VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow up to the timeless designs post, what cars look like a mess after a few years. Not the ugliest cars ever made, but cars that seemed nice at the time and now look awful.
Here's a good example although I'm not sure it was ever considered a pretty car:
1978 Mustang King Cobra

or
1988 Nissan Pulsar NX

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Least timeless designs (FastGTi)

I have to disagree with that. With the exception of a few models, (the Mondial), I still love almost any Ferrari ever made. Even the Mondial isn't too bad, it's just not as nice as most Ferraris.

·
Registered
M340i xDrive
9,131 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (beerman2000122)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have to disagree with that. With the exception of a few models, (the Mondial), I still love almost any Ferrari ever made. Even the Mondial isn't too bad, it's just not as nice as most Ferraris.[HR][/HR]​
I didn't say I didn't like them...but you asked what cars were the "least" timeless...
Most ferraris can easily be dated because of their styling...it's very "in the now" and least of all...timeless

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (beerman2000122)

There's something about the Sentra that says "1995" to me. It makes me think that Nissan had this design ready to hit the showrooms in '95 but postponed it for a few years.

·
Registered
M340i xDrive
9,131 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (MEIN_VW)

quote:[HR][/HR]

There's something about the Sentra that says "1995" to me. It makes me think that Nissan had this design ready to hit the showrooms in '95 but postponed it for a few years.[HR][/HR]​
i completely agree!
now i'll stop whoring this thread

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (MEIN_VW)

There's something about the Sentra that says "1995" to me. It makes me think that Nissan had this design ready to hit the showrooms in '95 but postponed it for a few years.[HR][/HR]​

The "new" GTO. I like the car, but the styling is from the mid '90s. I wish they had designed the car from scratch like the orginal concept GM had a while ago.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (FastGTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]I didn't say I didn't like them...but you asked what cars were the "least" timeless...
Most ferraris can easily be dated because of their styling...it's very "in the now" and least of all...timeless[HR][/HR]​
I think you miss the point, at least, as far as I see it. Timeless doesnt mean that you can't date the car easily by its styling, but rather, that design, which was stylish then is STILL stylish now. Actually I'd say quite the opposite of your comment is true, very very few ferraris have not aged well.
Personally I'd say most 70s and 80s cars dont look so hot right now :p

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (Merc-MarkO)

quote:[HR][/HR]Any of those wood paneled wagons. [HR][/HR]​
You mean fake wood panelled, and I'd have to even limit that to stuff newer than about '66...
I agree with Rook. Timeless means it looked good when new, possibly, but stopped looking good to anyone very shortly, and still doesn't. It isn't about not being able to tell when the car was built, or if it loks like it was built today, but if its style has stood the test of time to still look good, not new.
And yeah, the average boxy '80s sedan, and semi boxy '70s sedans are really not very timeless at all.

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (Chris V)

quote:[HR][/HR]I agree with Rook. Timeless means it looked good when new, possibly, but stopped looking good to anyone very shortly, and still doesn't. It isn't about not being able to tell when the car was built, or if it loks like it was built today, but if its style has stood the test of time to still look good, not new.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I say this:

Granted, it is the Mirth Mobile, but still...

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Re: Least timeless designs (Arachnotron)

The "new" GTO. I like the car, but the styling is from the mid '90s. I wish they had designed the car from scratch like the orginal concept GM had a while ago.[HR][/HR]​
As much as I like the Monaro/GTO, I have to agree that it's styling screams "1995" as much as the Sentra. In fact, it looks like a Lumina coupe. Though given it's performance, I think I could live with the styling.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts