VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting rid of the stock 18" wheels on my wife's car due to the deterioration of the roads in our area. I'll probably go with 16", 15" a possibility. I wouldn't mind an additional 1/2" of clearance. What's the largest diameter tire that fits assuming 7" wheels with the proper offset?

·
Registered
209 Posts
This guide has a list of what wheel and tire sizes are fitted to the Golf, depending on trim and options: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/golf/2017/

As far as "largest diameter" if larger than stock your speedo will under-report your speed and could lead to speeding tickets depending on how strictly they are enforced in your area. I would recommend just sticking with what VW normally fits to prevent problems with that and also wheel well clearance issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This guide has a list of what wheel and tire sizes are fitted to the Golf, depending on trim and options: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/golf/2017/

As far as "largest diameter" if larger than stock your speedo will under-report your speed and could lead to speeding tickets depending on how strictly they are enforced in your area. I would recommend just sticking with what VW normally fits to prevent problems with that and also wheel well clearance issues.
Setting aside the speedo issue as the car currently reads about 4% low in any event, there is clearly enough room for a tire with a 1" increase in rolling diameter. The car won't even go through our local car wash with the current ride height. I'm not looking to put on 8.5" rims and 20" wheels albeit with low profile tires, just looking to gain even 1/2" of ride height. I'm sure someone out there has put a higher profile tire, possibly even on the 18" wheels (that we currently have).

·
Registered
837 Posts
OP, good question. Simple answer is that the Alltrak has larger diameter tires, I believe which would give you the half inch increased ride height you desire.

So we know the additional tire diameter will work with our cars.

I thank the second poster for the tire diameter link. Sweet, I saved it to look at later, and that should help you choose a tire.

Now to make a choice on what rim diameter you want, width, offset, tire size in diameter and width you are going to be on your own to experiment a bit. Take some measurements and work it.

I did remember seeing a SEMA car that was modified on this forum somewhere that had some larger diameter and sized tires. perhaps search for that and use as a reference...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Setting aside the speedo issue as the car currently reads about 4% low in any event, there is clearly enough room for a tire with a 1" increase in rolling diameter. The car won't even go through our local car wash with the current ride height. I'm not looking to put on 8.5" rims and 20" wheels albeit with low profile tires, just looking to gain even 1/2" of ride height. I'm sure someone out there has put a higher profile tire, possibly even on the 18" wheels (that we currently have).
If you're looking at a taller profile tire because of the poor road conditions in your area as you mentioned, you'll want to go with a smaller rim size to give you that extra "cushion". That's why I posted my link, so you know what VW fits on other (presumably cheaper) trims and models.

As far as car washes, my eGolf has no problem with clearing the tracks on those. It has 5 inches of ground clearance vs. the 5.5 inches of ground clearance of a GSW SEL FWD.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Just remember, an Alltrack has bigger front brakes as opposed to a GSW. In case you don't believe me, just do a search and we confirmed it a month ago. I can't imagine that a 17" wouldn't be suffice and a 16" would be more than suffice. I have 16" on my Eurovan with 215/65/16 and I've hit some big stuff over 14 years with that 4800lb beast and never bent a wheel or tore up a tire. Plus, I've camped all over the place and taken that thing down not so nice rock paths. If you are looking for a more durable tire, then look for a higher load rating when you go to 16". There are plenty out there and they will easily hold up to anything you throw at that GSW. It'll ride rougher but it'll take the abuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.