VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! After a decade I've made my way to the Mk6R forum. I've seldom left the MkV R32 forum.:laugh:

A quick run down, I bought an R32. I loved it. I won some awards with it. But it was always broken.

So I traded it in for a TDI Cup Car. I loved it, but VW lied about emissions so they bought it back.

Kzoo's TDi Cup Edition

I missed having an R32, so I bought another one. After spending $9k+ in a year and a half to completely sort it out... I sold it, because I'm an idiot.

The chronicles of # 4113

I thought that an S3 was the natural progression so I bought one. Never loved it. It just kinda sat in my garage for 2 1/2 years...

Kzoo's Sepang Blue S3

I traded it in for a Golf R.

Unfortunately I forgot to get a side by side of the S3 and the R before I left the dealership.:(

Now, before anyone gets bored and stalks my previous comments from years gone by, YES; I said I'd never own one. Yes, I was (and still am) VERY critical of the car coming out with a higher price point than the previous R32 and having LESS standard options. However, I feel that time has been good to the design of this model year. Personally, I thought (and still think) the Mk6R is the best looking R model thus far. Yeah, better than the 7.5 juuuust barely though. I looked for a two door for about 1 1/2 years. I just couldn't find a blue one that hadn't been modded and/or beaten to death. So I opened up my search to a four door w/ Nav. It still took another 4 months for one to pop up in the condition that I thought was acceptable.

I found this one while trolling cargurus and saw that it was priced low enough that I couldn't just skip past it (because of 4 doors). After doing as much research as I could, on this particular car, I started negotiating. The dealership gave me a "fair" deal on my S3 and what I felt was a deal I couldn't pass up on the R. Luckily, my wife was on "Team 'R'". So we made the 4 hour trek to Indianapolis to get the deal done.

When I got to see the car, I was almost speechless. It was somehow even better than the pictures. I was able to see that it had a clear bra that wasn't mentioned, and came with everything. Everything! All 3 keys, 2 sets of mats, the window sticker, all books, the first aid kit and the rear mat w/blocks. It was completely stock with the exception of the euro tail lights. Which was a HUGE plus for me. There isn't a dent or ding anywhere on the car. Clearly the previous owner loved this car. After seeing the car and having had the deal pre negotiated I couldn't sign the paperwork quick enough! Then off we went, 4 more hours back home.

Fast forward to getting the car home. I backed it in and then just stared at it. My wife came into the garage to see what I was still doing out there. She looked at the rear end and laughably said "Dat booty doe"! Then said, "This feels right. Now it feels like our house, with a VW in the garage." Side Note: We bought a new house in December.

That's my story. Now the subtle mods begin.

Reactions: Puttguy

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Today, day three of ownership, the car got a bit of an upgrade.

Stage 1 (low torque) 93 octane- $399.95

310 hp
311 lb-ft

Also, some other minor goodies are on order. More to come when they arrive.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Return it unless you don't plan to go beyond stage 1. APR quits supporting stage 2 tunes 7 September I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome! Kzoo as in Kalamazoo? I'm in ~Lansing.

What mods are you talking?

If you think you'll want performance mods in the future I'd recommend doing it now. These cars are a blast with simple bolt one and a tune...Intake, Intercooler, Downpipe. Unfortunately due to epa cracking down Apr discontinued all of their downpipes and stage 2 software effective Labor day. And it didn't take long for the majority of major players to follow suit.

Cheers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Return it unless you don't plan to go beyond stage 1. APR quits supporting stage 2 tunes 7 September I think.
Stage 1 is all I wanted. I just wanted that little bit extra. This delivered.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

If flashed stage 2 before labor day they will continue to support. Just no new flashes after that w/o auth code (prev dp sale) or if grandfathered in (pre-2015 change).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stage 1 is all I wanted. I just wanted that little bit extra. This delivered.
"Stage 1 is all I wanted..." -> immediately goes big turbo! :laugh:

Welcome to the club!

So we got:

DUBlclutch in Lansing
Kzoo in Kalamazoo
me in Metro Detroit

and I can think of a few other R owners in my area. We should plan a meet somewhere in the middle.

Enjoy the car and hope to meet you sometime.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! Kzoo as in Kalamazoo? I'm in ~Lansing.

What mods are you talking?

If you think you'll want performance mods in the future I'd recommend doing it now. These cars are a blast with simple bolt one and a tune...Intake, Intercooler, Downpipe. Unfortunately due to epa cracking down Apr discontinued all of their downpipes and stage 2 software effective Labor day. And it didn't take long for the majority of major players to follow suit.
Yes, Kalamazoo. I'm not big of performance mods so the stg 1 is more than enough. As for mods, I've got a list that I'm gonna work my way through. Dash cubby, rear camera, various minor interior (euro) bits. I like my car to be so subtly modified that most don't even know that I've done anything. First up though, getting rid of the rubbery feeling of the gearbox. I prefer the mechanical snicks and snaps of a gearbox. This one doesn't deliver. It feels like I'm moving a metal rod through a gumball machine filled with rubber balls. If I'm honest, it ISN"T helping me row through the gears. So that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
160 Posts

that's a bummer....my buddy is looking to buy an R and soon after he wants to go apr 2+ with an upgraded HPFP, Down pipe.....etc
so that means that he won't be able to do that once (who knows when he may find that perfect R he's looking for) he finds one??

so your trying to say that APR won't have or offer anything past stage 1???

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am always keeping an eye out for fellow R owners. Probably will be seeing you on 96/275/696 I would assume.
96 to 75.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
that's a bummer....my buddy is looking to buy an R and soon after he wants to go apr 2+ with an upgraded HPFP, Down pipe.....etc
so that means that he won't be able to do that once (who knows when he may find that perfect R he's looking for) he finds one??

Correct. He should get a tune now while it’s still available and then get the hardware second hand once he has the car. Otherwise stage 3 kits remain available (for now) so he could go straight to that. What’s wrong with more power?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
brotha!

hahahaha! nice! you're lucky to have a "boss" that gets it. LOL. i may be joining you if i decide not to fix the .:R =\

good to see you back in a hatch.....!

shark -

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Stage 1 is all I wanted..." -> immediately goes big turbo! :laugh:
Right? I said the same thing when I got my first GTI. Within 3 months or so I was Stg 2.

Glad to see I'm not alone in my vehicle swapping OP. I too went through an S3 to get to an R (actually had an S4 and an S3 at the same time and neither blew my skirt up), and also found the S3 to be just ho hum. In my case it was because I am a Hatch/wagon guy deep down.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Correct. He should get a tune now while it’s still available and then get the hardware second hand once he has the car. Otherwise stage 3 kits remain available (for now) so he could go straight to that. What’s wrong with more power?
Do you have any links for this? I’m in the same boat but am thinking of going with IE in the future. I’ll purchase their tune now if I need too but it wouldn’t be ideal.

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,376 Posts
Solid choice. Congrats.

What made you go with the 6 over the 7 or 7.5?

I think I saw you briefly mentioned looks.

I’ll be honest... I always hated the 6 but seeing stock, clean examples pop up for sale makes me rethink them.

Seems like right now was the prime time to move on from them because I’ve seen a dozen clean, stock ones up for sale. Makes me wonder what all of the sellers moved on to.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Solid choice. Congrats.

What made you go with the 6 over the 7 or 7.5?

I think I saw you briefly mentioned looks.

I’ll be honest... I always hated the 6 but seeing stock, clean examples pop up for sale makes me rethink them.
Well, the looks, yes. However, the two factors that played most into the decision were the availability of a sunroof and, having an S3, I knew that I didn't want that platform again. If I did I could have just kept the the S3. I found the S3 the be beautiful to look at, fast, but VERY uninspired. Boring, if you will.

I obviously loved the Mk5 R32. I found the Mk6 R to be better looking all around. I've never been the biggest fan of manuals, especially since the DSG does LITERALLY everything better. However, I became fixated on the Mk6 R due to the tunability. I didn't want to take a step backwards as far as "hrps" was concerned and I knew that a simple stage 1 tune would bridge the gap between my S3 and the Golf R. I don't track my cars, so I only needed (have only every needed) something that zips around town and is comfortable on the highway. This does all of that. When I sat is the driver's seat, it was like reconnecting with an old flame. It just hugged me the right way. As I began to row through the gears on the test drive, I began to smile...embarrassingly so. My wife noticed and said "turn around, let's do the paperwork and get out of here." I haven't been able to stop driving the car since. I haven't been this happy about a car purchase since my first R32.

I hope this answers your questions.

Reactions: Puttguy
1 - 20 of 111 Posts