VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I dropped the car off on 6-29-21, I heard back from the body shop later that day. Dunshee Auto concluded that there is no structural damage to the car after the tear down process, only paint work. I chose to take it to the body shop that does all of the work for the local VW/Audi dealership so hopefully there won't be ANY problems...hopefully. I should have the car back on Friday. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Warning: Long winded Update/Rant

I was told the R was ready for pickup. When I got there it was parked out front, making it easy for me to look over before I had to talk to anyone. Spoiler, it wasn't ready... for me. There was orange peel on the part of the bumper that had been repainted, the bumper bowed out on the fender line on the side of impact, the gaps under the tail lights were atrocious and they had not replaced the PPF on the top of the bumper. (FRUSTRATED SIGH)

I went inside to find someone to talk to about these issues. A gentleman came outside to inspect the car with me. He agreed with everything I saw and apologized. He said "We take this personally because this work has our name on it." Now, I thought that I had been clear with my expectations prior to the (minor) work being done but apparently not. So I wanted to make sure that they were clear with my response to him. I responded, admittedly by being kind of a dick in the most polite way that I could possibly conjure up at the moment, by saying "I. Take this personally. I. Am the one that has to drive this around. If you guys think that this is good enough to return to a customer then I have no problem taking it home. I'll have no problem parking it on the lawn at the Gilmore Car Museum next weekend to have it judged and I'll have no problem pointing out these issues to EVERYONE that looks at the car and making sure they know Dunshee Autobody is responsible for the work." I feel like that got my point across, or maybe I just sounded like a dick. I donno.

Now, I'm willing to concede that these are minor issues and should be easily fixable. Simply cut and buff the new paint and properly refit the bumper and all should be well. However, (brief rant) I've had to deal with body shops over the past 21 years more times than I'd like. It has ALWAYS had to be a multi step process to get body shops to do the job right. I have long since exhausted any tolerance for a shop that has to take more than one crack at getting the job done right. /rant

Hopefully I can get it back in time to do a proper detail for Deutsche Marques on the 10th. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Good luck. By the sound of your post you still haven’t found the ideal body shop. In my experience they are rare and it is always up to you to determine if the job was done right. I always find this very frustrating. Body shops scare me too.

in my experience the good body shops have an immaculate office and waiting area.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Good luck. By the sound of your post you still haven’t found the ideal body shop. In my experience they are rare and it is always up to you to determine if the job was done right. I always find this very frustrating. Body shops scare me too.

in my experience the good body shops have an immaculate office and waiting area.
Thanks. I've only had two good experiences with body shops. They were not at the same shop. I honestly thought that this would be a third 'good' experience due to how minor the repairs were. I fully expected to just pick it up and have it be perfect...the first time. I really hope that they're able to get it right the second time around.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
July 8th,

I once again received the call to pick up my car. I was assured that the issues had been corrected.
They were, I'm happy with it. I still have to wait 30 days to have the PPF put back on.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
July 10th,

After getting the car back from Dunshee Auto Body on the 8th, I was able to get it properly detailed for the biggest all German auto show in the US.

There was a HUGE turnout this year with some truly amazing cars on the grounds. I didn't get a single picture of my car on the field. Frankly, I was too busy gawking at the countless breath taking cars in attendance to remember to take a pic or two of my own car. All I've found online is a pic of me arriving to the event, at the end of a long line of Porsches.

I was able to talk a friend into bringing his 14' SQ5 to the event. I'd done all I could do for my car but I was more interested in how my friends car looked, and further more, how his car was judged. With the cars in the largest automotive museum in the country combined with the 500 cars in attendance for the event, we were almost never by our cars. There was just too much to see. When the event came to an end and the awards were handed out, my friends car didn't receive an award. We were all a little let down as we thought it was a strong contender for Best of the 2010s. But that was given to a 2020?

Due to the huge turnout and the amount of great cars in attendance I chose to not stick around for the VW awards and left with my friend, tails tucked...

Today, July 12th, while perusing FB, I saw the official post from the event with all of the winners listed. HOLY SH!T my car won Best of the 2010s! My car, the one that I managed to not take one single picture of at the event. The car that I didn't think stood a chance against the rest of the VW's on the field. This is the 3rd award I've collected from this event over the years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats! I'm sure you have some friends at the show or can contact the organisers to get some photos to share with us on here.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
July 10th,

After getting the car back from Dunshee Auto Body on the 8th, I was able to get it properly detailed for the biggest all German auto show in the US.

There was a HUGE turnout this year with some truly amazing cars on the grounds. I didn't get a single picture of my car on the field. Frankly, I was too busy gawking at the countless breath taking cars in attendance to remember to take a pic or two of my own car. All I've found online is a pic of me arriving to the event, at the end of a long line of Porsches.

I was able to talk a friend into bringing his 14' SQ5 to the event. I'd done all I could do for my car but I was more interested in how my friends car looked, and further more, how his car was judged. With the cars in the largest automotive museum in the country combined with the 500 cars in attendance for the event, we were almost never by our cars. There was just too much to see. When the event came to an end and the awards were handed out, my friends car didn't receive an award. We were all a little let down as we thought it was a strong contender for Best of the 2010s. But that was given to a 2020?

Due to the huge turnout and the amount of great cars in attendance I chose to not stick around for the VW awards and left with my friend, tails tucked...

Today, July 12th, while perusing FB, I saw the official post from the event with all of the winners listed. HOLY SH!T my car won Best of the 2010s! My car, the one that I managed to not take one single picture of at the event. The car that I didn't think stood a chance against the rest of the VW's on the field. This is the 3rd award I've collected from this event over the years.
woohooo...that's pretty cool my friend! better lucky than good, eh? =)

shark -

101 - 110 of 110 Posts