VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out here. looking to replace all 4 struts and what ever else has gone wrong after 130k in regards to suspension. Things are a bit loud and im having trouble with control over bumps .i have never done any suspension work before... i know i need the struts, a spring compressor (cheap one, $38, from harbor freight ok?) strut nut socket( allows you to get an allen wrench in there 21mm or 22mm for late model/ chassis number 96 jetta) but what else am i looking at? i read a mk4 diy somewhere on here but was wondering about mk3(is it the same?). what else should i be replacing. bushings? bearings? what? should i be able to salvage all other parts and slap them on new struts?
I'm looking at GAP
Front sealed strut assembly, Sachs/Boge Gas...Gas strut assembly from Corrado, also fits Jetta. $90.41
Gas strut assembly from Corrado, also fits Jetta. $80.48
ones sealed and the other isnt? will either of these make installation any easier? not really looking for an upgrade but dont mind spending the extra 15 bucks for a bit more control over stock with the corrado ones. help me out here yall. those two are of course the front...I am assuming most of not everything will applay with the rear as well. thanks in advance...may even start a DIY for this...if all goes well that is....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: late model 96 mk3 strut diy (surfmore72)

Bushing, original rubber, rear upper shock mount. 6.77 x2
Bushing, original rubber, rear lower shock mount. 9.66 x2
Bump stop, front strut 9.65 x2
Bump stop, rear shock 8.19 x2
Dust sleeve, shock 2.65 x2
Strut bearing kit 30.00
Rear shock, Bilstein Touring Class 54.02 x2
Front strut assembly, Bilstein Touring Class 80.48 x2
so thats 372 without shipping...the strut tool (gonna try to rig one up...any suggestions?) spring compressor 40 bucks..so like 420 or so...is that pretty complete? what else should i be looking at preparing for to do this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.