VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal (and this is set in stone at this point)...
We will be getting a 250hp 3.2l VR6 Golf V R32 in a two-door configuration *with* DSG. I'll go out on a limb and predict the price point will be just under 33k.
While we did our best to try and persuade VW to offer the car with the manual transmission that the majority of you wanted, the reality is that VW and Audi had already did development on the Audi A3 3.2 with DSG and doing the same combination in the R32 would minimize the development time and costs in terms of EPA certification and programming.
So we should expect to see the Golf V R32 in two-door configuration and DSG here in August of 2007 as a 2008 model. Expect pricing to be around $32,850 or so but don't hold me to that.
- jamie
<minor update on Sept 1 to clarify a few things regarding price and availability>

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (U n i o n 0015)

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
Jamie, do you know if they're planning only 5,000 units again? I honestly think they'd have no problem selling 7-10,000 of MKV R's.

5,000 units again - however at a $32k price tag, the old R32 in the market and DSG only I think they aren't going to sell like hotcakes compared to the Golf IV R32. However if they actually put some marketing muscle behind it they may do ok.
The DSG transmission is adding $1075 to the cost of the vehicle. The Audi A3 3.2l starts at $33,980 - then add $1,100 for the Sunroof, $1000 18" wheels, $800 HID's and $350 for Sirius/XM prep to make it comparable to the R32 and the A3 is now up to $37,250.
So the R32 compared to the A3 is a bargain. However depending on your priorities (much more strictly performance oriented) the STI or EVO might make more sense for some. I think the R32 has always been a different beast than the STI/EVO and all of these models at that price point appeal to a unique buyer. The 5,000 of the Golf IV R32 models they sold went quickly and continue to hold a higher than average resale value so it is hard to say the R32 wasn't successful.
-jamie

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Re: (boomgarden)

The general tone of this thread is similar to the ones generated when the Mk4 R32 was announced for the U.S. market as well only the arguments where centered mostly on things that didn't make it over (and a number of people that wanted DSG or the 4-door).
Not that people can't complain about the specific model we are getting, but for those complaining about performance and such, you're grasping at staws and don't have a clue what you are talking about since you've never driven the car (particularly you Mk4 R32 owners). Mk4 R32 owners should remember well all the bashing of their beloved car as compared to numerous other cars on the market - nevermind that it was one of Top Gear's 10 Top Performance Cars of the Year.
The Golf IV R32 is a great car. The new Golf V R32 is actually an improvement in all areas (except maybe looks which is subjective). Would I like to see it with 300hp? Sure. Would I ideally like to see both manual and DSG and 3 and 5-door configurations available here? Absolutely, but despite our efforts here, VWAG has dictated what we are going to get on this one and that's that.
-jamie

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (vwheimlich)

Currently looks like the only option on the R32 will be DVD-based Navigation, otherwise everything else is standard equipment (dual zone climatronic, leather interior, etc.,etc.). We will be getting the standard R32 seat which is similar to the leather sport seat in the GTI - the optional lightweight Recaro "shell" seats were never designed for the new occupancy detection system and would have to be reengineered and tested which neither VW nor Recaro want to blow big bucks on.
Expect pricing to be just under $33k.
-jamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.