VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just recently bought a gti 1.8T and am looking into learning more about cars, motors and what makes you go fast

So im asking you guys, how did you learn about cars, magazines, books, classes??
interested in all

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (kaltenacht)

the best way is through experience. here's the cheapest way:
go to your local library and look in the section devoted to "how to fix cars". take a book out, read it cover to cover, and repeat this process until you're done with all the books.
as you read each applicable book, do it while you are WITH your car. in other words as you learn how engines work, pop the hood on your real car and point out all the parts the book is talking about.
this method will cost you nothing, and you'll get a really good idea of how cars work.

obin

·
Registered
29,223 Posts

I learned about it when I accidentally walked in on my mom and dad.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (Obin Robinson)

First learn how internal combustion engines work. It amazes me how many, "enthusiasts" don't really know the basics of Suck Squish Bang Blow.
Be able to trace air and gas from the outside and fuel tank respectively to the exhaust tip.
Then you'll be able to better undertand how to make power.
Learn what things look like. Open your hood and point to stuff and name it (my alternater is named Norman, for example!). Do the same on another car with a different engine.
As far as suspension goes, there are a lot of books out there about setup and geometry. Its complicated stuff.
Learn the basics of all this, and you'll be less intregued by snake oil and the go-fast fads that seem to be everywhere in this post-Fast and Furious world.

Modified by Rennwagen at 11:14 AM 10-21-2003

·
Registered
29,223 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (Rennwagen)

Quote, originally posted by Rennwagen »
It amazes me how many, "enthusiasts" don't really know the basics of Suck Squish Bang Blow.

Again, I thank mom and dad for this lesson.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,069 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
go to your local library and look in the section devoted to "how to fix cars".

I fear that if you do this with what most libraries have, he'd be looking for the carb on that 1.8T, or the rear differential.
Road and Track wrote a pretty thorough dictionary of automotive terms. I'd start there, and then maybe move on to the SAE handbook if you wanted more. Or, buy the shop manual for your car from Bentley and read it. Amazing what you'd learn from that.
How did most of us get to where we are? Years of being around this stuff, years of reading car magazines, driving anything we can get our hands on, talking about cars to excess, going through junkyards, taking stuff apart (and maybe getting it back together.)
One thing though - be wary of who you learn stuff from. Keep in mind that tuner magazines have advertisers that make the stuff that they laud as being the best thing since sliced bread. Also, your fellow forum members are very likely to strongly defend their automotive choices or modifications, regardless of validity.
Tom

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (mutcth)

Or you can hang out on web boards, ask questions and pay attention...
Seconded on the Robert Bentley. I needed an RB manual for my Saab, some basic tools and a willingness to get my hands very dirty in order to learn as much about cars as I know now... helped quite a lot.

·
Registered
14,515 Posts
RE: Judging

The way I learned is by experience because that truly is the best way to learn. I mean, yea, you could read all the books in the world, but until you actually get to doing what you read about, or at least seeing it in person, you'll only be able to imagine. Also, once you get past simple things like how miscellaneous basic automotive parts function from HowStuffWorks.com and http://www.autoshop-online.com/ , you can pick one specific thing, let's say turbochargers, and really just try to concentrate on that so that you can see how they work or even better, pick one car, yours for example, and start reading everything you can find on the tubo 1.8....and believe me, there is plenty, even outside these forums, though the information here might be more helpful because there are live people sitting at their computers who know their stuff and all ya gotta do is ask. Good luck with learning, there is a lot out there, but you'll never know until you find out.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts

When I was in highschool I took an auto shop class not because I wanted to be a mechanic, but because I wanted to learn the basics about how engines work as well as other automotive components. Good way to learn hands-on and to learn the basics. That was also the only class I ever took that I got an 'A+' on the final exam without even studying.
In addition to that, I have read, on average, about 5 car magazines per month since I was 13. Not just reading about the cars that interested me, but ALL cars.
I have also read a lot of books on the auto industry, auto companies, auto designers and engineers.
2 magazines I particularly enjoy:
Octane - this is a new UK mag that's made for car nuts. Each issue is a good mix of new cars, classic cars and automotive history.
Classic Cars is another good mag that looks at historically signifigant cars. Each issue also spotlights an historically signifigant engine and goes into detail about what made that engine so special. Some engines covered in recent issues were the Ferrari 250 GTO's V-12, the Beetle's air-cooled flat-4 and the Ford 427 V8.
I find that both these mags review cars that I either knew nothting or little about and makes me want to learn more. For example, there was an article on the ISO Griffo that peaked my interest and now I'm reading a book in ISO as I knew very little about this Italian car maker.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (MEIN_VW)

buy a beater POS, buy a Factory Service manual or at least a chiltons... take apart, put back together. learn lots.

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (nmap)

I would really recommend finding a blown FI overhead cam engine somewhere and taking it all apart. Have someone there to explain everthing and you'll see it so much clearer than in a picture....

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (Silly_me)

Quote, originally posted by Silly_me »
I learned about it when I accidentally walked in on my mom and dad.

Ew

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: learning more about cars (mgyip)

No one in my family gives a crap about cars so when I started getting interested in them I was on my own. I barely knew anything, not even how to change a flat or where my oil goes. Ive been reading the Vortex religiously for about 2 years now and it has taught we worlds of information. Along with countless other articles, how-tos, websites, manuals etc.. I also got a parttime job at a local service center which also helped out a lot just being there. I have a decent amount of book knowledge and a "how it works" sense, but I really lack the hands on experience. Thats where having a friend or family member to help you comes in. Actually knowing what to do and DOING it are two different things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts