VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"'It works on most cars built in the past 10 years, because their engines are controlled by computer chips,' said Dr Giri. 'If we can disrupt the computer, we can stop the car.' ProTech is working with the Los Angeles Police Department and the US Marine Corps, and a prototype is promised by next summer."
http://www.lacar.com/modules.p...d=277

Modified by Arroyo at 6:10 AM 7-15-2004

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (TwinkleToez)

Quote, originally posted by TwinkleToez »
Havent you seen 2 Fast 2 Furious already??

first thing that came to my mind when i read the thread title. what are those things anyway? and how do they work?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (Kafer Wolf)

Quote, originally posted by Kafer Wolf »

first thing that came to my mind when i read the thread title. what are those things anyway? and how do they work?

WELL...from my resources 2fast2furious...nah im just joking,
(got ya worried for a sec. didnt I...hehe) its actually an electrical current that is sent throughout the car and immoblizes the car, shutting off all electrical devices. so it shuts the car off

·
Registered
346 Posts

WELL...its actually an electrical current that is sent throughout the car and immoblizes the car, shutting off all electrical devices. so it shuts the car off

so the r1cers got some inspiration from 2F2F so the cops dont want to stay behind
hope it doesnt work that would suck and be dangerous btw.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (pato)

hold on a second..."us marine corps"? i thought they had a gun that immobilizes cars already..wasn't it called an RPG

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (Antoinet R)

Quote, originally posted by Antoinet R »
I wonder if the car would ever start after it was "shocked" by this gun... Permanent Damage?

Well going back to my resources....2fast2furious, "Brian" or "Bruh" (if your tyreese) took the imoblizer thingy out of his car while tip towing the gas and his EVO8 and went right back to its normal function. Honestly I dont know. I would think there would be some damage done...maybe a fried ECU

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (winkosmosis)

it'll be over the first time they fire at a car driven by someone with a pacemaker....
...time to start making EMP shielding!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts

Havent you seen 2 Fast 2 Furious already??

As everyone knows Fast and the Furious is the ultimate source for all car related information.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (winkosmosis)

Quote, originally posted by winkosmosis »
Why would police departments get this? Spend the money on education and maybe there will be fewer criminals to immobilize.

Or....shoot them all and then definitely will be fewer criminals to immobilize.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (rx7racr)

haha... ROTFLMAO.. hehehehehe...
Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »
it'll be over the first time they fire at a car driven by someone with a pacemaker....
...time to start making EMP shielding!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (Kafer Wolf)

Quote, originally posted by Kafer Wolf »

they create an electrical interference that causes the cars computer to malfunciton or not be able to function and the car to stall.
i'm smelling lawsuit the first time they accidentally hit the wrong car on the freeway at 70, disrupt someone's ECU causing the fuel-flow to stop, and the car goes lean and the engine pops. they've got a ways to go before this is viable.... not to mention the fact that anyone w/ no ecu and a carb will be totally immune.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Re: LAPD to Test Gun That Immobilizes Cars (Arroyo)

sounds like it might permanently damage a car, the radio, the ecu, and about everything inside... your cell phone, your laptop, etc, as has been alluded by prev posters. What would be the threshold of offense allegedly perpetrated by the driver of a car when a donut eater decides to set his phaser on kill?
would be interesting to know the wavelength of the radiation being used... pacemaker wearers must avoid areas with radiation in the microwave range 2450 MHz (~12cm).
If it's UV radiation, it would also cook any flesh inside the car... like a sunburn.
Interesting its being developed in Magdeburg, where Ostdeutsch and Russian military training was carried out......

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.