VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Isn't there a way to wire it in so it changes illumination with the adjustment for the dash?

It looks pretty solid but I'm not a fan of the vent mount designs. Firstly the loss of air flow which is helpful to dry your left hand, and secondly it looks out of place. I have the P3 which still causes issue #1 but as it's flush it doesn't annoy me as much on issue #2. Steering column pod would be much better I would say and several cars come with or used to come with those factory so wouldn't be wrong in the OEM+ look. The blue needle is an important touch there as that certainly fits in with the dash and gives it a more OEM+ look (despite the big APR logo lol).

Reactions: Puttguy

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
For the simpler/more discrete looking gauge I like newsouth, ran one in my mark4 vrt and they match up with oem look pretty well. The thing with the apr one is the obvious/out of place apr logo. newsouth has it more discrete/less in your face, hook it up to the dimmer as @Thumper3 suggested, you can also get the silver trim ring to match the oem dash: Mk6 Golf R Boost Gauge – NewSouth Performance

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
The thing with the apr one is the obvious/out of place apr logo. newsouth has it more discrete/less in your face, hook it up to the dimmer as @Thumper3 suggested, you can also get the silver trim ring to match the oem dash
Under further investigation, it is dimmable. However, it is always brighter than the lights in the instrument cluster. Unfortunately the ring on this gauge is not removable so replacing it with a silver one is a no go.

Isn't there a way to wire it in so it changes illumination with the adjustment for the dash?

It looks pretty solid but I'm not a fan of the vent mount designs. Firstly the loss of air flow which is helpful to dry your left hand, and secondly it looks out of place... The blue needle is an important touch there as that certainly fits in with the dash and gives it a more OEM+ look (despite the big APR logo lol).
I prefer the vent mount to the column mount. This gauge still allows me use the vent so that's not an issue for me. As for the needle, that was a must for me so it goes with the rest of the dash. The APR logo doesn't bother me...well, the light for the gauge is right behind the logo so it's the brightest part of the gauge. I don't really like that. Perhaps that's being nit picky though.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Right, was gonna say at least you eventually found out there was something wrong and it can now be fixed properly. Do post back how this gets resolved, gl!
I took the car to my local APR shop (it's an hour away). They gave me two options. 1) Try to tighten the bolt the rest of the way and just accept that the mount is now a permanent part of the car. However most likely while trying to tighten the bolt, it could snap which would lead to... Option 2) drill the bolt out, drop the subframe, replace the subframe bushings and then reinstall everything. I had fully accepted option 1 would just lead to option 2 so I said just give option 1 a try. Option 1 actually worked though. So now, if the dogbone has to come out I have no choice but to move on to option 2.

They did ask how I managed to cross thread the bolt. I told them what had happened and they also thought that it had been previously cross threaded. So that's where I'm at with all of that.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Since I've gotten the car I've wanted a proper intake. But, as you know, that simply isn't an option while retaining the factory engine cover. I hate the way this engine looks with out a cover on it. So I tracked down a Carbonio intake (which is fine) and just accepted that that was the best I was gonna be able to do while maintaining a mostly factory look. Fast forward to a couple days ago, I'm trolling through the forum and happened upon a picture of a member's car with a full APR intake installed. I've spoken to APR about this intake and they assured me that it doesn't fit the Mk6R and they aren't planning on making one that does... So I asked this member some questions which led me to other threads and other discoveries.
Translation- I have to mod my car so I can mod my car. UGH!
So now I have to order parts and HOPEFULLY not **** stuff up while trying to make this happen.

Parts on order:
APR PEX Intake System - Front Airbox- $199.95
APR PEX Intake System - Rear Turbo Inlet Pipe- $99.99
Mk6 GTI MAF sensor housing- 06J 906 461 B- used on ebay- $20.00

TTS Engine Cover- 06F 103 925 J- $175.00
Front Bolt- 06e 103 164 (x1)- $12.00
Rear Bolts- 03L 103 163 (x2)- $7.00

I'm gonna have to modify the engine cover to get rid of the 4 rings and replace them with either a VW or R logo. I've seen pics of both and they both look good, so I'm unsure which way I'm gonna go with it. Stay tuned!

P.S.
Any tips to make ANY of this easier (preferably with pictures) are more than welcome!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Since I've gotten the car I've wanted a proper intake. But, as you know, that simply isn't an option while retaining the factory engine cover. I hate the way this engine looks with out a cover on it. So I tracked down a Carbonio intake (which is fine) and just accepted that that was the best I was gonna be able to do while maintaining a mostly factory look. Fast forward to a couple days ago, I'm trolling through the forum and happened upon a picture of a member's car with a full APR intake installed. I've spoken to APR about this intake and they assured me that it doesn't fit the Mk6R and they aren't planning on making one that does... So I asked this member some questions which led me to other threads and other discoveries.
Translation- I have to mod my car so I can mod my car. UGH!
So now I have to order parts and HOPEFULLY not **** stuff up while trying to make this happen.

Parts on order:
APR PEX Intake System - Front Airbox- $199.95
APR PEX Intake System - Rear Turbo Inlet Pipe- $99.99
Mk6 GTI MAF sensor housing- 06J 906 461 B- used on ebay- $20.00

TTS Engine Cover- 06F 103 925 J- $175.00
Front Bolt- 06e 103 164 (x1)- $12.00
Rear Bolts- 03L 103 163 (x2)- $7.00

I'm gonna have to modify the engine cover to get rid of the 4 rings and replace them with either a VW or R logo. I've seen pics of both and they both look good, so I'm unsure which way I'm gonna go with it. Stay tuned!

P.S.
Any tips to make ANY of this easier (preferably with pictures) are more than welcome!!
I would recommend following APR's advice. Plenty have tried and failed to make that work properly. These cars are very sensitive to maf readings. Imo it's simply not worth a certain look to lose performance, fuel economy, etc...take a look at the fuel trim thread if you haven't already. Fwiw even Jeff from UM recommends OEM cai for maf data...the only other cai he recommends is CTS. Talking just 6 R here.

There are 2 popular options:

Use the Audi TTS engine cover and run and aftermarket cai...Volant is popular for OEM look, large dry media filter and [mostly] enclosed box that mounts to battery box.

Mod the stock VW engine cover and route an aftermarket cai through the part you mod. (Read: Dremel).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you really want to keep the stock engine cover you could get the megabucks GruppeM intake

View attachment 84319
Looks nice but I have no idea why it costs so much and I would be shocked if they sell loads of those.

Alternatively you could try make this one fit and it costs less (US$6XX), but again still expensive for a CAI, IMO.

Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake System - With Carbon Fiber Box & Wrinkle Black Aluminum Tubes

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Looks nice but I have no idea why it costs so much and I would be shocked if they sell loads of those.

Alternatively you could try make this one fit and it costs less (US$6XX), but again still expensive for a CAI, IMO.

Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake System - With Carbon Fiber Box & Wrinkle Black Aluminum Tubes

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
If you are going to go to that much trouble an try to make an engine cover fit with an OEM looking intake, I would go with the Volant (which I did but without the engine cover).

Volant Golf R CAI

Reactions: Puttguy

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i just ordered a cover for $127 from e-acca.com. Please take pics of how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm not into the whole Carbon Fiber thing, which is why I went with the APR's PEX system instead of the carbon one. As for the Volant, I was interested in that one. It fills the space up nicely and has a very clean look. When reading reviews though, the most common complaint was that there were fitment issues (which may have been addressed by now) and that it is a bit loud. I'm not looking for loud, just... more air. The DIY thread that I'll be following reports no fuel trim issues with this setup. He's had it on for over a year and seems to have no issues to report. For me though, if it doesn't seem to work I'll just send it back and give the Volant a try.

The DIY I'm talking about: My Intake Project.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,234 Posts
Fitment on my Volant is decent. Build quality is so-so, but you can rectify most of its shortcomings fairly easily. I wouldn't say that it's very loud at all.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Update:

I got everything, I think (see question below), ordered to properly complete the CAI project. So far I've received all of it with the exception of the APR turbo inlet pipe. Apparently they are having an issue with their supplier... So I'm on hold. While I've been waiting, I have managed to separate the wiring loom so I can relocate the MAF when I can finally finish the project. It was pretty easy, tedious, but easy. I rewrapped all of it in fresh Tesa Tape to keep the OEM look/wire protection.

Question: Does the heat shield on the back of the engine on a GTI fit on the Golf R? I ask because it has a mounting point to support the turbo inlet pipe and my obsessive attention to detail knows no bounds.

Also, yesterday I managed to snag an APR HPFP on the cheap! Do I need it, no. Did I want it so I could bump up to stage 1+....yes. That should be here later this week

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
Mileage:86,400

Today, I made my way to my local APR dealer and had the Stage 1+ w/HPFP installed. Over the weekend I managed to snag an APR Mobile Dongle locally from a guy that didn't realized it wouldn't work with his car, so it was brand new. Since I was having the car reflashed I figured that they may as well enable APR's EMCS Program Switching. I had them install Stock Mode, Stage 1+ 93 octane (obviously) and Valet Mode. Now I can control all of this through the APR app. The car is now rated to make 337hp & 337ft-lbs.

Still waiting for APR to ship the turbo inlet pipe... If it isn't shipped out by the end of the week I'm just gonna cancel my order and rest on my laurels.

APR HPFP- $300
APR Stage 1+ tune- Free
APR Mobile Dongle- $150
APR EMCS Program- $99.95

·
Registered
238 Posts
Was the APR HPFP new? $300? Damn man, you come across anymore let me know. LOL

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Was the APR HPFP new? $300? Damn man, you come across anymore let me know. LOL
Ha! No, it's used but was fully tested and found to be in perfect working condition. I've tried to buy two others but I was always late to the party. Two weeks ago I just happened to pick up my phone to look at FB and got an update that an item was just listed on a FB group. I reached out to the guy within a minute of him listing it. I didn't loose this one!

Going Stage 1+ wasn't a priority for me since I honestly didn't think that I'd notice a difference. I was wrong. The power is noticeably more linear through the gears now. It doesn't just fall on it's face in the upper revs like it did before. I'm glad I did it!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Unfortunately, APR was unable to get me the inlet pipe in a timely fashion. So I called it quits on this project. I had to return the airbox that APR was actually able to get me and the TTS engine cover w/hardware.
So now I've got an extra $500 that I don't know what to do with...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
6-17-21

While backing out of a parking space of a convenience store I bumped into car that simply could NOT wait for me to finish backing out. They attempted to drive around me (while I was clearly backing up) to park in the space next to the one I was backing out of. It should be noted, when I started backing up I was the ONLY CAR IN THE PARKING LOT. There were four empty spaces on either side of me.

So now I have to hope that the car can be fixed before the one car show I make it to every year on July 10th. No major damage, just paint work and the bumper and valance need to be snapped back into place. Hopefully the body shop can get it resprayed (to my standard) in short order.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts