VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammnit,
I bought my a2 jetta over the summer and asked the owner if it leaked, cus my friends old a2 jettas useda smell like a SHOE during the rainy season, and he said it did once, but he fixed it. First rains came this week, pull a binder out of my the feet space for the back seat and its wet. lift up the floormat and i squeeze the carpet and there's water!
Anyone know where to look to fix the leak? I have a sunroof that I pop open everytime I drive. It seems pretty snug though. I hit a huge puddle last night to check out my Dunlop Sp8000's superior hydroplaning capabilities, so I suppose the water could have come from underneath.
The water is on the driver side of the car, right where the passanger's feet go.
Help! It's not moldy in there yet, but I'm scared!

·
Banned
11,608 Posts
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (GetOuttaMyWay)

check the seals under the doorcards
easy to fix and ussualy the problem......
also check for leaves in the raingutter under the hood

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (Dutchman)

Uh, sorry to sound dumb here, but the 'doorcards' are like the upholstery part of the door, right?
Should I look for like tears, or just for the seals not seating right?

·
Banned
11,608 Posts

yes they are the upholstery thingies....

you take them off
there will be a plastic seal underneath it
most of the time the plastic is ripped/loose or has just fallen apart
if you can repair it with some kit or tape.....fine
otherwise replace them
i made mine out of some clear plastic bags they use at buildingsites where the sand and cement comes in (really thick plastic)
just cut them to size and stick them on with some good water resistant kitt.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (Dutchman)

Awesome, thanks for the help Dutchman. I think the PO mentioned that he replaced that plastic too. He referred to it as a 'Membrane' and said that the PO before him had cut it when he put speakers in there. I'll take a look anyhow though, maybe he did the other side (the carpet on the otherside has this weird worn out spot, probably from rot..)
I pulled off the doorcards on my front doors to see what was up with the speakers in there over the summer, but I didn't see any plastic membrane or seal or anything. It was just the compressed paperboard or whatever that the card is made out of, then the door guts with the window motor and all that. Is that how its supposed to be?

·
Registered
652 Posts

I think that it's pretty common for A2's to leak after a while. correct me if I'm wrong!
For example my jetta: leaky trunk, and have the same problem on the front passenger side with leakage! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I've gotta replace the seals on all them & go from there.
Don't worry too much about the leakage. If you're really concerned whip out the vaccuum & suck up all the wasser. And try what
Dutchman said...I'm gonna http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif HTH

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (dubwerkz)

oh man, i thought my a2 was a special non-leaky one

Welp, I hope it clears up this weekend so I can poke around and see where the waters coming from.

[Modified by GetOuttaMyWay, 5:13 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
26,517 Posts

No, there should be a plastic liner that is attached to the sheet metal on the inside of the door panel between the metal and the pressboard of the doorcard.
I suspect that clogged drain holes in the bottom of the door might sometimes be at fault as well. Also the outer window seals on the bottom of the window frame. Mine have shrunken with age, meaning they no longer are snug against the glass--I'm sure this could allow more water to infiltrate the door panel. Careful about this, as not attending to my right front door plastic caused my doorcard to disintegrate at the bottom.

I redid all of mine a year or so ago with 2 layers of VERY thick plastic held on my 3M Strip-Calk (tm) and lots of very high quality duct tape.
Never had a problem with the doors at least...sunroof is another matter entirely *sigh*

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (clickhappy)

Ha, that web page is so awesome. The should put that as an insert to the Bentley for all the A2's
So basically I wanna glue or duct tape a layer of plastic to the cardboard-like side of my door panels? Or do I wanna fix the plastic to the actual inside of the door, then just mount the doorpanels onto the plastic?
Welp, its sunny.. I'm gonna go pull my doors apart and check my gutters as advised... thanks guys! Oh man, I just realized that the little plug on my driver seide fender that covers up the antenna hole (Cus i have a fuba thingy, not a fender mount) is gone. I wonder if the water could have come in from there? I never thought about where that whole went, just figured it went down to the wheel well or something...

[Modified by GetOuttaMyWay, 10:19 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Or do I wanna fix the plastic to the actual inside of the door, then just mount the doorpanels onto the plastic?
Welp, its sunny.. I'm gonna go pull my doors apart and check my gutters as advised... thanks guys![HR][/HR]​
Here is what I did:
The problem with the A2 vapor barrier design is that it is affixed to the wrong side of the sheet metal. If the seal is compromised, the water just comes inside.
I put new plastic on there, but instead of taping it onto the top of the metal like stock, I left the bottom hanging and tucked it into the INSIDE of the door, where the drain holes are. It's like shingle. Any water is redirected to the drain holes.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (Tarmac)

Ok,
So I got a tube of caulking for $3.75 and scored some heavyduty, lumber yard style plastic sheeting from the dumpster behind the hardware store and glued the plastic up. I left the door card off and after a day of rain, I can see droplets of water on the INSIDE of the plastic, as it should be! I gotta do it to the rest of the doors as soon as it clears up, and I think I should put an extra bead of caulking down at the bottom since I guess that's whats really gonna keep the water from dripping into the car.
Thanks for the tips guys, it works!

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Re: Leaky Jetta... Help! (phatvw1)

Maybe this should be a separate post, but how do you fix SUNROOF LEAKS?? The link that I saw doesn't say very much about this type of thing. Where are the drain holes or tubes and where do they lead to?? I'd like to try and unclog mine...

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts