VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

5,000 units again - however at a $32k price tag, the old R32 in the market and DSG only I think they aren't going to sell like hotcakes compared to the Golf IV R32. However if they actually put some marketing muscle behind it they may do ok.
The DSG transmission is adding $1075 to the cost of the vehicle. The Audi A3 3.2l starts at $33,980 - then add $1,100 for the Sunroof, $1000 18" wheels, $800 HID's and $350 for Sirius/XM prep to make it comparable to the R32 and the A3 is now up to $37,250.
So the R32 compared to the A3 is a bargain. However depending on your priorities (much more strictly performance oriented) the STI or EVO might make more sense for some. I think the R32 has always been a different beast than the STI/EVO and all of these models at that price point appeal to a unique buyer. The 5,000 of the Golf IV R32 models they sold went quickly and continue to hold a higher than average resale value so it is hard to say the R32 wasn't successful.
-jamie

Damn no sun-roof less option!!
Make mine without sunroof less and sat radio less for $30,500.00! Please
The sun-roof is just extra weight and it rattles!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (aaaassss)

Hey, Jamie, do you think the US market R32 will ride higher than its European counterpart, just like the GTI? If that is the case, then someone better get a part # for the European springs.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update ([email protected])

As far as the vortex crowd stands, this was a no-win situation for VW. 50% of the people wanted 3-door, and 50% 5-door - so right there you have disappointed half of the crowd. Throw the DSG decision in, and you've aggravated 68% of the voters in the transmission poll.
So 1/3 of 1/2 of the voting population equates to roughly 16% of the people that voted getting what they wanted. If you are one of those lucky 16%, your quite pleased. As for the rest of us, we can only hope that when the MKVI comes out, VW plans a little better for the US market and we get a choice of both how many doors and what type of transmission we'd like.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (EZ)

Like, I guess, 84% of you, this configuration isn't exactly what I had wanted, but I'll at least give it serious consideration.
My ideal would have included DSG, a 3.6 litre, and five doors. But, of all these, the DSG was most important to me. As far as the three-door configuration, I might be able to live with that. The MkV is roomier in the back and, assuming that VW addresses the awkward folding mechanism of the Koenig seats in the MkV version, it should make getting into and out of the rear seat easier. A 3.6 litre would have been nice, but . . .
I do wonder, though, how this will play in Peoria. Despite my personal preferences, it's clear that a lot of people looking at performance cars in the price/size segment want manuals. And, if it's correct that the DSG's power handling limitations nixed the 3.6 litre, then we may find that the MkV R32 may have significant limitations in terms of how much you can modify the engine before you exceed the transmission's capacity.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (EZ)

I 'm excited about the new R32. For those that want the 6 speed manual, prices will drop for the MKIV R32 which is an awesome car and very similar car to the MKV R32.
Hopefully when the R36 comes out they will have both manual and DSG but, for now I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (boomgarden)

Quote, originally posted by boomgarden »
And, if it's correct that the DSG's power handling limitations nixed the 3.6 litre, then we may find that the MkV R32 may have significant limitations in terms of how much you can modify the engine before you exceed the transmission's capacity.

This is where my biggest "beef" with having a DSG transmission exists. This is viewed as a car for enthusiasts, in my opinion, an enthusiast is also someone who likes to modify their cars to make them more powerful, handle better, and brake harder.
If the DSG transmission can't hold the power, is this car really meant for enthusiasts after all?
Once again, this is all based on my personal view of what an enthusiast actually is...

just my .02
-Marc

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (herbehop)

Quote, originally posted by herbehop »

This is where my biggest "beef" with having a DSG transmission exists. This is viewed as a car for enthusiasts, in my opinion, an enthusiast is also someone who likes to modify their cars to make them more powerful, handle better, and brake harder.
If the DSG transmission can't hold the power, is this car really meant for enthusiasts after all?
Once again, this is all based on my personal view of what an enthusiast actually is...

just my .02
-Marc

If you look back to the MkIV R32, it really widened the appeal of the R to a whole other group of enthusiasts besides VW-heads. There are people out there who own R's, but would never touch another VW. It was a special model that got lots of positive press. That's why I think the appeal of the MkV R32 is even greater than that of the MkIV, which didn't have much of a following other than Vortex when it launched here in 2004. You've now got a lot of people who aren't on Vortex, who know what an R32 is, and will be very interested in seeing this new one hit showrooms. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (U n i o n 0015)

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
If you look back to the MkIV R32, it really widened the appeal of the R to a whole other group of enthusiasts besides VW-heads. There are people out there who own R's, but would never touch another VW. It was a special model that got lots of positive press. That's why I think the appeal of the MkV R32 is even greater than that of the MkIV, which didn't have much of a following other than Vortex when it launched here in 2004. You've now got a lot of people who aren't on Vortex, who know what an R32 is, and will be very interested in seeing this new one hit showrooms. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I agree, but at the same time look at the amount of forced induction development went into the MKIV R. I couldn't believe how much devotion (in research, development, and production) tuning companies were showing in developing FI applications for such a limited production car.
I do agree with you that this car will bring more people into the VW scene, however I also believe it will bring a different demographic. I think if their decision was going to be DSG, it should have been paired with a 5 door model. If it was going to be 6-speed it should have been with a 3 door model.
-Marc

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (cyberob)

Very disappointing - DSG is a complete deal-killer for me. I guess I'm looking for something else and may go with a BMW 330xi instead - at least it has a manual transmission. Yes, its more expensive, but I wasn't that price-sensitive to begin with.
On the plus side, its just opened up a whole world of other cars for me to look at

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Good news for the resale value of the MkIV R32. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ian

x3
Quote, originally posted by sevenoverthree »
No doubt- My R is going NOWHERE

x2

Modified by w00sh! at 10:14 PM 6-1-2006

G

·
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (sevenoverthree)

Quote, originally posted by sevenoverthree »
No doubt- My R is going NOWHERE

Same here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (boomgarden)

HPA is working on DSG applications for the Twin Turbo set up's, so I don't think torque limitations are a problem any more.
On a side not, HPA are also offering a Mk4 DSG conversion for ~8k plus install i think. Not exactly cheap, but you do get a new clutch and gears as part of the install.
Something to consider, for those that want to keep their Mk4 R32...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (uberVduber)

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to you VW.
When are you going to learn? Why does the US market gets watered down crap...Good luck selling those.

Give us 300 hp and a 6spd, or dont bother bringing it. Hell, its probably a matter of weeks before the aftermarket has a 2.0 GTI that is making 300hp. Shame on you VW.
My R will never leave my possesion.

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (R32Rich)

Quote, originally posted by R32Rich »
Give us 300 hp and a 6spd, or dont bother bringing it.

Agreed. Why would I upgrade to a car that's arguably much uglier, not any faster, more expensive, AND has a gearbox that I can't stand?!
I'm not touching this thing.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Re: Latest Golf V R32 model Update (tekstepvr6)

Quote, originally posted by tekstepvr6 »
Once again VW fails to give the people what they want.

Bad move VW - an enthusiast car that is now even more overweight and only available in automatic? Take the DSG out and knock a few grand off the price tag and you'd sell twice as many here in the US! Oh well, at least my MKIV R32 will maintain value!

21 - 40 of 763 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.