VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
What’s the P/N off that strap? I have a much older version that’s rubber vs what you have.
Part number for the strap/holder

Part number for the warning triangle/holder. These come in two different sizes, this is the larger one that fits in this holder.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Part number for the strap/holder

Part number for the warning triangle/holder. These come in two different sizes, this is the larger one that fits in this holder.
Many thanks for the P/N on that. I’ve been using the rubber VW strap to hold my first aid and warning triangle since I purchased the car but always have to adjust it because the tension provided simply isn’t enough.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I don't think my car came with a strap - just velcro on the back of the first aid kit that holds it in place for like 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I don't think my car came with a strap - just velcro on the back of the first aid kit that holds it in place for like 10 minutes.
If your car is a US market car, then it did not. The strap, hazard triangle and blue (or orange) first aid kit were for the European market. So these are oem+ 'add ons' for us.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Christmas was good to me this year. My wife, that hates when I buy car parts, bought me the APR Short Shifter System and the Solid Shifter Cable Bracket.

I'm not super handy so it took a bit of doing due to my own inexperience with such a task. Once all of this was installed I promptly took the car for a test drive. It now shifts fantastically! The shifts are now very crisp and precise. I can't fully explain just how much I love it now!

APR Short Shifter System- $263.95
APR Solid Shift Cable Bracket- $158.95

Reactions: Thumper3

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is awesome isn't it? I only have the shifter not the bracket yet but such an upgrade. Coupled mine with a weighted BFI knob too. I am using all the weights APR included in the kit, did you use them all or did you go the other way and start with just one or two?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
It is awesome isn't it? I only have the shifter not the bracket yet but such an upgrade. Coupled mine with a weighted BFI knob too. I am using all the weights APR included in the kit, did you use them all or did you go the other way and start with just one or two?
It is!

I haven't liked the way that this shifted since I bought it. It seemed rubbery. That's all gone now though. The shifts are so crisp and direct now. I love it! I went ahead and put on all three weights. I'm not sure how much the solid shifter bracket adds since I installed them at the same time. If I'm honest, it's probably not even needed for average driving. But my wife bought it for me so I installed it. I couldn't be happier with these mods.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
ESC Defeat !

Leaving this here for someone to find so they don't have to read through numerous threads to find the simple solution.

Click here Golf R ESC DIY
And do what it says... that's it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Christmas was good to me this year. My wife, that hates when I buy car parts, bought me the APR Short Shifter System and the Solid Shifter Cable Bracket.

I'm not super handy so it took a bit of doing due to my own inexperience with such a task. Once all of this was installed I promptly took the car for a test drive. It now shifts fantastically! The shifts are now very crisp and precise. I can't fully explain just how much I love it now!
ahhh no longer letting the clutch out too soon? =) looking good my friend....!

shark -

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
ahhh no longer letting the clutch out too soon? =) looking good my friend....!

shark -

Haha! Yeah, I've got it mostly figured out now...mostly. It's amazing what a difference these parts made. They tightened everything up. Now it's an absolute joy to shift. It's not my daily driver so I can still be a bit clumsy at shifting sometimes.
How's the 7.5 treating you?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
The Euro Cup Holder

I've wanted to do this mod to all of my past VW's. But every time I've looked into it, it just looked like too much of a pain in the ass. Well, I finally decided to buy one and give it a try. sigh I was right, what a pain in the ass. I'm happy I've done it or should I say, happy that it's done. In my opinion, the end did not justify the means. I now understand why people always leave it in when "returning to stock". It's just not worth the trouble to take it back out. Taking it apart was the easy part. Putting it back together and getting things to line back up with little to no gaps...not so much.

We all know how it looks, but this is my thread so here are my pics.

Euro Cup Holder w/Bottle opener- $98.88

Future:
Planning on upgrading the HPFP with one from APR in the not so distant future so I can got Stage 1+. That'll be as far as I take engine mods though. Aside from that, I've got a Wish List on ECS to work my way through. Unfortunately, most of that list is on back order with no ETA. So those may not happen.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
That's pretty slick, I had that part bookmarked for a while, I might just have to do it now
After several days to reflect, I'd say go for it. My own lack of patience makes me tend to make things seem worse than they are. I'm easily frustrated by things that take any kind of moderate effort on my part. Sad but true. LOL. It's a very clean and subtle mod. Unfortunately it doesn't fit my phone. So I still don't have a comfortable place to set my phone.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Haha! Yeah, I've got it mostly figured out now...mostly. It's amazing what a difference these parts made. They tightened everything up. Now it's an absolute joy to shift. It's not my daily driver so I can still be a bit clumsy at shifting sometimes.
How's the 7.5 treating you?
Oh you know, sucking away the money like any good cars will! LOL.... always something to buy to make you feel better about a car that should be pretty good already, right?. I'm not sure if your car has a usb input in the area for you to use this, but I bought one for my car and it's friggen great - see my post about it here:

A literal 30 second install (just your type....hehe) after I refreshed the felt.

Fellow forum user, finishthepint, made his own version of this:

shark -

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
I got the itch, so I bought some goodies from APR and ECS.

APR- Dog bone mount- $263.95
APR- Universal boost gauge- $126.95
APR- Modular boost tap- $56.72
APR- Valve stem caps- $7.99
ECS- Vent pod gauge mount- $62.86
ECS- VW Yeti tumbler- $38.45

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
While doing the simple and straightforward install of the dog bone mount a couple days ago I somehow managed to cross thread the bolt that goes into the subframe bushing. So much so that I can't get it back out. It is completely rounded off. The original bolt was pretty hard to get out which struck me a odd. I've taken these bolts out of both of my R32s and once I broke them loose, they just spun out with my fingers. This one...not so much. So I honestly didn't think too much about it when it didn't go back in all that easy either. That is, right up until it stopped moving. It was only then that I realized that I'd completely fxcked up the easiest job on the car. Then, while trying to get it back out, I completely rounded the head. So now I have to limp it to a shop on Thursday so they can fix my fxck up. I had to contact APR to get a new bolt which cost me another $40. I wonder just how deep I'm gonna get into this $257 mod.

GOSH, I can't wait so see just how bad I'm gonna screw up the install of the vent gauge! HOORAY!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Damn, are you the orig. owner, or is there a chance it was done incorrectly before you tried?
Nope, I'm the second owner. My best guess is that the original part had been removed and reinstalled at some point. They possibly cross threaded it then. When I removed it and attempted to install new hardware the new bolt must have followed the cross thread and really bit into it this time. Again, that's just my best guess though. I have no other idea as to how this could have happened. But, it doesn't really matter as I'm 'here' now.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I got the courage to attempt the install of the APR boost gauge. I couldn't figure out what to do with the bags of seemingly random parts that APR sent me. I'd like so say a big thanks to flieger for taking time out of his day to facetime me and help me make sense out of all of it! Once I had all of the pertinent information the install was actually pretty easy.

The back light is brighter than the dash lights. I'm a stickler for details. I don't like that!

Typically the only visual mods that I install are strictly OEM+. That being said, this is pretty far out of my comfort zone. I honestly don't know if I'm gonna keep it. I'll give it a while once it gets warmer and I can get some more drive time. Perhaps I'll warm up to it. If not, it'll be available in the marketplace.

Reactions: morbs_gt
61 - 80 of 110 Posts