almost 15k, but once they start to wear down they get screachy and really don't hlod the corners...They're not bald, but they're about due.
DO NOT leave these wheels on for the fall/winter months, they suck really bad
I only did because I was too lazy to put on some winter steelies...I had one bubbled tire at around 17k...Other than that, they are good value performance tires.

· Registered
4,000 Posts

I had Kumho Ecsta's on my Passat with 17's before I traded in and they perfomed very well for the first few months and then they got very loud. I put about 12k miles on them and they may have had another 10k on them.

· Registered
59,645 Posts
Re: kUMHO TIRES? How do they look and perform? (G3T3I7)

Quote, originally posted by G3T3I7 »

DO NOT leave these wheels on for the fall/winter months, they suck really bad
I only did because I was too lazy to put on some winter steelies

I don't think he'll have a problem with fall/winter in Melbourne, FL

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Re: (LuvMyVDub1.8T)

I am running the Kumho Ecsta MX, 235/35-19s. So far I like them alot and they look fine.
I am running the Paradas on my Jetta and the Kumho are way quieter.
This is the closest pic I have.

· Registered
4,434 Posts

I have the Kumho Ecsta 711s and like them a lot. I did hear they were bad for snow, but I live in SoCal, so who cares!
Thier performance is great for the price. I think the sidewalls look good too. (sorry no close up pics)

· Registered
2,598 Posts

I have 225/45/17 Supra 712's ... I can't really compare them to other performance tires as the only comparison I've hard were the stock Michelins on my 15" steelies. Along with the larger wheels I have now they certainly make the car feel more planted and confitdent in turns. A bit noisy imho and also wear out quickly (20-30k miles) but definately a great value... $30-60 cheaper than other tires in thier class.
Great dry traction, great wet traction, absolutely no traction in the snow

· Registered
Blackwing, Model 3, S2000, i3, Odyssey
15,851 Posts

The Kumho Ecsta 712s are an OK summer tire. Their best point is their price and wet weather traction. They do tend to be a bit loud, and they squeal a lot in corners. Their dry grip is not as good as other summer tires. Overall though, they last a relatively long time and are very inexpensive.
Kumho Ecsta MX, on the other hand, are great. They are some of the grippiest street tires you can buy. They are not as good as say, Falken Azenis, but they are close. Of course they cost more than the 712s, but not much more.
-Nick

· Registered
221 Posts
KUM HOs look great and are cheap. That is about the end of the compliments they will get out of me. Dry pavement they work just fine. Wet pavement when they wear down is slick as oil. And if you TRY to squeek by through a light snow like I did....FORGET IT. You'll be into the same fence I was or worse. I recently got Continental Extreme Contacts and they are a dream come true. Great performance ALL year round.

· Registered
23,230 Posts
Re: (Sam1.8T)

Ive got 712's on my jetta, and overall I think there great for the money. Theyt perform decently well, and there cheap. My one grip is that on the front heavy VR6 cars like mine, they wear the fronts quick. I feel like Im always rotating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.