VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just look up “big ass filter” on amazon. Jk lol. Look up 10 inch cone intake filter it should come up. It was like twenty bucks. I’ve considered attempting to make my own downpipe but my welding skills aren’t great and my mig welder is pretty garbage too. I was going to do the resonator delete also but I’m tired of having loud exhausts on my car. Intake noises are good enough for me now until someone comes out with a bolt on downpipe. Not bad on the intake if it works it works. Hopefully stage 2 comes out soon and hopefully it’s not too expensive. I have a feeling that the car will end up being limited by the factory intercooler and injectors. And then hopefully someone will come up with a turbo upgrade but I have a feeling that might be years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Just look up “big ass filter” on amazon. Jk lol. Look up 10 inch cone intake filter it should come up. It was like twenty bucks. I’ve considered attempting to make my own downpipe but my welding skills aren’t great and my mig welder is pretty garbage too. I was going to do the resonator delete also but I’m tired of having loud exhausts on my car. Intake noises are good enough for me now until someone comes out with a bolt on downpipe. Not bad on the intake if it works it works. Hopefully stage 2 comes out soon and hopefully it’s not too expensive. I have a feeling that the car will end up being limited by the factory intercooler and injectors. And then hopefully someone will come up with a turbo upgrade but I have a feeling that might be years away.

Exactly why we gotta Air To Air IC swap and prob try to retrofit 2.0T injectors? As for turbo upgrade I was thinking a piece of metal that bolts to stock flange then the other side that bolts to a T25 flange turbo. Like that Garrett GT2052 or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I really want to dyno my car to see what it makes just with the intake and racechip but I feel like it’s kind of pointless to dyno such a simple car. I’m just really curious to know what it’s making at the wheels and where it can go from there.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I really want to dyno my car to see what it makes just with the intake and racechip but I feel like it’s kind of pointless to dyno such a simple car. I’m just really curious to know what it’s making at the wheels and where it can go from there.

It’s not pointless if you have few mods. Stock is 150 to engine prob 145whp with manual and prob 135-140 with auto or so. It’s great to Dyno after a few bolt ons like intake exhaust and some mods and see where the Dyno sits at and also Quarter mile it so we can see the difference from stock to few bolt ons. However if you say it can keep up with stage 1 GTI at low speeds and so that’s pretty damn impressive even considering the GTI is DSG which shifts faster than the manual and auto.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It’s not pointless if you have few mods. Stock is 150 to engine prob 145whp with manual and prob 135-140 with auto or so. It’s great to Dyno after a few bolt ons like intake exhaust and some mods and see where the Dyno sits at and also Quarter mile it so we can see the difference from stock to few bolt ons. However if you say it can keep up with stage 1 GTI at low speeds and so that’s pretty damn impressive even considering the GTI is DSG which shifts faster than the manual and auto.

Word is that the unitronic downpipe and stage 2 tune is coming out in the next few weeks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Stock exhaust piping is not 2.25. Downpipe seems to be 2.25 or some of the sort. After the second catalyst is 2 inches inside diameter. Where the exhaust clamp is at and Rest of exhaust is 1 7/8 inches inside diameter.... just replaced everything after the second o2 sensor and did a straight 2.25 inch exhaust with a magnaflow straight thru muffler and tip. We just need that 2.5 Downpipe or something like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stock turbo after 4K rpms can’t supply enough air because small cold side so boost begins to drop from 17psi to 12 psi or so.
Got any data to back up this specious claim? By DATA, I mean MAF logs, AFR correlation AND turbo MAP graphs.

Anything less is just boy racers doing their intake hacks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Got any data to back up this specious claim? By DATA, I mean MAF logs, AFR correlation AND turbo MAP graphs.

Anything less is just boy racers doing their intake hacks. :rolleyes:
It’s sad there’s no MAF sensor so no MAF readings. I’d have to buy a Wideband for AFR readings. I’ve done pulls and datalogged pulls and datalogged mostly from 1-4 gears. I’ve done also some individual gear readings from specific rpms in the same conditions reading boost and MAP and they both behave same after 4K rpms. Did also a 4th gear pull from 2k-4K rpms. It wasn’t till 3,500-4K rpms the boost started dropping slowly but surely. Have you seen the size of our turbo. It’s so small it can probably power a 800cc engine and turn a go kart into a really fun one. The 1.4T at 17 psi is taking as much air as a 3.0 NA. Not just that also worth to mention that our boost pipe has a hose from the boost pipe going to compressor inlet. Isn’t a boost pipe supposed to be completely closed so Boost is not lost whenever it reaches above ambient?

·
Registered
67 Posts
"#Etuners custom Stage3 ECU remap for IS20 turbo kit."

Based on your story about pulls and logging, you still have no way of knowing whether or not (likely yes!) the ECU will simply throttle boost as it does now to maintain AFR at various load/RPMs. You are driving a 1.4L econo-car. Spend 20 large like they did on the Golf in your link, and maybe you'll get some more power.

·
Registered
67 Posts
where did you find this????? Been dying to find a dp for our cars
3" DP on a 1.4L engine? For only $600? Bwaaaa, haa, haaaaaa!! :screwy:

40HP and 70ft.lb? From a DP? Seriously?

Bet it sounds cool. :popcorn:

You need to understand an IC engine is really just a big air pump. The 5.9L Cummins found in old Dodge trucks used a 3"DP stock, and it flowed quite freely at the stock tune. That engine is literally more than FOUR TIMES the size of your 1.4t. Just goes to show you can sell anybody anything, under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looking into GT2252, GT2554R, GT2560R and GTX2860R for possible turbo upgrades to reach a 250HP goal.
It would take custom Air to air system and a EBC as well. And tuning of ECU of course but I think these would be great choices for different full spool Rpms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone ever pull off a turbo swap? Personally think the IS38 would be a sweet swap and the setup looks very close to ours. Also anyone figure out a intercooler upgrade?

Found this don't know if it can be Jerry rigged to work with our car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It fits physically but you need to have a custom adapter plate made for the turbo all the IS(12,20,38) will potentially work with custom work. The only direct bolt on is the hybrid turbo. Rmtg and one other company (you can find if you search ea211 turbo upgrade) have an upgraded hybrid turbo for the 1.4t. I will try and find the link the other company is cheaper and comes with the different wastegate you need.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts