VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved the 70s concept cars, especially concept supercars. They manage to look somewhat modern, but in the end are usually just tacky representations of their era, usually with a few noteworthy features.
Here are 3 of my favorites:
The Bertone/Alfa-Romeo Carabo of 1968:

Link to huge pic.
Named after a small green beetle, this one represented Nuccio Bertone's vision of the sports car of the future. It went together very quickly, in just 10 weeks. Designed for use on the high-speed superhighways of Europe, this car was to blend interior space and comfort with excellent (?) aerodynamics and high speed. It only stands about 40 inches high, and entry/exit is helped by doors that swing upwards and forwards like on a more modern Lamborghini.
It's built on the Alfa-Romeo P33 Strada chassis, with the 2-liter Alfa V8 that produces 230hp, and can propel the car to 160mph. For 1968 it does boast some interesting features. It was one of the first cars to use lightweight anti-glare Glaverbel glass, it carries it's fuel in a rubber fuel-cell bladder, and it has bright fluorescent day-glo markings on it's front and rear (orange in the front, green in the back) to ensure visibility in even the worst weather. I really like the pointy 70s-ish wedge action of the design. It dates the car, but it still looks great. Those side windows remind me of the Subaru SVX

Next, from one of the other Italian design houses, The Pininfarina/Ferrari Modulo of 1970:

With the front opened up.
Pininfarina built this car on a Ferrari 512 chassis, if memory serves. The idea here was to build a 'modular' car that could be fitted out with different interior/engine setups without changing the body. In theory, one would've been able to specify a large powerful engine and 2 seats, or maybe 4 seats and a small 4-cylinder engine, similar to how the boating industry has done things for years.
Interior space and ease of entry were also on the minds of the designers. The largest section of the interior is centered right around the driver's seat, and the controls are adjustable via a spherical module to the driver's right, so he can put them at any angle and height he desires. There are no doors, as we can see in the pics above, but instead the whole front of the car slides forward so people can just walk in upright and seat themselves. It is supposedly a very roomy car, despite being 37 inches tall.
It's a fine slab of 70s funk, if you ask me.
Lastly, we come to this side of the pond and look at the 1973 GM XP-882 '4 rotor' concept car.

1976 version from several angles/
In 1970, GM did the first XP-882 chassis, basically as an expiremental design...I'm not even sure what engine it had. However, in 1973, it received a 420hp 4-rotor (probably just 2 of the 2-rotor GM wankels put together somehow) wankel engine. Unlike the somewhat blunt-nosed 1970 version, this car had a far more aggressive, Corvette-like nose. In 1976, GM just dropped a V8 and a 3-speed automatic in it, tossed out the Wankels, and it became the 1976 Aerovette concept car. Supposedly it came close to production around 1979, but obviously that never happened. From the side, you can't really tell if it's coming or going, but from above and from the front angles, I think it looks smashing. Corvette boffins will recognize the wheels from 1978 Corvettes

Post up any others you like!

Modified by tehAndy at 11:54 AM 2-6-2007

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (tehAndy)

Quote »
Unlike the Charger II of 1965, with which the Dodge stylists tested the public's response to a planned, similarly styled production car, the 1968 Charger III styling study was not meant for large-scale production. Dodge did not intend to produce two-seater sports cars at the time. Instead, the Charger III served the purpose of presenting new styling elements and technical features, and it was "the aerodynamically most efficient car ever designed and built by Dodge," as the official announcement put it. An interesting feature: the complete cockpit roofing including the sides could be folded out and back again as in an aircraft cockpit.

Modified by Bonfire at 11:34 AM 2-6-2007

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (Bonfire)

Quote »
Bertone stunned the world at the 1970 Turin Motorshow with their Stratos Zero design. Nuccio Bertone initially wanted to call the ultra-compact wedge-shape design Stratoline because of its space-ship-like appearance. Not much on the Stratos concept was conventional, except for the fact that the wheels were round. Fitted low and midships in the chassis was a 1.6 Lancia Fulvia powerplant. The running prototype featured an all new monocoque style chassis, custom built for the Stratos.
In the next few months the concept appeared in magazines all over the world and Lancia talked with Bertone to construct a purpose built rally based on the Stratos design. This car debuted at the 1971 Turin Motorshow and resembled the previous Stratos in name only. Even though Lancia was working on a new competition engine Bertone fitted the Stratos with a Ferrari Dino engine which he had lying about. The extremely compact design looked like the winning recipe for the twisty roads used in rallies.
Nothing much happened in 1972 as Lancia was still waiting for their new competition engine. Late that year Bertone suggested that Lancia should stick with the Ferrari engine and start production of the Stratos. His suggestion received mixed reactions but works racing manager Cesare Fiorio was on his side. Finally production of the 400 cars needed for homologation started. By October 1974 the Stratos was homologated for Group 4 rallying.
Over the next couple of years the Stratos' dominance was total. It scored 17 world championship victories and over 50 european championship victories. Victory in the legendary rally Monte Carlo rally was taken four out five times between 1975 and 1979. Two were converted to Group 5 road racing specifications with a turbocharged engine. These silhouette-racers didn't fare nearly as well as their Group 4 counterparts. At the end of the decade it was replaced by the Fiat 131 Mirafiori.
Featured is the original Stratos Zero Concept, which starred at the Turin Motorshow in Novermber 1970. Remarkably the very low car is a fully running prototype, like most Bertones of the day. Access to the tiny cockpit is through a 'canopy', made easier by a collapsable steering column. Still in fully running order, the Bertone masterpiece is seen here at the public part of the 2006 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in the nearby Villa Erba park.

· Registered
12,718 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (tehAndy)

Quote, originally posted by tehAndy »
Those side windows remind me of the Subaru SVX

That's no coincidence... Guess who designed the SVX?

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Re: (tehAndy)

Quote »
The Mazda RX 500 was the star attraction at the 17th Tokyo Motor Show in 1970. It was developed by the research and design staff at the Toyo Kogyo Company and was a mobile test bed for high-speed safety. The body of the car was constructed from plastic, which helped keep the weight down to 1100 lbs. The Mazda RX 500 had a rotary engine mounted forward of the rear axles and was capable of 125mph. It also featured multi coloured lights, at the rear end of the car, which indicating whether the car was accelerating, braking or running at a constant speed.

· Registered
Bluestar, XL40
16,241 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (Bonfire)

Quote, originally posted by Bonfire »

The Aerovette looks nice too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another from GM, the XP-898 of 1973.

It was built on the Vega chassis, of all things, and only had 80-90 hp, but I think it looks great. Very clean lines. If you ask me, THIS should've been the Corvette of 1976 (though obviously with a real engine and built on a different platform). It woud've been the perfect transition between the Sharks and the C4s.

· Registered
9,706 Posts

Maserati Boomerang anybody?

Quote »
Giorgetto Giugiaro stunned the world with his Boomerang concept of which a non-functional model was shown first at the 1971 Turin Motorshow. This fully functional Boomerang was launched at the 1972 Geneva Motorshow. The wedge shaped car is powered by a Bora derived V8 engine.
Some of Italdesign's most famous designs use the wedge shape found on the Boomerang, most notably the Lotus Esprit which is still in production almost three decades after Giugiaro penned its design. Giugiaro hand-signed the rear of the car at the 1990 Bagatalle Concours d'Elegance, the first appearance of the car after a thorough restoration.
The Boomerang is seen here at 2002 Retromobile show in Paris, where it was the star of the Christie's auction. In the thirty years since its conception it covered just 100 Miles, it is however legalised for road use by the very strict German TUV.

· Registered
8,643 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Bonfire »

Modified by Bonfire at 11:34 AM 2-6-2007

Oh cool, I have a Matchbox car of this, and I never knew it was really a concept car.

· Registered
18,892 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (RabbitsKin)

it's kinda OT but everytime i see the current Civic's i feel it's like an 80's study of the car for the year 2000

· Registered
23,972 Posts
Re: Late 60s and early 70s concept cars were the coolest concept cars. (DUTCHMANia)

Bizzarrini Manta?

I think it was a one-off, so it qualifies as a concept

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.