VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any techniques for launching using DSG? Only thing I have found that works is simply giving it slight throttle in first, and then gradually flooring it towards the end of the gear, just so the front tires dont spin as much. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (Redline4200)

Quote, originally posted by Redline4200 »
Does anyone have any techniques for launching using DSG? Only thing I have found that works is simply giving it slight throttle in first, and then gradually flooring it towards the end of the gear, just so the front tires dont spin as much. Anyone have any suggestions?

Same here. Go gradually to full throttle to keep grip.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (eltonsi)

Quote, originally posted by eltonsi »
Floor it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Elton, be nice. He doesn't have quattro like you do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (Redline4200)

There was a European Car magazine article about the neuspeed a3 (front track, dsg) and they claimed to have "figured out" how to "trick" the tranny and do hard launches in the car. They never revealed how though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn't have much succees flooring it during a recent dragstrip tirp. While I didn't have any problems with grip, due to the surface, flooring it through the kickdown seemed to cause a lot of hesitation. I would go with the gradual to full-throttle approach. Launch control would be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (McGriddle)

WOT, wouldn't traction control take care of overspinning the wheels? Or are you turning it off so you can get the RPM jump out the gate?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (KnockKnock)

I think the traction control we have slow the car too much uncomfortablly. I usually just turn it off and the tires are good enough to get a grip.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (unclenoname)

One way I can think of doing that is putting the gear in park or neutral, set it to the right rpms, and quickly put it in to s and hold the throttle. I've tried it once but I accidently launched at around 4.5k and just spun the tire a lot. BTW, my dsg is still running strong

·
Registered
182 Posts
DSG Launches

I've been wondering about the best launch technique so I can be ready when my A3 arrives. I have read of people revving the engine and dropping it into "S", but that sounds horribly rough on the car.
If you do a brake hold, you have to be quick because the drive-by-wire throttle will cut the gas after a second or so. This is true in manuals, too--try left-foot braking sometime and you'll feel the car cut the throttle after 1-2 seconds. Thank 60 Minutes' report on the Audi 5000 for that nifty feature.
The one recommendation I saw on one of the TT discussion boards was to put the car in "S", pull the parking brake, apply gas just until the car is about to start moving against the brake (or, if you have FWD, the front wheels are starting to slip). Then drop the brake and mash the throttle at the same time.
Apparently on the drag strip some people trick the brake signal back to the ECM so they can left foot brake for good starts. But from what I hear that also defeats the brake lights since everything goes through the ECM, so it's something you have to put back to stock for the street.
Anyone out there tried the parking brake hold and launch method?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (KnockKnock)

Quote, originally posted by KnockKnock »
WOT, wouldn't traction control take care of overspinning the wheels? Or are you turning it off so you can get the RPM jump out the gate?

When I floor it -with traction control enabled- my wheels spin.
I actually keep meaning to ask the service technicians about this, as it doesn't seem intuitive. It also makes what seems like it might be an otherwise stupid question (root of this thread) a totally reasonable question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Launching DSG (bluely)

I really need to know the best way. I've already eaten an E90 325 with ease up to about 60, but I want a 330i. The parking brake technique sounds good. Anyone actually try it yet?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

I think that modern traction control allows for a controlled amount of wheelspin as long as the car isn't going too far sideways. It allows for wheels to dig into gravel/snow/mud instead of bogging down the engine entirely, which was a criticism of early traction control.
And that allows the revs to climb into the torque-peak, and that should help 0-60 times, which was more to the point. So I'm thinking that there's not a whole lot more to be gained with launch control. I think Motor Trend got a 6.2 0-60 time, which ain't really shabby

I think that (short of quattro) good summer tires, and chipping a 2.0T is the best route to eating a 330i.

Modified by KnockKnock at 4:42 PM 4/24/2006

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bluely »

When I floor it -with traction control enabled- my wheels spin.
I actually keep meaning to ask the service technicians about this, as it doesn't seem intuitive. It also makes what seems like it might be an otherwise stupid question (root of this thread) a totally reasonable question.

Just to double check, when you say enabled, is the ESP light on or off? When you press the button and hold, it disables it.
When I had it on (Lights off), wheel spin was really kept to a minimum on my 2.0T. But there is about a 1 second lag.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok, here's my rough take on it:
- Traction control enabled: You started the car, and did NOT hit the button. There is no lit icon on the dash, showing a mini-A3 swirving out of control (I think that is funny by the way). I think KnockKnock is exactly right, slight wheel spin is allowed, assuming the steering wheel isn't turned. Spin them too much, or turn while losing traction (punching it at apex) and traction control kicks in.
- Traction control disabled: Started the car and turned OFF traction control by PRESSING & HOLDING the button (light comes on, mini A3 about to crash-dash light comes on, car more fun to drive). Spin those tires...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Re: (Audiggity)

You cannot use pure power braking on these cars with DSG...with no Launch Control the clutch will simply dis-engage when you rev to 3K or so from a standstill, it will take a second to re-engage and then continue to simply spin the wheels. LC actually allows you to slip the clutch and get a almost perfect launch...too bad we don't have it. Flooring it won't work either. It is a total balance thing from my experience. You should turn off ESP..put in full manual mode...brake rev continuously to 2K (anything over or so and quickly left off the brake and accelerate half to 3/4 until it grips then mash it and shift yourself...I find it launches harder in full manual mode on 1st than it does simply on "S". Anyhow take it for what it's worth. Cheers.

Modified by chrisddo at 6:59 PM 4/24/2006

1 - 20 of 40 Posts