VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! I've got a noticeable oil leak from my valve cover gasket and am planning on changing it but, when I got to the Bahn Brenner Motorsports page, I noticed there's also a listing for camshaft seals. Should these be changed while I'm at it or do they usually not develop problems? Any special things to watch for? And, any preferences concering parts dealers? I'm not familiar enough with any of them to really make an informed decision.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Re: leaking valve cover gasket (K10turnedRocco)

Hmm, not sure. I brought my car in to get the cam shaft replaced and the guy replaced all those seals while he was at it and wasn't expensive to do at all, so i'm guessing its pretty easy. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to stick in a few new seals

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Im not sure about the cam seals but I know that you should go to http://www.parts4vws.com for the valve cover gasket and buy the all one piece Corrado G60 gasket upgrade. Trust me, it is worth the 20 bucks, I had the same problem and this worked great. Plus since its rubber you can reuse it a bunch of times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: leaking valve cover gasket (RoccinStrybs84)

Thanks, Roccin. So, the G60 is a 16v 4 cylinder, just turbocharged? Any extra parts or pieces I need or the gasket fits on with my existing hardware? Sorry to be so illiterate about the G60s...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Quote, originally posted by K10turnedRocco »
Thanks, Roccin. So, the G60 is a 16v 4 cylinder, just turbocharged? Any extra parts or pieces I need or the gasket fits on with my existing hardware? Sorry to be so illiterate about the G60s...

G60 is a supercharged 8V engine. You need the 2L valve cover upgrade from an MKIII. You will need different bolts or studs on it because it is thicker. It comes w/ all the pieces you need for camshaft and all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: leaking valve cover gasket (ncvwnut)

Alright, so, the G60 gasket is out...a new gasket with matching valve cover fasteners from a MkIII is in. Like a Golf GTi or Jetta? What year?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Ok I just noticed that your car is 16V. You will need the 16V valve cover gasket set. That is different because the spark plugs go through the middle of the valve head. Sorry for steering you the wrong way. I was thinking only for 8V engines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: leaking valve cover gasket (ncvwnut)

Yeah, thanks. In case any other newbie 16v owner wonders, neither the G60 valve cover gasket or the Mk III fit, but not to worry: the stock 16v gasket is a one piece rubber job, too. Don't forget to also order the intake plenum gasket as the plenum must be separated from the intake manifold to change the valve cover gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts