VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled off the clutch and flywheel to find my RMS has a small leak (photos/videos attached). I was in the middle of swapping out the clutch and flywheel so I suppose I am glad I found this issue now rather than later. I am a little disappointed though as I don't have a new RMS and will have to wait on parts for the time being.

Is it pretty rare for the RMS to go out on the MK6Rs? I read on a separate forum where a VW tech said he hasn't seen an FSI RMS leak in the 15 years he's been a technician.

Have any of you guys had issues with a leaking RMS?

Any recommendations of what RMS to use? OE? iabed billet?

I've also never done a RMS before so any tips/links to helpful pages would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Mine was leaking but very very little. I replaced with iabed. Awesome part. Should be replaced with any clutch job as you are already in there and its not too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Same here. Haven't seen a RMS leak on either the 1.8T or 2.0T timing belt driven engines. Looks like the housing is made of black plastic. On the 20 valve 1.8T the RMS housing is aluminum. If an OE replacement with an aluminum housing is available then go with that.

Check crankcase breather/PCV system. If it isn't evacuating correctly or is allowing boost to enter the crankcase it could be what caused it to fail.

New flywheel bolts should be used. OE bolts have sealer applied to them to prevent oil leaking through the threads. I think the green stuff around the thread holes in your picture is that sealer.

How many miles on engine/car?

I believe the seal needs a tool to install it around the crankshaft, sometimes replacements come with a basic tool that does the job. Check the seal before install for any imprints or irregularities. I think you'll also need sealant for the flange to block surface and to oil pan surface. Stuff rags/towels into any open areas to prevent crap from getting into oil pan while cleaning, don't forget to pill it out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here. Haven't seen a RMS leak on either the 1.8T or 2.0T timing belt driven engines. Looks like the housing is made of black plastic. On the 20 valve 1.8T the RMS housing is aluminum. If an OE replacement with an aluminum housing is available then go with that.

Check crankcase breather/PCV system. If it isn't evacuating correctly or is allowing boost to enter the crankcase it could be what caused it to fail.

New flywheel bolts should be used. OE bolts have sealer applied to them to prevent oil leaking through the threads. I think the green stuff around the thread holes in your picture is that sealer.

How many miles on engine/car?

I believe the seal needs a tool to install it around the crankshaft, sometimes replacements come with a basic tool that does the job. Check the seal before install for any imprints or irregularities. I think you'll also need sealant for the flange to block surface and to oil pan surface. Stuff rags/towels into any open areas to prevent crap from getting into oil pan while cleaning, don't forget to pill it out!
Thanks for the tips at the end there! I will definitely check out the PCV to see if that is failing. Currently, there are 89K miles on the engine and body. I have new flywheel as well as new pressure plate bolts.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I pulled off the clutch and flywheel to find my RMS has a small leak (photos/videos attached). I was in the middle of swapping out the clutch and flywheel so I suppose I am glad I found this issue now rather than later. I am a little disappointed though as I don't have a new RMS and will have to wait on parts for the time being.

Is it pretty rare for the RMS to go out on the MK6Rs? I read on a separate forum where a VW tech said he hasn't seen an FSI RMS leak in the 15 years he's been a technician.

Have any of you guys had issues with a leaking RMS?

Any recommendations of what RMS to use? OE? iabed billet?

I've also never done a RMS before so any tips/links to helpful pages would be greatly appreciated thanks. View attachment 85072
Mines leaking right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine was leaking about half a quart every 5,000 miles. Had it changed while it was apart for a new clutch and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
131 Posts
take car of ther most important thinks engine oil maintenance and all seals should last veery long. I have 2012 GTI w/130k same stock turbo and rear main seal. I changed my oil on time and with quality engine oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts