VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (boomgarden)

Quote, originally posted by boomgarden »
And, if it's correct that the DSG's power handling limitations nixed the 3.6 litre, then we may find that the MkV R32 may have significant limitations in terms of how much you can modify the engine before you exceed the transmission's capacity.

This is where my biggest "beef" with having a DSG transmission exists. This is viewed as a car for enthusiasts, in my opinion, an enthusiast is also someone who likes to modify their cars to make them more powerful, handle better, and brake harder.
If the DSG transmission can't hold the power, is this car really meant for enthusiasts after all?
Once again, this is all based on my personal view of what an enthusiast actually is...

just my .02
-Marc

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (U n i o n 0015)

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
If you look back to the MkIV R32, it really widened the appeal of the R to a whole other group of enthusiasts besides VW-heads. There are people out there who own R's, but would never touch another VW. It was a special model that got lots of positive press. That's why I think the appeal of the MkV R32 is even greater than that of the MkIV, which didn't have much of a following other than Vortex when it launched here in 2004. You've now got a lot of people who aren't on Vortex, who know what an R32 is, and will be very interested in seeing this new one hit showrooms. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I agree, but at the same time look at the amount of forced induction development went into the MKIV R. I couldn't believe how much devotion (in research, development, and production) tuning companies were showing in developing FI applications for such a limited production car.
I do agree with you that this car will bring more people into the VW scene, however I also believe it will bring a different demographic. I think if their decision was going to be DSG, it should have been paired with a 5 door model. If it was going to be 6-speed it should have been with a 3 door model.
-Marc

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: (NY SLC 93)

Quote, originally posted by NY SLC 93 »
Why would they not offer it in both transmission combinations. I'm skeptical. I bet we'll get some 6-spd's

Jamie previously mentioned that this wouldn't happen. They would have to certify two different cars in the US to make this happen and its not worth it because they are only bringing 5,000 units over - Certifying two cars would add a couple thousand dollars onto the price just to give people an option.
-Marc

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: (Stronzo)

Quote, originally posted by Stronzo »
I think that the manual option would have helped to move more units though, in that it might convince current Mk IV R owners to move to the newer platform and bring the price closer for those that were contemplating the purchase need.
Dsg Auto-Magic ain't my cup o' Tea Shift, too uninvolved. Paddle shifting can be found in many other main stream cars today (Pontiac ).. Sure not the same transmission but they share the same Gimmic.... at least it's still a Dub though
that's my rant

I wanted a manual tranny too...I was just explaining why they would not offer two different options. The reason is $$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.