VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had my 1.4L for about 2 years and I’ve recently began doing research on installing a bigger turbo. Obviously, they don’t have much in terms of upgrading this our specific trim. But has anyone ever tried converting/ using a turbo made for another model with a larger engine? Or maybe even using parts made for a similar or even identical model? Looking for ideas

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I’ve had my 1.4L for about 2 years and I’ve recently began doing research on installing a bigger turbo. Obviously, they don’t have much in terms of upgrading this our specific trim. But has anyone ever tried converting/ using a turbo made for another model with a larger engine? Or maybe even using parts made for a similar or even identical model? Looking for ideas
im wondering too

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Maybe a GLI turbo? If you look at the flange of the EA211 IHI turbo is some similar to a T25 flange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get some custom billet wheels? What manifold? Lol we have a Head and Manifold all together lol.

Oh wow I didn’t know that. So the manifold and the head are one piece? Not detachable? I guess best that we can do is port the hot side and maybe find wheels that fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A slightly bigger turbo would work wonders on this engine. Something that spools a little later and makes more boost. Since all of the power on these cars comes on down low I never get traction in first or second with tc off.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Oh wow I didn’t know that. So the manifold and the head are one piece? Not detachable? I guess best that we can do is port the hot side and maybe find wheels that fit.

Yes they’re one piece. Headifold if that works. Also port the hot side and use a T25 flange turbo like a Gt2052 or GT2259. Problem but not is the custom tuning. But before big turbo install I’m thinking of going full air to air Intercooler system

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes they’re one piece. Headifold if that works. Also port the hot side and use a T25 flange turbo like a Gt2052 or GT2259. Problem but not is the custom tuning. But before big turbo install I’m thinking of going full air to air Intercooler system

Air to air intercooler would be awesome but that would probably also require some serious tuning but I bet boost would come on a lot smoother with more volume to fill in the charge piping. I was thinking maybe a bigger heat exchanger and stronger fluid pump for the current water to air intercooler. I wonder if anyone has filled the factory intercooler with water wetter yet as that’s supposed to keep temps lower. Lucky for us we should be able to squeeze out a bit more power once unitronic releases their stage 2 downpipe and tune I just hope it can run 91 octane

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Air to air intercooler would be awesome but that would probably also require some serious tuning but I bet boost would come on a lot smoother with more volume to fill in the charge piping. I was thinking maybe a bigger heat exchanger and stronger fluid pump for the current water to air intercooler. I wonder if anyone has filled the factory intercooler with water wetter yet as that’s supposed to keep temps lower. Lucky for us we should be able to squeeze out a bit more power once unitronic releases their stage 2 downpipe and tune I just hope it can run 91 octane

I’ve used water wetter already. Meh this thing gets so hot is not even worth it lol. Still I want to go Air To Air with the stock tune. It would just take longer to spool lol . However a turbo like a K03s would support 220Hp or so. Maybe a K04 peak boost around 3k rpms? I honestly wouldn’t mind boost coming tops at 4K cuz I like flooring it around there anyways. Its true there’s no replacement for displacement but that’s the whole fun of making these tiny engines even more fun. I mean what because it’s not a 1.8T or a 2.0T? Big deal if I wanted power I would’ve started at 300HP or bought a V8 for easy big power not a 2.0T.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve used water wetter already. Meh this thing gets so hot is not even worth it lol. Still I want to go Air To Air with the stock tune. It would just take longer to spool lol . However a turbo like a K03s would support 220Hp or so. Maybe a K04 peak boost around 3k rpms? I honestly wouldn’t mind boost coming tops at 4K cuz I like flooring it around there anyways. Its true there’s no replacement for displacement but that’s the whole fun of making these tiny engines even more fun. I mean what because it’s not a 1.8T or a 2.0T? Big deal if I wanted power I would’ve started at 300HP or bought a V8 for easy big power not a 2.0T.

My thoughts exactly. My 1.4t with an intake and racechip kept up with my friends stage 1 dsg mk6 gti from 0-90mph. It actually consistently got the jump on him up to about 40mph and it was neck and neck from there. And we get 40mpg all day I’ve been averaging 580 miles per tank. It’s fun tuning underdogs

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My thoughts exactly. My 1.4t with an intake and racechip kept up with my friends stage 1 dsg mk6 gti from 0-90mph. It actually consistently got the jump on him up to about 40mph and it was neck and neck from there. And we get 40mpg all day I’ve been averaging 580 miles per tank. It’s fun tuning underdogs

It is actually very surprising this little 1.4T it’s like not expected at all to be so responsive and so idk enjoyable. However I’m really down for custom stuff and fab than waiting on companies and stuff. This engine just needs a larger turbo cuz after 5k rpms or getting close to 5k rpms the Boost drops from 16-17psi down to 12 or so and it’s because the engine is taking more air than the cold side can supply. An entire air to air system would only add tops about a second of lag but it won’t even be that noticeable. It would take longer to fill the volume yes but it will stay longer in the system. And it will be closer to ambient rather than 20f above ambient once warmed up. And don’t even talk about when the engine it’s warm and you let it sit and idle thing gets over 30-40f above ambient it’s insane. I use 88 octane now in the winter but prob gonna use 91 in the summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is actually very surprising this little 1.4T it’s like not expected at all to be so responsive and so idk enjoyable. However I’m really down for custom stuff and fab than waiting on companies and stuff. This engine just needs a larger turbo cuz after 5k rpms or getting close to the Boost drops from 16-17psi down to 12 or so and it’s because the engine is taking more air than the cold side can supply. An entire air to air system would only add tops about a second of lag but it won’t even be that noticeable. It would take longer to fill the volume yes but it will stay longer in the system. And it will be closer to ambient rather than 20f above ambient once warmed up. And don’t even talk about when the engine it’s warm and you let it sit and idle thing gets over 30-40f above ambient it’s insane. I use 88 octane now in the winter but prob gonna use 91 in the summer.

Well now that you mention it, what about a top mount setup? The turbo outlet to intake are super close together so it seems doable would just have to do some serious rerouting of the intake. And cut the hood of course. I’ve seen some GTIs with wrx hood scoops they look pretty mean. Less lag

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well now that you mention it, what about a top mount setup? The turbo outlet to intake are super close together so it seems doable would just have to do some serious rerouting of the intake. And cut the hood of course. I’ve seen some GTIs with wrx hood scoops they look pretty mean. Less lag

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

I thought about that long time ago but reason why WRX have some of the sort is because the Intake manifold is under it not the freaking hot as head. But yeah if we make some vents and stuff is very possible. And since my hood is deer hit slightly messed up I could either buy new one or customize the one I have Lol. Prob a heat shield under the IC that way the heat from the head doesn’t get to it as much. I really want to finish my short ram and make it a Custom CAI all the way to the turbo inlet. I got all the part list needed just haven’t gone thru with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah would definitely need to wrap the down pipe, get a turbo blanket, and a heat shield to put over all of that. I also made my own intake with a giant filter. It makes cool sounds.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yeah would definitely need to wrap the down pipe, get a turbo blanket, and a heat shield to put over all of that. I also made my own intake with a giant filter. It makes cool sounds.

Wrap Downpipe yes. Turbo blanket maybe not because we could toast the bearings. But a thick heat shield for it would be good. Also a head sized heat shield for the IC. I love doing custom work is so fun to do stuff and fabricate stuff. Whoa where you got that big ass filter? Also I want to make one all the way to turbo inlet.

That’s mine it wasn’t bad at all. I love the turbo sounds and the breather filter whistle too. Also I got a Resonator and muffler delete prob gonna do 2.5 cat back and a 2.5 Downpipe. But for now it’s good with stock 2.25 pipe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts