VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. I've had my 2002 Passat GLS for about a year and a half. It's completely stock except for the six CD changer I put in myself. I've leased this vehicle, but I have been thinking about some customizing. Since technically VW still owns it, am I better off not changing anything? What's allowed, if anything?
- RichInKC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Leasing and customizing? (RichInKC)

I don't think you are allowed to make any modifications to a leased vehicle including adding the six cd changer. The best thing to do would be to contact VW and ask.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: Leasing and customizing? (macsesso)

I highly doubt any dealer will care that you added an OEM CD changer. They probably won't care about anything that can be easily removed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Re: Leasing and customizing? (RichInKC)

Quote, originally posted by RichInKC »
What's allowed, if anything?- RichInKC

Nothing. But, if you think you'll buy it, go ahead. They'll probably never even notice if you change shocks/springs. At the end of lease they usually just pick it up from your home. Send a bill if your over agreed mileage. Also, a bill for "excessive" wear and tear. Most of the time no bill is sent. In NYS, and other states, you're not responsible for $1500. in dents, scratches, and other minor damage. Dealers hate to mention this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Leasing and customizing? (car_nut)

Quote, originally posted by car_nut »
In NYS, and other states, you're not responsible for $1500. in dents, scratches, and other minor damage.

I've never heard that before. Is that a law or something? I've never seen it in a leasing contract.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Leasing and customizing? (DrivinAJetta)

When you return a car from a lease the dealer has nothing to do with it. He parks the car in the back somewhere and waits for someone to come and inspect it. This is if you haven't had a pre turn in inspection. You will then be informed by VW what if anything you owe.
You would be surprised at some of the things they find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts