VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal (and this is set in stone at this point)...
We will be getting a 250hp 3.2l VR6 Golf V R32 in a two-door configuration *with* DSG. I'll go out on a limb and predict the price point will be just under 33k.
While we did our best to try and persuade VW to offer the car with the manual transmission that the majority of you wanted, the reality is that VW and Audi had already did development on the Audi A3 3.2 with DSG and doing the same combination in the R32 would minimize the development time and costs in terms of EPA certification and programming.
So we should expect to see the Golf V R32 in two-door configuration and DSG here in August of 2007 as a 2008 model. Expect pricing to be around $32,850 or so but don't hold me to that.
- jamie
<minor update on Sept 1 to clarify a few things regarding price and availability>

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Good news for the resale value of the MkIV R32. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ian

Or good news for people like me, who wanted that exact configuration. BOOYA, R32 here I come.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (U n i o n 0015)

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »

Or good news for people like me, who wanted that exact configuration. BOOYA, R32 here I come.

Exactly! The only thing that is missing from making my MKIV R perfect to me is the DSG. My only wish is that the MKV R would be available in a five-door configuration...oh well, I'm happy to hear the MKV will have DSG

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (June 1, 2006)... ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Ok, here is the deal (and this is set in stone at this point)...
We will be getting a 250hp 3.2l VR6 Golf V R32 in a two-door configuration *with* DSG. I'll go out on a limb and predict the price point will be around $32k.

Not too bad. Like some of the others above, I really wanted this car to come with DSG. I thought it was a neat idea, and then one drive in a DSG MK V GTI was all it took to completely convince me. DSG for me!
The 5 door would have been nice, but the 3 door isn't bad, and I can certainly see why that's the better choice for VW as a company.
Quote »
So we should expect to see the Golf V R32 in two-door configuration and DSG here in July of 2007. *Maybe* a few years after that we'll see an R36 based on the new Golf VI/facelift and we'll naturally do our best to try and coax VW into offering what the majority of you want.
- jamie

That would be cool. If a facelift R36 comes out in, say 2009 or so, that will most likely be right on time for a new car for me!
-Tim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: (dfwvw)

This is great news for us that love our DSG's, but I can see why some of the 6MT devotees would be disappointed.
However, it should be remembered that the mere fact that VW has even decided to bring this car here is good news for VW enthusiasts.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: (dfwvw)

Not what I wanted to see http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Oh well - I guess there is always hope for the MKVI...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

Looks like I will be going with a GTI 4-door. I love the 2 door, but I am going to need 4 doors with the my newest mod (Baby boy) to my family! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I will post up a pick later on with his VW "Driver Born" shirt later. I was told if I put an R badge on his arm he would crawl faster.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (Mehr_PSI)

Oh well, guess it'll be a 4-door GTI or an A3 for me then.

·
Registered
85 Posts

That's exactly what I wanted, a 2 door DSG equiped R32.
Nice!

·
Registered
11,162 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

While we did our best to try and persuade VW to offer the car with the transmission that the majority of you wanted, the reality is that VW and Audi had already did development on the Audi A3 3.2 with DSG and doing the same combination in the R32 would minimize the development time and costs.

I assume by "minimize the development time and costs" they mean certification time and costs, because the R32 seems to be doing fine on the other side of the pond with the manual transmission (from a "development" perspective.)

·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2020 Cayman T
2,930 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (Professor Gascan)

Any word on if it will be offered in Canada this time?

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (VRado6)

Quote, originally posted by VRado6 »
Any word on if it will be offered in Canada this time?

As of the last update, Canadian dealer's were told that Canada would be included this time around.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (U n i o n 0015)

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
Jamie, do you know if they're planning only 5,000 units again? I honestly think they'd have no problem selling 7-10,000 of MKV R's.

5,000 units again - however at a $32k price tag, the old R32 in the market and DSG only I think they aren't going to sell like hotcakes compared to the Golf IV R32. However if they actually put some marketing muscle behind it they may do ok.
The DSG transmission is adding $1075 to the cost of the vehicle. The Audi A3 3.2l starts at $33,980 - then add $1,100 for the Sunroof, $1000 18" wheels, $800 HID's and $350 for Sirius/XM prep to make it comparable to the R32 and the A3 is now up to $37,250.
So the R32 compared to the A3 is a bargain. However depending on your priorities (much more strictly performance oriented) the STI or EVO might make more sense for some. I think the R32 has always been a different beast than the STI/EVO and all of these models at that price point appeal to a unique buyer. The 5,000 of the Golf IV R32 models they sold went quickly and continue to hold a higher than average resale value so it is hard to say the R32 wasn't successful.
-jamie

1 - 20 of 763 Posts