VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it's probably a good idea that you don't, at some point in the near future some of you will most likely choose to procreate. When you do you're going to want to put a baby seat in the back of your b5 a4. Now you could strap the seat in using belts and whatnot, but there is a better way that makes it easier to install/remove the seats and (supposedly) makes your baby safer called LATCH (in the US... all you communists outside the US call it something else... CANFIX, UCSSS, ISOFIX, ISOFIT).
As the feds didn't require LATCH until the 2003 model year, audi decided to make the b5 LATCH ready but not fully enabled. As most of you remember from the good old "windowsXP ready" and more recently the "windows vista ready" days that means you're so close you can taste the functionality, but the manufacturer left something out that you're going to have to go buy if you want to have 100% functionality.
In the case of many, that means audi supplied LATCH tethers on your rear deck, but screwed you on the all important (and much more useful since from day 1 they can be utilized rather than after a year...) lower anchor brackets.
The part numbers for the LATCH lower anchors are burried deeeeeeeep in the ETKA, so I figured I'd post them in here in case anybody needed to bolt them on. Be forewarned, it's a snug fit in there and unlike other b5s or newer a4s once you're done attaching them they are not as readily accessable as other vehicles, but you can still get to them.
Have your torx bits handy as both the bolt to remove the seat backs and the bolts to hold the brackets down are torx.
Also as a note, all TSBs from Audi and VW specifically mention that they do not recomend putting your child seat in the middle position and using LATCH lower anchors to attach it. Do what you will with that info.
Required parts numbers:
8E0-837-453-A :: Bolts, you need 4, list is $4.28 ea
8D0-813-545 :: left side bracket, you need 1, list is $71.36
BD0-813-546-A :: right side bracket, you need 1, list is $71.36
Optional part numbers:
8L0-019-233 :: Plastic guides to cover latch clips, you would need 4, I skipped this because they serve absolutely NO purpose so I can't give you the price
Installation:
1) Lift out rear bench (grab front, yank up, pull out!)
2) Fold rear seat backreasts down
3) Remove single torx bolt between the two seats, remove tiny metal retaining clip that it's holding down
4) Grab a seat back, lift out of bracket, slide in toward center of car to slide it off outside mounting pin.
5) Repeat for other side.
6) You'll see 4 holes now for the bracket bolts, both sets are spaced differently, so grab a bracket, put it on the side it fits proplery on, and bolt it down using 2 bolts.
7) Repeat on the other side
8) Reverse the process to reinstall
FYI the seats in the MY 98 cars are different. Removing them... your problem. Hit the bentley, scooter! Also, some cars will not have the tethers up top. Those are easy to install in the sedan, not so much in the avant, but I didn't have to install them so the first person to have to do it can walk everyone through that.
After that you're done. Pop the seat in the car, kid in the seat, key to the on position, then grip it and/or rip it. Babies love boosting. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Bumping this from the dead to add new info. These individual parts are expensive (and have only gone up since the original post), but there's a complete VW kit that's cheaper, and ECS Tuning sells it.

Right side: ZAW269004 ($13.56 plus shipping)
Left side: ZAW269005 ($9.76 plus shipping)

The kits include the lower anchors plus the needed bolts. I just ordered mine last night, and they're supposed to ship in 1-3 days.

:thumbup::thumbup: as always to ECS Tuning!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
One more update: I finally got around to the installation, and found that my '97 does NOT have mounting provisions for the lower brackets. The upper anchors were no problem, but the lowers just aren't gonna happen.

Anyone who wants the lowers cheap, let me know.

·
Registered
270 Posts
One more update: I finally got around to the installation, and found that my '97 does NOT have mounting provisions for the lower brackets. The upper anchors were no problem, but the lowers just aren't gonna happen.

Anyone who wants the lowers cheap, let me know.
Intersted. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts