VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left for work that morning with my wife (we work at the same small manufacturing company in Louisville) in our Jetta Sport, much like any other Wednesday. Later that night (technically 1am the next morning), the Sport has a new pal in the garage!

After giving our '84 Audi 4000 to my brother to use in college last Christmas, we'd been casually looking for another "fun" car to replace it, keeping with the same low-budget theme ($3000 or less).

I started reading up on Boxsters since I couldn't seem to get into the older, front engined P-cars, and we already had a front engined car. I knew they were out of my price range, but I looked none the less. After finding some nice examples in the $6k-$10k range, I figured I'd expand my search radius and loosen my typical criteria.

To my surprise and delight, SearchTempest found one that looked promising and it was only 300 miles away in Kingsport, Tn! I rented a Nissan Versa and headed to check it out with cash in hand. The trip down wasn't an especially fun drive except seeing some nice scenery in the mountains. But driving home in a 986 with two brand new rear tires in the passenger seat was quite the experience, especially since it was my first time in a Porsche, and one with the engine behind me at that!

I'll have more pictures and info later tonight when I'll get to wash it and maybe order a few parts.

That last one was my "congratulations breakfast" from my wife!

Oh, by the way, $3000 for the car, about $260 to register and title it until next October! Not too shabby!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Beware of the Intermediate Shaft issues.

The purpose of the intermediate shaft is to drive the camshafts indirectly off the crankshaft. By
using an intermediate shaft, the speed of the chains are reduced, which is better for chain life.
This basic design was used throughout the entire lifespan of the aircooled six-cylinder Mezger
engine used through 1998. The inclusion of an intermediate shaft which drives the camshafts
indirectly off the crankshaft has been a mainstay of the horizontally-opposed flat 6 engine
utilized by Porsche.
The most common deficiency with the M96 engine and its revisions through 2008 is the failure
of the ball-bearing found in the intermediate shaft. The intermediate shaft found in the M96
and later M97 engine was revised three times. The earliest design incorporated a dual-row ballbearing
used through model year 1999 and in some 2000 and 2001 models. Starting in model
year 2000, Porsche began phasing out the dual row bearing and went to a smaller single row,
with significantly less load capacity. From model year 2002 -2006, all engines used this smaller,
lower capacity bearing. Starting with the 2006 model year, the design was again revised to use a
much larger single row bearing with the same load capacity of the early dual-row ball-bearings.
This bearing increased in diameter, which increased the bearing and ball speed, further
improving the bearing. However, starting with the 2006 model year, Porsche in its third revision
of the intermediate shaft bearing, changed over to a design that is not serviceable, leaving later
model years with no recourse for addressing this issue with preventative maintenance, which
failures still frequent. In all revisions, a sealed ball-bearing was used, rather than allowing for
engine oil to lubricate and cool the ball-bearing. There is no recommended service interval for
these bearings nor provisions for their replacement from the factory. However, with model year
1997 through 2005 engines, the intermediate shaft bearing thankfully is serviceable and with
preventative maintenance, costly repairs can be prevented.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,476 Posts
Congrats, OP.

Keep us posted on the ownership experience. I've always wondered how a $3k German car would fare.
I bought a $3K BMW M3 last Thanksgiving (OK, $3500) and so far "it hasn't been that bad." Yeah, I'm doing a head gasket on it right now, but it has 200,000 miles on it and the failure mode was a little coolant dribble down the side of the block. Never overheated, and when I took apart the motor, it still has the original crosshatching on the cylinder walls, even at 200K, and had been tracked. So yeah, that's what you pay a little bit of a premium for with German Engineering - good solid, fundamentals. Electronics, not so much :laugh:

Now, OP - I'd say you have a lot more balls than I do, a $3K 986 is a lot more risky IMO than a $3K E36 M3. But...it isn't impossible to keep a 986 going on a budget. I have a buddy of mine who has a first-year (so, 1997) 986 that had definitely been in an accident some time in its life (I can't remember if it was a salvage title or not) and he's kept it on the road for the last 7 years - not as his daily, but he's also not made of money either. If you're wise about where and when to spend the money, you'll do fine.

That exhaust is interesting - usually the base 986's have a single exhaust tip. Yours looks like someone either grafted on a twin tip, put an aftermarket exhaust on, or put on the Boxster S exhaust, since it looks very similar to a 986 S setup.

Enjoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Try a peanut butter and honey sandwich. It's "ZOMG good!" :eek:

Hmmmm... I'm going to have to put peanut butter and honey on waffles now. :laugh:

Also try pumpkin butter on ginger snaps. You won't regret it.
1. Peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey. Life changing...
2. Waffles are hideously nasty. Pancakes for life.
3. OP nice find!

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Hi, neighbor! :wave:

Good luck with it. If the unthinkable happens and the intermediate shaft does let go, you can always swap in an LS V8 and rip some asphalt! ;)
I second this!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
48,543 Posts
1. Peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey. Life changing...
2. Waffles are hideously nasty. Pancakes for life.
3. OP nice find!
Home made waffles done correctly are delicious. this isn't some "leggo my Eggo" kind of thing I'm talking about here. :) :beer:

Try some good pumpkin pancakes, too. When done right syrup not required. Mmmmmmm...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So here's a bit more info on the ride:

Rebuilt title (you probably guessed it) due to front end damage-mostly suspension. It was actually repaired twice, so it's gotta be correct now, right?

It's got 123,000 miles on it, 5 speed of course. New parts include front end suspension minus struts, front brakes, master and slave cylinders, tires, oil & filter, "custom" exhaust (no details on the exhaust except that it growls below 3000 rpm and sings above 3000.

The radio and passenger heated seat are both wonky. There are a few scuffs on vacation the body and one on the top. All the spare wheel and Porsche tool kit stuff is there and unused. Only one small hole in the leather.

"Immediate" needs include: brake booster, washer fluid pump, restore headlights

Gonna get soon: short throw shifter kit, fluids (oil, trans, diff, coolant), valve cover gasket, IMS bearing

Edit: included IMS

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.