VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a Land Rover LR3 today and was very impressed. I am not typically a Land Rover fan. The fit and finish appeared to be excellent. It drove nice and solid; the 300 hp V8 seemed very competitive and smooth. The Navigation is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the VW system--imaging a Land Rover having better technology than a comparable VW-who'd a thought--not me but thats the case anyways. I actually like the vehicles looks from all angles but the rear.
All in all seems pretty nice, it will be interesting to see how it weathers and to see the first year production hickups.

· Registered
366 Posts
Re: Land Rover LR3 (Nav400)

Yeah, the styling is better, but it's still a bit "two boxes stuck together' looking just like the last Discovery it replaces, a car so ugly they had to change the sucessors model name!
The nav system probably comes courtesy of BMW, after Ford bought them I still think BMW had the contract for engines and electronics like the nav. I saw screens at AutoSpies this week and it looks very Bimmer-like.
If the DVD nav (coming in spring) is anything like even the "mini-MMI" system shown in Audi A3 & A4's it's going to be really awesome and totally address that shortcoming.
DVD nav pics from Autospies (in '05 RangeRover)

Modified by Jason H at 8:29 PM 11-19-2004

· Registered
7 Posts
Re: Land Rover LR3 (Jason H)

BMW had nothing to do with the LR3 this one was totally developed under Ford ownership. As of next year (2006 MY) the Range Rover will use no BMW hardware. The Range Rover interior was redone this year to get away from BMW parts, engine and trans are next year. The DVD nav is a Desno unit -- Jaguar, Lincoln, Toyota, Lexus. I think the new VW / Audi one is a Bosch unit, but not sure on that one, they do most of the electronics for VW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.